Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

1 Franc Vichy France 1943 possible die rotation?

Hello all, I have this 1943 Vichy France 1 Franc Aluminum coin. When I was going through my collection, I noticed that this one has the medal alignment instead of the coin alignment like it should. I've scoured Google, Facebook, and asked multiple people what they thought.

It has been tested for weight, and the weight is right.

It does not seem to have a seam on it, where it was possibly milled and put back together.

It seem unmolested, and not tooled or doctored in any way.

I've added the black tape as a reference for when I flip it, and put it next to a normal one.

I am posting here to ask some of the most knowledgeable people in the business if anyone has seen this, or if it would be worth sending it for verification.

Thank you all for your time!

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked at the few I have... you are correct. I suspect there may have been a small limited production that was incorrectly done. I have not heard of or seen this until you raised the misalignment. Sorry... I 've got nothing

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@coinkat said:
    I looked at the few I have... you are correct. I suspect there may have been a small limited production that was incorrectly done. I have not heard of or seen this until you raised the misalignment. Sorry... I 've got nothing

All good, thank you for your response! I immediately got the other ones I have, about ten of them, and looked at them since there is a light and heavy planchet between the years they were minted

• Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

I would certainly send it for verification and authentication : medal alignement is very unusual on pre euro french coins