Home Sports Talk

Lebron James taking heat for walking out early

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lebron James is catching heat for walking out early again.

Sportscasting | Pure Sports

LeBron James Proving He’s a Different Type of GOAT
by Mike Thomas on June 2, 2021

Tuesday night’s performance may have cemented LeBron James as the GOAT. No, not that kind. Michael Jordan owns that one. Jordan never walked off the court and bailed on his teammates. Once again, King James left his Los Angeles Lakers squad on the bench, this time with a little less than half of the fourth quarter remaining. Things weren’t going well, so it was time for him to put himself in GOAT mode — go off and tank.

Simply put, LeBron James is a sore loser

LeBron James #23 of the Los Angeles Lakers reacts as he walks off the court during the second half in Game 5 of the Western Conference first-round playoff series at Phoenix Suns Arena on June 01, 2021, in Phoenix, Arizona. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)
James has walked off the court before during losses. But, never has he done it with 5:44 remaining in the game. When things don’t go well for him personally or as a team, he sulks. King James is a sore loser.

The Phoenix Suns manhandled the Lakers on Tuesday. The Lakers played without Anthony Davis, but they still had James, who is widely considered the best player in today’s game. It just didn’t matter.

James led the Lakers with 24 points in the 115-85 rout, although he probably thinks the score was 105-73 because that’s what it was when he turned his back on his team. After the game, he had a quick comment. “We got our ass kicked. It is that simple,” James said. “They did whatever they wanted to win this game.”

It’s not the first time Lakers star LeBron James has been labeled a quitter
Reacting to LeBron's early exit from Game 5

During Game 3 of the NBA Finals last year, James walked into the locker room before the game ended. Of course, his team was losing. He wouldn’t do it if his team was ahead. There were only 9.7 seconds left. When asked if he was frustrated or if he just lost track of time, he quipped, “both,” according to USA TODAY.

Here’s a hint LeBron: When the buzzer or horn sounds, that signifies the end of the game. The problem with this walk-off was that he was still playing. He was on the court and just headed to the locker room. Is it the end of the world he left with a few ticks left on the clock? No. It’s just not a good look for a basketball player many consider one of the best ever.

In 2018, James’ Cleveland Cavaliers were swept by the Golden State Warriors. Former NBA player Stephen Jackson called out James for quitting and making excuses during the series. James supposedly punched a whiteboard after a tough Game 1 loss and hurt his hand. Jackson didn’t buy that as an excuse.

“He quit. He knew he was playing against a better team,” Jackson said in 2018, according to Yahoo! Sports. “After Game 1, he knew he was beat. Point blank, bruh. It had nothing to do with his hand. They got swept. 4-0. Take it like a man. Go home, bruh.

“I think his heart was questioned. I don’t know if he punched his heart against the whiteboard. Because at times it looked like his heart was hurting. He wasn’t competing, wasn’t giving the same energy we see from LeBron.”

Even former teammate Eddie House called James out for quitting in the 2011 NBA Finals
James was even called out by his own teammate when he was a member of the Miami Heat. Eddie House was on the Miami team that lost to the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA Finals. He spoke about it in 2018 when the NBA’s GOAT topic came up.

“I can’t get over the fact he didn’t show up in Dallas,” House said, according to The Sporting News. “Not only because I was on the team, but the fact he was the best player and everybody was dependent on him to show up and do what he does, and he was M.I.A.

“He had a bad series. Jordan never had that. People killed James Harden for having a bad series last year … but you going to say somebody who quit in the Finals, [at] the end of everything, when all the marbles are on the table, that he’s the greatest of all time? I can’t buy it.”

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,911 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,506 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a feeling Lebaby is going to be one and done this season

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lebron is bigger than the game if Basketball ( in his mind ) 🙄

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was expecting maybe some popcorn. 😉

• SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2021 8:03PM

When the Lakers won the play in game against the Warriors King James hit a 3 as the shot clock expired to put the Lakers up 103-100 on their way to a win and the #7 seed in the playoffs.

At the end of that game "LeBron still had it".

It appears that by yesterday's game 5 loss The King may well have "lost it".

No biggie.

He most likely will have "found it" before game 6 and treat us to a game for the ages, resulting in a Lakers win and a game 7 winner take all.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know its only the start of June but can we agree SanctionII just came up with the typo of the year? :o

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

What typo?

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    edited June 3, 2021 8:54PM

Lebron continues to make an ass of himself. He quit on his Cavs team in the 2009 east finals. Totally quit on them. I watched every minute of that series. His drama queen antics. His shameful and hypocritical treatment of Daryl Morey. Now this.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

The title to this thread has become a nice double entendre after last night. ;)

Happy Hell Night!

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    Happy Hell Night!

In all fairness, my team has also had a pretty rough last few days themselves and we could probably name those two roasting on the spit,Brad & Danny. ;)

Who's LeBrat going to blame this time? LOL

@stevek said:

I don't know, but it's nice to see him out of the playoffs. I don't care for Mr. James, a man who abandons his team when things aren't going the way he wants. Take it like a man Lebaby!

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

I don't know, but it's nice to see him out of the playoffs. I don't care for Mr. James, a man who abandons his team when things aren't going the way he wants. Take it like a man Lebaby!

LeBrat walks out with like 5 minutes still left in the game.

Let's see if he gets fined or not? If he does, we all know it will be nothing more than a gentle slap on the wrist, something he can easily afford. Akin to pocket change for the rest of us.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

When it comes to Lebron, I am not a fan. I am aware that he has done quite a bit of philanthropy, and with this I am impressed. I also realize that, in terms of kids who were proclaimed to be the next big thing, he is probably the greatest example of actually living up to the hype. I could go on, but my point is that there is a lot of ammunition for Lebron fans and defenders. But the reality is that he has come up looking small in too many situations to be in the running for GOAT.

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Daryl. Morey.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    When it comes to Lebron, I am not a fan. I am aware that he has done quite a bit of philanthropy, and with this I am impressed. I also realize that, in terms of kids who were proclaimed to be the next big thing, he is probably the greatest example of actually living up to the hype. I could go on, but my point is that there is a lot of ammunition for Lebron fans and defenders. But the reality is that he has come up looking small in too many situations to be in the running for GOAT.

He praises a communist country because of money and trashes his own. Whatever he is isn’t the kind of person youth should look up to. I hope he continues to destroy his already disguising reputation.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2021 5:24PM

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

He praises a communist country because of money and trashes his own. Whatever he is isn’t the kind of person youth should look up to. I hope he continues to destroy his already disguising reputation.

I am fully onboard with this opinion. I was just pointing out that he has put himself in a position, through fame, money, and some good work, to where a lot of people will take what he spews as gospel. And that is unfortunate.

Edited to add: What he spews is garbage.

Even looking at it in a vacuum, where everything but basketball is removed, he does not represent what I think of as a GOAT candidate. For all the push, there is just too much give-up.

Slight off topic. I still think Larry Bird is the greatest of all time.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

I am fully onboard with this opinion. I was just pointing out that he has put himself in a position, through fame, money, and some good work, to where a lot of people will take what he spews as gospel. And that is unfortunate.

Edited to add: What he spews is garbage.

Even looking at it in a vacuum, where everything but basketball is removed, he does not represent what I think of as a GOAT candidate. For all the push, there is just too much give-up.

Slight off topic. I still think Larry Bird is the greatest of all time.

I agree 100%. What an incredible position he is in to accomplish greatness outside of basketball. Unfortunately he represents all that is wrong. Wrong opinion, wrong attitude and wrong loyalty. These are the last words I’ll waste on this waste of human tissue.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.