Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Link to free-to-enter paper money contest for anyone interested.

Comments

• Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 7, 2021 7:08AM

Good advert, everyone loves free money.

That PMF forum has gotten stale. They def need new blood as one of their threads is titled "why is this forum so dead?" The answer is that their moderator is highly partial and stifles factual conversation. Kinda wonder why PMG Grading Services sponsor that forum with all the hate against PMG there.

In contrast, I see more new faces and fun conversation here where no moderator asks you to stop posting because of the historical facts you've observed. Collector's Universe is above that and have professional moderators that act impartally.

Thanks to CU for hosting this forum aand seeing it as a fun addition to a great hobby.

PS - I like to go over to PMF, observe which notes buyers are looking for that I own, and them come over here and post those notes for sale. That keeps them returning here.
    :)

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree on some points @synchr, although at times this forum seems to be on life support. The Paper Money Forum has more new threads and comments in a day than this forum does in a week. They also have a monthly contest and separate Souvenir Card and Gallery categories. Some of the Off Topic threads are a bit caustic because they include political debate…

• Options
    edited June 8, 2021 6:51AM

They are dealers and it reveals caustic competition.
    Some of the comments single out certain members and border on personal attacks. The repeated posts criticizing HGR for selling notes "that were less than High Grade" were sad to see nd petty at best.
    That PMF forum has no new blood because the moderators let the convo go one sided and newbies can detect the angst.

I never see that here.
    Simply a passion for varieties, introducing new collectors to notes, and posting great images of notes.

THIS is the forum that is growing - why else would the PMF use a desparate attempt to poach users here?

• Options

I guess we’re going to have to agree to disagree @synchr. The PMF gets more new users, adds more new threads, has more member posts per day than this forum (CU), Coin Community Family (CCF) , Coin Talk (CT) and the PMG forum combined. This forum USED to be Top Dog until several influential members were banned, then many others left. I left here for four years, mostly because it was so anemic. Many frequent several of the forums and personally, I don’t see this thread as “poaching”. Just an invitation to participate in a free and public numismatic contest. I believe you have your own personal grudges that are influencing your opinion. Just a guess…

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

In one of my collecting themes - women on banknotes - I have many a note which would well qualify for said contest. But as @synchr has previously alluded to - there were events last year on that forum which were decidedly untoward and whilst I lurk there, I won't participate.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can understand both points of view and don't disagree with either of your opinions. To each, his own.

However, if I'm only only going to participate in one site or the other (I really don't have time for both), it's going to be this one, for a variety of reasons.

Without getting into my complaints about the other site, I like the CU forum because there's much content of interest to me on the coin side and coin dealers (and collectors) are a huge source for new collectors, and material. But, yes, you'll find more serious currency collectors over there. But many more posts and collectors here, if you include all of the numismatic forums, and I do browse and post in those, too.

I sponsored a couple of the give-aways on PMF and will probably do the same here, when I get a chance. I bet that if I post a notice on the coin forum, I'll get more participants than I did on PMF. There's a lot of coin dealers that will jump at that free chance.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    delistampsdelistamps Posts: 714 ✭✭✭

beryl, thanks for posting a link to the contest. I've been pleased with the variety of contests since the PMF was launched nearly five years ago. This year we already have contest sponsors thru November. And we're planning a cool fifth anniversary zoom celebration in September. I'm not into criticizing any of the forums or social media sites. They all promote the hobby and there's something to learn--or for collecting veterans to share with others--on each one. Let's continue to build community and expand the collecting base!

• Options
    edited June 12, 2021 11:27AM

@SaorAlba said:
    In one of my collecting themes - women on banknotes - I have many a note which would well qualify for said contest. But as @synchr has previously alluded to - there were events last year on that PMF forum which were decidedly untoward and whilst I lurk there, I won't participate.

The history and geography of the conflict is also interesting.

It started here years ago. Several posters caused a series of "problems", this forum would not have the attacks, and subsequent banning by the moderators took place. Those angered became angrier and fueled by angst they decided to form their own forum as PMF. The bad behaviour actually followed them, you witnessed the personal attacks, and now they are reaching out in need of others.

Meanwhile, this forum is happy and nice, being moderated by an impartial.

• Options

The Paper Money Forum July Contest is available now for any PMF member, and it could not be easier to enter. - https://www.papermoneyforum.com/post/the-july-pmf-“pick-me”-contest-11789998?pid=1326863099#pagetopp

• Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2021 1:06PM

I started posting here many moons ago, but when the wholesale exodus from this forum took place I shifted my focus to PMF. I agree with Steve that there is a lot more currency activity over there, which is my main field of interest. But I still drop by this forum every couple months to see what's new.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options

Anything that brings more attention to the hobby is a good thing. Heritage, PCGS, Stacks and a long list of numismatic entities have increased their visibility by participating on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. The Nationals Facebook group I belong to is credible with several members also members here and the Paper Money Forum.

• Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

@BadWithMoney said:
    It's just an inferior communications system. No force in the universe is more powerful than communications, getting it right is critical to civilization. Mindless change is not good and the probably outcome of these bad systems we have created is the destruction of western democracy, a currency forum is small potatoes next to that.

In a forum environment you could have a single sticky thread at the top of the page for people asking if this serial number is worth something, in the facebook world you have an entire group that is just annoying as ****.

-I understand how you feel but I also agree with "Steve_in_Tampa" that overall, anything that gives the hobby more exposure is a good thing. There's a lot of mindless static on several SM platforms (look at Reddit or IG) but nobody forces anyone to peruse these sites. The chatter will eventually fade as some of these newbies get to know what's collectible, develop some goals & so it will take time. Everything goes in cycles. I'm sure that the more curious/dedicated collectors will eventually find their way to better forums such as these. Well, at least I like to remain optimistic. :) about the hobby.

Back on topic: another good contest over at PMF:

• Options

@BadWithMoney said:
    It's just an inferior communications system.

Please help me understand this. Facebook currently has almost 3 billion users, and it’s the largest social media platform on the planet.

• Options

Not to sound argumentative BWM, but I have different results than you when interacting with Facebook. It might just be our devices or the software our devices use. I use IOS and when replying to a comment, my experience is that the platform automatically references the person I’m replying to. Also, I don’t access FB with a phone. I use a MacBook or an iPad.

All threads are disposable. Over time they all get relegated to back pages. Pushed back by newer, more relevant topics. Unless a topic is pinned, it will eventually disappear.

• Options

The busier the forum or SM platform, the faster threads get buried.

For example, if you post a thread on the Paper Money Forum, and it doesn’t get any replies (which would be very unusual) it might be forced off of the 1st page within a day. In contrast, this forum has threads on the 1st page dating back to June.