Home Sports Talk

Tom Brady rookie card sets new record

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom Brady rookie cards on on fire, this one will set the record for most expensive football card ever sold.

NBC Sports
Tom Brady rookie card already breaks record as auction continues

With just under three days remaining in the auction, a signed Tom Brady rookie card in mint condition will become the most expensive football card ever.

In April, another Brady rookie card in just slightly worse condition set a new record when it was sold for $2.25 million. Via Lelands Auctions, the current bid on the new card sits at $1,895,217. When the 20 percent premium is added in for the auction itself, the current total price of the card sits at over $2.27 million.

Brady rookie cards have now set new records three times since the start of the year. James Park, a known card collector and Brady fan, purchased a Brady rookie card for a record $1.32 million in March. An anonymous buyer snagged the one last month for $2.25 million with the newest price set to push the bar even further.

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,526 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2021 2:11AM

We haven't had a Tom Brady thread in over a week, so here we go. I was starting to go through Tom Brady withdrawal, you people know I need my Tommy fix, and if I don't get my Tommy fix, I'm useless!

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good morning @doubledragon This is what I like to see! Early to work and prioritizing wisely with a Brady thread.

@thisistheshow said:
    Good morning @doubledragon This is what I like to see! Early to work and prioritizing wisely with a Brady thread.

Did you know, there are currently 32,000 Tom Brady cards for sale on ebay!

@doubledragon said:
    Did you know, there are currently 32,000 Tom Brady cards for sale on ebay!

I did not know that. I actually know next to nothing about cards in general.

@thisistheshow, I love cards, I'm on ebay all day.every day looking for them. I collect them because they give me a connection to my favorite athletes. There's no better feeling for me, than finding a card I'm looking for, it guves me such a rush. Yes, I confess, I'm a card addict, and I love it!

@doubledragon said:
    @thisistheshow, I love cards, I'm on ebay all day.every day looking for them. I collect them because they give me a connection to my favorite athletes. There's no better feeling for me, than finding a card I'm looking for, it guves me such a rush. Yes, I confess, I'm a card addict, and I love it!

It sounds like DJ DOUBLE D could use this right about now...
    https://youtu.be/GoSD0DLQII0

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strange because he's not even in the Hall of Fame.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2021 6:23AM

@stevek said:
    Strange because he's not even in the Hall of Fame.

What’s interesting is that Tom is still winning Super Bowls when there are players younger than him already in the Hall of Fame.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve never owned the Championship parallel but at one time I did have a PSA 9 rookie ticket auto that I sold off because my Brady collection was all BGS at the time,roughly-2003-04, and I never got around to replacing it.
    That card will always be the one that got away for me :( thanks for ruining my day lol.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

this is crazy because there has been a definite lull in the brady rookie market for the last month or so. If I were the owner of this card, I would definitely have waited until at least the fall when the documentary airs. whatever this CT sells for, the owner is leaving money on the table by selling it now.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

edited June 2, 2021 8:35AM

This is my favorite Tom Brady rookie card, his 2000 Bowman Chrome refractor. Just look at those colors, beautiful piece of art. If you want one of these puppies, you're going to need a big bank account. There are a few copies on ebay right now for over $100,000 each. And no, this isn't my card, I wish!

Man, what a piece of art. I missed the boat on this puppy a long time ago. I wish I could go back to the year 2000, I would buy every box of Bowman Chrome football I could get my hands on.

Here is the 2000 Bowman Chrome football box that the Tom Brady refractor rookies came in. This box is $19,999 on the bay right now. Does it have a Tom Brady refractor in it? 🤔

Can you imagine paying $20k for a box of 2000 Bowman Chrome football and not finding the Brady refractor, that would suck.

No, get out of here, this is a Tom Brady thread, you're not welcome in here, and take your card with you!

Now back to business, this will cost you $500,000 big daddy!

@doubledragon said:
    Now back to business, this will cost you $500,000 big daddy!

I've owned both in BGS 9, I should probably stay out of this thread lol. :'(:'(:'(

@doubledragon said:
    Can you imagine paying $20k for a box of 2000 Bowman Chrome football and not finding the Brady refractor, that would suck.

That would be like paying 20k for a hooker and finding out she’s a guy.

Adding that I’ve never paid for one, nor do I ever recommend it.

@erikthredd, Now there, there.

@Goldenage said:

@doubledragon said:

That would be like paying 20k for a hooker and finding out she’s a guy.

Oh god!

@doubledragon said:
    This is my favorite Tom Brady rookie card, his 2000 Bowman Chrome refractor. Just look at those colors, beautiful piece of art. If you want one of these puppies, you're going to need a big bank account. There are a few copies on ebay right now for over $100,000 each. And no, this isn't my card, I wish!

I love the Brady refractor rookie as well. They are so beautiful in hand!!

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

I love the Brady refractor rookie as well. They are so beautiful in hand!!

That is awesome, beautiful card!

@doubledragon said:

Love me some pingu. Great show.

@doubledragon said:

Seeing that gif made me remember the time I took my 7yr daughter to see this at the theaters. Halfway thru it she was like "WTF is this crap?" Moral of the story is...never take your kids to see penguin movies if they're not out there dancin lol.

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

Seeing that gif made me remember the time I took my 7yr daughter to see this at the theaters. Halfway thru it she was like "WTF is this crap?" Moral of the story is...never take your kids to see penguin movies if they're not out there dancin lol.

I've taken my nephew and niece to see a few kids movies and they're always the same way, they want to see the action and horror movies. They like, "what is this garbage?" 😂😂

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

I've taken my nephew and niece to see a few kids movies and they're always the same way, they want to see the action and horror movies. They like, "what is this garbage?" 😂😂

Oh,she would have been happy with any other penguin movie but that one they literally did nothing but walk around in the snow with some guy narrating lol. It would have been too boring for Animal Planet and probably would have ended up on the National Geographic channel.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

The only thing player cards were good for when I was a kid waste use them for noisemakers in the spokes of my bike. When my kids were small in the 70's I used to give them packages of gum with the crds in them. They still have them to this day.

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

Oh,she would have been happy with any other penguin movie but that one they literally did nothing but walk around in the snow with some guy narrating lol. It would have been too boring for Animal Planet and probably would have ended up on the National Geographic channel.

And people probably made millions off that garbage, I could make a better movie than that. 🤔

@tommyrusty7 said:
    The only thing player cards were good for when I was a kid waste use them for noisemakers in the spokes of my bike. When my kids were small in the 70's I used to give them packages of gum with the crds in them. They still have them to this day.

My father told me once that he used Mickey Mantle cards for noise makers in his bike. 😭

Interesting, in addition to the base, chrome, and refractor versions of the 2000 Bowman Tom Brady, there is also a promo version of the card. You can see it has a gold promo emblem on the bottom left side and a different back.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,576 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice cards. I'll have to settle for owning a download of the pics. LOL

DD, I'm pretty sure that the Bowman series (not chrome) actually has a Gold version along with that ROY parallel. I could be wrong but I think the Gold was serial #'d to 99 copies.

@erikthredd said:
    DD, I'm pretty sure that the Bowman series (not chrome) actually has a Gold version along with that ROY parallel. I could be wrong but I think the Gold was serial #'d to 99 copies.

Very interesting, I'll have to look into this, I love that promo card. This set is one of my favorite.

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

Very interesting, I'll have to look into this, I love that promo card. This set is one of my favorite.

That Bowman set was really condition sensitive with the paper that they used. They were also prone to chipping real easily compared to the chrome.

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

That Bowman set was really condition sensitive with the paper that they used. They were also prone to chipping real easily compared to the chrome.

I'll be damned, you're right, I had no idea this variation existed for this card. Here's a photo of the Gold version numbered to 99 copies. So that makes 5 different versions of this card.

Another one I've seen people go after is this one, which is a bit cheaper at only $38,000.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

The 2000 Championship Ticket Contenders Brady is the one I regret not breaking my PSA 9 rule for. Supposedly, it is a pop 1 in PSA 9 but I was told the PSA 9 was cracked and sent to BGS. Since I only collected PSA 9 cards, I waited fruitlessly for that card to show up on eBay or in an auction house. I never saw it and I chose not to buy a BGS 9 or a PSA 8. I should have bought a filler card (i.e. BGS 9 or PSA 8) and then waited to see if the 9 ever showed up. I have since learned my lesson and now buy a "lesser" card if something I am looking for is too low pop or never seems to surface.

Robb

@doubledragon said:
    Here is the 2000 Bowman Chrome football box that the Tom Brady refractor rookies came in. This box is $19,999 on the bay right now. Does it have a Tom Brady refractor in it? 🤔

I forgot to add how unlikely one is to actually pull the Brady Refractor rookie from a box. the rookie refractors were extremely short printed in bowman chrome. in fact, you only pulled a rookie refractor in 1:285 packs. I believe there were 24 packs in a box. so it would take what, about 12 boxes on average to pull one rookie refractor.

then, there were 105 different rookie refractors printed.

It would seem practically impossible to pull a Brady against those odds.

then you figure they are asking 20k for a box...

needle in a very expensive haystack.

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

I forgot to add how unlikely one is to actually pull the Brady Refractor rookie from a box. the rookie refractors were extremely short printed in bowman chrome. in fact, you only pulled a rookie refractor in 1:285 packs. I believe there were 24 packs in a box. so it would take what, about 12 boxes on average to pull one rookie refractor.

then, there were 105 different rookie refractors printed.

It would seem practically impossible to pull a Brady against those odds.

then you figure they are asking 20k for a box...

needle in a very expensive haystack.

Yes, you would be much better off just buying one rather than go through all of that, too much risk with no guaranteed reward.

you are right it would be significantly cheaper to just buy the card. 20k for a box is out of this world crazy. you could never recoup that money unless you pulled a brady refractor.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

My father told me once that he used Mickey Mantle cards for noise makers in his bike. 😭

I'm sure I did too. I had all the good players from that era and Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams were my favorite players then. I could not see the value in themat my young age.

• dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

If all us zillions of kids had been "smart" and kept our Mickey Mantle/Ted Williams cards pristine in their original bubble-gum wrappers, they'd be worthless today. And look at all the fun we would have missed!

• Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    The 2000 Championship Ticket Contenders Brady is the one I regret not breaking my PSA 9 rule for. Supposedly, it is a pop 1 in PSA 9 but I was told the PSA 9 was cracked and sent to BGS. Since I only collected PSA 9 cards, I waited fruitlessly for that card to show up on eBay or in an auction house. I never saw it and I chose not to buy a BGS 9 or a PSA 8. I should have bought a filler card (i.e. BGS 9 or PSA 8) and then waited to see if the 9 ever showed up. I have since learned my lesson and now buy a "lesser" card if something I am looking for is too low pop or never seems to surface.

Robb

I submitted mine over a decade ago. Was SURE I’d get a 9. Came back as an 8. This was before PSA had half grades. If I had known they’d adopt this new grading scale, I would have waited. Now it’s cost a fortune to get this card regraded just to get a half point bump. No way.

Needless to say, I’m ok with an 8 for now.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dpoole said:
    If all us zillions of kids had been "smart" and kept our Mickey Mantle/Ted Williams cards pristine in their original bubble-gum wrappers, they'd be worthless today. And look at all the fun we would have missed!

I passed up a display table full of 86-87 Fleer for $15 a box. That stuff will never sell. 😉

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.