Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Houston Tristar show

Anyone go? Hitting it up tomorrow. First show in about 2 years. Curious what the turnout has been like.

Comments

• McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

I happened to drive by today. Lots of cars in the parking lot. Seemed like a good turnout.

• rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually make it, but could not cram it in to my schedule. Hate to miss it

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • I went last year with my son. I think we paid $60+ just for parking and entrance fees! Show was good, but too expensive to get in the door

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,086 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went to the show today, mainly to get some stuff signed by Randy Jones (Padres' pitcher who won the Cy Young Award in 1976. I was also hoping that PSA would be there, as I have a couple dozen, mostly tobacco cards, that need to be graded. Thing was, according to TriStar's website, PSA was scheduled to be there, but PSA did not have the show listed on their website. Turns out, that there was a "PSA Authorized Submitter" there, taking submissions from people (basically a middle-man); I passed on that, as I'd never heard of them.

There were the usual dealers with the new shiny cards, and assorted older raw cards, but very little in the way of graded vintage. I watched as one man at a dealer's table stood staring at his smartphone, presumably looking up prices, for over five minutes, while the dealer just stood there looking at him, and saying that he might be able to come down on his price if the guy bought several cards, instead of just two.

I came away with five Randy Jones, and one Chris Chambliss autograph, along with buying five UltraPro bat tubes for my growing Padres game-used bat collection. I also talked for a while with Chip Wiley of Gateway Stamp Co, and picked up a signed commemorative cover I needed.

Overall, I got what I most wanted; so it was good. It's just a long, long way from what the shows used to be like. I really hope they're able to get back to where they were before.

Steve

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

I've been to the last six Tri-Stars in Houston and decided to sit this one out thinking my budget wouldn't go that far. In my experience the February show is much better than the June show. Usually, a lot of the same dealers there year after year but with prices 30% or more above last auction price. A dealer really close to the entrance always had a nice selection of graded vintage but they were SGC and I could never pull the trigger on them. Guess I'm a PSA loyalist......