Home Sports Talk
Options

Who remembers this incident?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

It occured back in 2014 in the minor leagues in Corpus Christi. A pitcher plunked a batter in the shoulder and a fan ran out onto the field and tried to fight the pitcher.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

Appears as though the team knew him.

May have been his friend who was plunked.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

He doesn't try to fight anybody.

• Options

Here is the story from 2014.

A Corpus Christi Hooks fan was arrested Sunday night after police say he charged the Midland Rockhounds' pitcher during the game.

According to police, Nickolas Swope charged the mound after the Midland pitcher hit a Hooks player in the upper shoulder during the bottom of the fifth inning. Swope was pushed to the ground and surrounded by several baseball players.

Police said Swope was intoxicated and was arrested for threatening assault on the opposing pitcher and trespassing for running onto the field.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,495 ✭✭✭✭✭

LOL that guy made a COMPLETE idiot of himself.

• Options

Warning. This thread is now being derailed towards George Brett talk

The fan makes no effort to fight.

I like to watch these videos and see the intent and false bravado of people.

I have made this comment before here regarding George Brett and the pine tar game. When he runs out at the umpire, he definitely slows up and doesn't really try to go after him. And then he is being held back. Take a look and tell me what you guys think. If you're in a hurry skip to the 2min40sec mark.

https://youtu.be/gbEHAsZxRYo

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Warning. This thread is now being derailed towards George Brett talk

The fan makes no effort to fight.

I like to watch these videos and see the intent and false bravado of people.

I have made this comment before here regarding George Brett and the pine tar game. When he runs out at the umpire, he definitely slows up and doesn't really try to go after him. And then he is being held back. Take a look and tell me what you guys think. If you're in a hurry skip to the 2min40sec mark.

https://youtu.be/gbEHAsZxRYo

I don't think Brett was going to hit him, I think Brett was just really pissed off and might have bumped him with his chest or something like that, like when a coach and an umpire get in eachothers face and they're both yelling at the top of their lungs at eachother. Uh oh, Seinfeld reference time!

• Options

I'll tell you one thing, watching Brett makes me want to chew some tobacco, but what brand do I want? 🤔

• Options
    edited June 1, 2021 10:42AM

I am not sure if this story has been shared on Sports Talk before. But either way, it is very interesting. It gives a lot of behind the scenes information.
    Edited to add: this is the story of the bat boy who made it all possible
    😂😂 https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324867904578594154270594078.html

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I am not sure if this story has been shared on Sports Talk before. But either way, it is very interesting. It gives a lot of behind the scenes information.
    😂😂 https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324867904578594154270594078.html

Very interesting article, I didn't know that story. I wonder if Riley will ever get his 10% cut from the commercial Brett did? 🤔

• Options

There has also been a book written about the pine tar incident.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

Very interesting article, I didn't know that story. I wonder if Riley will ever get his 10% cut from the commercial Brett did? 🤔

You give us so much DoubleD, that it makes me very happy to provide you with some sports nuggets.

• Options

@thisistheshow, Thank you, I'm always on the hunt for fascinating stories in the world of sports and the pine tar story is very entertaining!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

showtime- Do you think Brett was stupid enough to actually hit an umpire? That was not his intent.

Scene- Brett just launches a go ahead home run late in the game. And at that time Brett and the
    Royals hated the Yankees. Brett is the ultimate competitor, hates to lose at anything.
    So he feels he's been robbed of a home run by an umpire on a stupid technicality which the
    commissioner agreed with. Any hard nosed competitor would have gone ballistic, it just
    happened to be Brett probably because he was always getting game winning hits against opponents.

But he was never going to be dumb enough to actually hit an umpire even as mad as he was.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    LOL that guy made a COMPLETE idiot of himself.

Indeed. He did the rope a dope with no ropes

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    There has also been a book written about the pine tar incident.

Greg Pryor, who was with the Royals that year, has a chapter in his book about the incident as well. And an excellent chapter about Disco Demolition Night which he was also present for.

• Options

@Darin said:
    showtime- Do you think Brett was stupid enough to actually hit an umpire? That was not his intent.

Scene- Brett just launches a go ahead home run late in the game. And at that time Brett and the
    Royals hated the Yankees. Brett is the ultimate competitor, hates to lose at anything.
    So he feels he's been robbed of a home run by an umpire on a stupid technicality which the
    commissioner agreed with. Any hard nosed competitor would have gone ballistic, it just
    happened to be Brett probably because he was always getting game winning hits against opponents.

But he was never going to be dumb enough to actually hit an umpire even as mad as he was.

I agree with you that hitting an umpire would have been stupid, and I am glad he didn't. In the article I linked, Brett was insinuating that he would attack the umps if he got called out. That matched with what my eyes tell me. I feel like he ran out as if to fight, expecting to have someone hold him back, and ran a little too fast. That is just how I see it. Either way, I had never read that point of view from the bat boy before. I think it's great that Brett was still messing around with him after the game. Awesome story. So are you saying that you think he ran out there just to go ballistic? You probably know more than me if Brett has ever said it was a good thing that he got held back. Am I looking at it the wrong way? I am being serious. It is interesting to view this type of video, break it down, and think about these things. If you listen to the commentator, I think he says that Brett is having to be restrained.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

I couldn't read the article you linked, it said I had to subscribe.
    From what I remember, Brett told a teammate sitting next to him he was going to kill someone
    if they called him out.

You asked, So are you saying that you think he ran out there just to go ballistic?

No, he went ballistic in the dugout when he saw the ump make the out sign then he ran out there.

His competitive juices were flowing, he had just hit a go ahead dinger and they were trying to take
    it away from him. You and I probably would have done the same thing he did.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

@darin I am not a subscriber either. I went back to the article and couldn't read it. But I think it's a great story that you will really like, so I found it somewhere else, and took some screenshots and put them here for posterity. No link required. After you read through it, let me know if anything stands out. I never read the book, etc, so maybe this is all known.either way...

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

no one in the history of baseball could make a scene quite like George Brett.

not even Mike Schmidt.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here’s another colorful exchange making the rounds again today after 5+ years lol.
    This is NSFW....This is NSFW....This is NSFW....This is NSFW ;););)
    What I’m trying to say here is don’t watch in front of wife & kids
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bn28Dz4RUxc

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Here’s another colorful exchange making the rounds again today after 5+ years lol.
    This is NSFW....This is NSFW....This is NSFW....This is NSFW ;););)
    What I’m trying to say here is don’t watch in front of wife & kids
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bn28Dz4RUxc

That is a classic for sure! I also love the famous Earl Weaver confrontation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f6cmqUTPn08

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps I'll get flamed for this by all the KC homers but...am I the only one that thinks the "pine tar incident" is WAY overrated and overhyped? Brett's a HOF player and arguably one of, if not the best ever at his position... but when his name's mentioned all we ever hear about is this. Someone needs to give me a logical argument as to why this is such a big deal. If it happened today it would make the news cycle for a few days and disappear.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012