Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

First time, I buy portrait 8 Reales

ELuisELuis Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time, I buy this type of coins. Got just two:

Not the greatest, compared to many I have seen here.

I already have a friend that want the coins.

Comments

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on your purchases! Having said that, surfaces on #1 look off to me. Can you post images of the edge and the weight?

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Congrats on your purchases! Having said that, surfaces on #1 look off to me. Can you post images of the edge and the weight?

Here they are:

Thanks!

• Options

Did the other images and weight help? still look off?

• Options

Are you able to post the edge image all around in 4 segments? I'm looking for the design overlaps from this coin being edged on the 2-die horizontal edging machine. Might be the images, but it almost looks like it was silver-washed. Could be that weird toning making me feel that.

• Options

Do not know if these can help, and yes I also noticed the difference, mostly on those spots with a different color in yellow, that I can see with a 16X magnifier.

• Options

And I went and did a gravity test on both coins:
    27.2/2.7=10.07
    27.1/2.7=10.03

What i can see is that sometimes the scale switches to the next decimal back an forth, so on both the weight is 27.1-27.2, I guess this is normal.

Are those numbers right?

Thanks.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2 overlap edge design features mentioned by @TwoKopeiki is a critical design marker. Your SG results are low and suspect. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    The 2 overlap edge design features mentioned by @TwoKopeiki is a critical design marker. Your SG results are low and suspect. Peace Roy

What it is the right number? Just would like to know.

Looks like thes type of coins are not easy, it was my first time that i gave them a try, so I will move on and avoid them in the future.

Thank you!

• Options

Maybe because of this number:

• Options

With SG values for Silver and Copper being 10.5 and 8.92, respectively, a measurement of 10.03 would point to at best a 70% silver / 30% copper alloy.

• Options

^Thanks, will try again the test later today, I found this place, with a great step by step and description:
    https://moneditis.com/tag/specific-gravity/

• Options

@TwoKopeiki said:
    With SG values for Silver and Copper being 10.5 and 8.92, respectively, a measurement of 10.03 would point to at best a 70% silver / 30% copper alloy.

Allright, I went and did the test again:
    27.1/2.6=10.43076

Values from Numista for 8R Carlos IV:
    Composition Silver (.903)
    Weight 27.07 g
    Diameter 39 mm

• Options

@ELuis said:

@TwoKopeiki said:

Allright, I went and did the test again:
    27.1/2.6=10.43076

Values from Numista for 8R Carlos IV:
    Composition Silver (.903)
    Weight 27.07 g
    Diameter 39 mm

Are you saying its nearly pure silver in composition now?

I think you need a more accurate scale.

• Options

^I might end up buying a new scale, this one i have it for quite a long time now (brand: Salter), No idea about the numbers since I am not familiar with this, I went back and did the test again, and since I am hanging by hand the coin with a floss cord, needed to wait until the coin did not moved - was showing for the weight 27.1 and the value inside the water 2.6 -- 2.7 - so i took the lower value. The scale only have one decimal of precision, btw.