Home Q & A Forum

What Generation Please?

AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if someone could please help identifying the generation of this PCGS Slab. I tried the PCGS Holder Museum but couldn't seem to match one up. The Insert is a light green. Thanks very much for any info you could give me.

Best Answers

• Sandman70gtSandman70gt Posts: 978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Steven59 said:
    I have a Morgan in an old PCGS holder that the label is like yours - this is the true color of my label - But, like you I can't find the Gen from the PCGS pictures.

Your holder is gen 2.2. It has a cut label( non perforated). It is missing the outer ring. Broke off-hard old plastic. With the ring gone it makes the holder look like gen 1 original rattler

Bst transactions with: dimeman, oih82w8, mercurydimeguy, dunerlaw, Lakesammman, 2ltdjorn, MattTheRiley, dpvilla, drddm, CommemKing, Relaxn, Yorkshireman, Cucamongacoin, jtlee321, greencopper, coin22lover, coinfolio, lindedad, spummybum, Leeroybrown, flackthat, BryceM, Surfinxhi, VanHalen, astrorat, robkool, Wingsrule, PennyGuy, al410, Ilikecolor, Southcounty, Namvet69, Commemdude, oreville, Leebone

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

AlexinPA 3.0

Steven59 2.2 with outer ring removed

Answers

• Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the color in your photo true to the holder?

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

I have a Morgan in an old PCGS holder that the label is like yours - this is the true color of my label - But, like you I can't find the Gen from the PCGS pictures.

edited June 2, 2021 3:55PM

Heres a good topic from here for PCGS labels - you should be able to find yours ........

EDIT: Added wrong URL, here's the right one........

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/918775/pcgs-generations-updated-6-7-20/p1

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA I believe your holder is a Gen 3.0. PCGS does say that the label die color was not stable which is why some may be of slightly different color like yours.
    https://www.pcgs.com/holders/Gen3.0

@Steven59 Your holder is a gen 1 holder but with a gen 2 or 3 label. I think that someone used the older holder and newer label to make what you have and was not done by PCGS.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

@Kliao said:
    @Steven59 Your holder is a gen 1 holder but with a gen 2 or 3 label. I think that someone used the older holder and newer label to make what you have and was not done by PCGS.

Oh No, that doesn't sound good........

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the color in your photo true to the holder?

No. It is a light green.

• AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you all very much for your help.