Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1976 Topps Star Trek Kodak Photos Used by Topps Production - Found Hoard 215 Photos - Any Thoughts?

Chargers49ersLakersChargers49ersLakers Posts: 138 ✭✭✭✭

Hey everyone! Happy Friday! I found this hoard of 215 photos. Based on what I have seen similiar in the past on ebay and major auction house, pretty sure these were used by Topps for production.

I have never seen any before in my life, of what could be used photos for the 1976 Topps Trek set. Any thoughts anyone? Am I wrong? Dreaming I am? Epic fail?

There are like 10 photos that are exact or near exact used in the 76 Trek set. The rest were not used, and many one can tell at least were in the series of shots they picked from. Amazing photos.

The Topps card set is reverse photo of these Kodak shots.

Most are 8.0 - 9.0 fine to very fine/very fine +. Some are 7.0 - 8.0, and 6.0 - 7.0.

Most on back are red kodak label and are dated NOV 74 and DEC 74. Some have the running diagnoal blackish/blue pattern kodak label running across the back no date.

Also, the same as I have seen on ebay and auction house, the sequentially numbered photos in the photo sleeve/binder page. I have seen this sequentially numbered pages advertised as Topps production for sets.

Will send the 10 exact/near exact, and some unsued shots to PSA Photograph for encapsulation. Not sure how they label these? Sure they are either Type II or Type IV. Don't think that really matters if they were printed in 74-75 for Topps production use, thats where the collectibility comes in. Plus, I don't know if they label as "used for the image" in the topps set, as I have seen on some photos for sport/non sport PSA photo labels, at least for the one s that are exact match to the card.

Sizes are 5 x 7, 5 x 3.5, and some are the same size as a standard sport/nonsport card.

I would imagine the ones with exact match would have a nice individual value once encapsulated.

I have examples of all below:

17 Towards The Unknown. If not exact match, then 99% match.

57 Earthman's Triumph. Not exact match, close. Also has number 4 written in upper corner. Could that mean the 4th selected shot in the Gorn series of 4?? 54 55 56 57?

59 Mirror Mirror. Exact match.

And some unselected photos.

I have no idea why the font became huge, and "edit" won't let me fix it. Ha.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic photos!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting how the cards reversed the images of the photo's

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

Yes, I agree, wish I could find more info on this. Well, as long as the ones I send in can be encapsulated, thats the most important.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the dead Gorn! Very cool.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bet they are worth good money to someone. Beauties.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

If your eventual plan is to sell them, I would be quiet about them, then once they come back release them a little at a time so the market doesn't get flooded. Then when word gets out, the rest will bring decent $. Good luck!

• Options

Thank you for the great comments, I appreciate it!! I won't be selling any, not even one. All I collect is 1976 Topps Star Trek! Ha!