Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

about si for kids uncut sheet.

Hi guys.

I'm Korean and I'm recently interested in si4k magazines and collecting them.

the uncut sheet in the magazine, there are clear dotted lines and there are blurred dotted lines.

The clear dotted line can be easily ripped off.

However, the blurry dotted line is bad even I fold it back and forth many times.

What do you guys do at times like this?

I have a dotted trimmer so I tried it, but the hole spacing is different.

I'll post pictures and descriptions.

lots of advice please
(Please understand with a translator :))

(Rolling saw blade work result - FAIL!!!)

(Results of work with a dotted line cutter - It looks plausible, but it seems impossible to grade due to the different drilling intervals)

Thanks a lot for your advice!!!

Best Answers

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

This thread has some tips for pulling these cards apart the correct way with little to no damage if done right.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1036109/question-about-si-for-kids-cards-update-finally-separated-are-the-jordan-and-griffey-worth-grading

Here's the best recommendation from that link:

LarkinCollector Posts: 8,964 April 16, 2020 1:42PM edited April 16, 2020 1:45PM
    They crease very easily. The best method I've found is folding a 3-card row one way fully, then back the other. Find a clean table/desk with a 90 degree corner, place the remaining 6 with a heavy book over on top, the pre-folded 3 hanging over and firmly pull down. Repeat until you've got singles. It's not perfect, but after a bit of practice, it's becoming pretty rare that I screw them up.

ETA: Folding back and forth until the basically fall apart is another option, but in my experience mangles the perforations enough that you're capped at a max grade of 8. I have yet to get a 10, but have received several 9s with the method detailed above.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@GomTonG said:

@erikthredd said:
    This thread has some tips for pulling these cards apart the correct way with little to no damage if done right.
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1036109/question-about-si-for-kids-cards-update-finally-separated-are-the-jordan-and-griffey-worth-grading

They crease very easily. The best method I've found is folding a 3-card row one way fully, then back the other. Find a clean table/desk with a 90 degree corner, place the remaining 6 with a heavy book over on top, the pre-folded 3 hanging over and firmly pull down. Repeat until you've got singles. It's not perfect, but after a bit of practice, it's becoming pretty rare that I screw them up.

ETA: Folding back and forth until the basically fall apart is another option, but in my experience mangles the perforations enough that you're capped at a max grade of 8. I have yet to get a 10, but have received several 9s with the method detailed above.

———————————————

Thanks for the reply friend.

Why do magazine companies publish dotted lines blurred?

All magazines from 20 years ago had clear dotted lines.

Magazines these days are so bad that the dotted lines seem almost non-existent.

I've already read the reply.

I want to make the blurred dotted line clear.

I can't answer to why the Magazines publish the lines the way that they do but I do know that the Sports Illustrated For Kids card sheets are easier to pull apart in the 2000-2020 years compared to the earlier sheets.

Are you just trying to pull each card from each sheet just to collect or are your intentions to then have them graded?

If its too grade with PSA you have to be real careful to leave the preforations visible after you have them separated.

You also must be real careful not to crease the card as well. Where the cards are usually very thin they tend to get creased real easily.

I would use Larkincollector's instructions from that other thread but I'd also say practice pulling apart some of the lesser valued sheets first before trying the ones with the best cards.

Good luck!

Answers

• Options

@erikthredd said:

———————————————

Thanks for the reply friend.

Why do magazine companies publish dotted lines blurred?

All magazines from 20 years ago had clear dotted lines.

Magazines these days are so bad that the dotted lines seem almost non-existent.

I've already read the reply.

I want to make the blurred dotted line clear.