Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

89 Upper Deck Griffey to SGC?

I have some cards I want to send in for grading. Most of them are ones I'm not to concerned about who does them. I wanted to send them to PSA but since they are still unavailable for a month or more I'm thinking I'll send them to SGC. A few of the cards, including the 89UD Griffey, I think I should wait for PSA since they seem to be more valuable when PSA grades them. I've never sent in cards before as I usually just buy them already graded. What does the community think? Should I save the better ones for PSA or will the SGC ones be close enough in value?

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

it all depends on the cards and your intent with them. I do not want anything in a SGC, BGS, BVG, CSG, HGA, or any other holder period. PSA standards have tightened so you are more likely to get a higher number elsewhere (which was always the case with SGC before the tightening, BGS was a coin flip). You also have to look at turnaround times, and the cost at each service level. I have 1-3 more subs I want to get out to PSA but after that I am not sure about my approach, and I am used to sending a few hundred out per month or more.

It is never worth it for me to buy a card in a holder I view as inferior. I will never be happy with it in that state, I would sooner buy it raw because then I am not paying for some other companies opinion before I submit.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

Thanks for the quick reply. I also never buy any slabs that aren't PSA for my collection....I guess that pretty much answers my question lol I'll hang on to the good cards until PSA is up and running. I have some other stuff that isnt for my collection, its just for resale. New Football rookies and stuff like that. I'll prob send those off to SGC as the final value wont be much different and I dont want to wait. Thanks again rexvos

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do pick up occasional SGC or BGS (from the 2004-2008 era when IMHO they were on top) but only if I can clearly see the cards before buying. It's a good way to get a great card for le$$.

No I don't crack and resub I'm a collector not a dealer or flipper. Still in last 10 years my PSA purchases outnumber my combined SGC and BGS by about 40 to 1. Funny from 2004-2008 my BGS purchases matched my PSA. After 2009 BGS really put on a clinic on what not to do :) That said a lot of what PSA has and is doing may not have long term viability when (not if) panic phase of bubble burst kicks in.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.