Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Fake Jordan RC....Picture of card on Ebay

Comments

• NorcalNorcal Posts: 275 ✭✭✭

he says in his ad that it’s not the real card.

• SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2021 11:19AM

Looks like he has it listed in the "Sports Trading Cards" category even though he's not selling an actual sports trading card. So, even though he describes that it's not the actual card, the listing is still fraudulent.

I hope a big money buyer purchases it, then sues the seller. I'd love to see this seller lose a lawsuit and still be on the hook for Ebay final value fees.

Also, not that Judge Judy is solid legal precedent, but I remember seeing a case where a seller listed a photo of an Xbox and the buyer expected an actual Xbox. The seller was found at fault despite describing it as a photo only.

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Just so sad. Hope the seller gets taken to court.

• PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

Well, if you ever wondered if people read the descriptions, here is your answer.

Also, assuming the seller doesn't own the actual card, could the owner of the actual card get involved, since the likeness is being used without consent?

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.
  • 82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2021 3:09PM

Sad commentary on the reading comprehension levels among folks who as of current bid have 37K to spend.

Seller thought they were being funny. Neither the legal system nor eBay have a sense of humor. Seller needs to wake up and cancel the auction before it ends as in effect its fraudulent. If auction ends eBay will get their 11%-14% fees (or pounds of flesh) of the gross sale (including on the sales tax) via hook or crook. The legal ramifications and associated costs not to mention eBay fees are a high price to pay for a joke.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know if anyone else has other "hobbies" outside of collecting cards but for some reason, I've noticed for a while that sports card collectors are some of the shadiest folks around. Especially a listing like that. Selling a picture? What's the purpose of this? I wish eBay would also be more active and block clowns like that. Probably why he only has feedback of 8. Account closed originally or bogus side account (probably more accurate). Either way, it's just sad the type of folks this hobby attracts. No offense to all who do things the right way. I certainly appreciate those folks and also glad there's a lot of honest collectors out there.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    I don't know if anyone else has other "hobbies" outside of collecting cards but for some reason, I've noticed for a while that sports card collectors are some of the shadiest folks around. Especially a listing like that. Selling a picture? What's the purpose of this? I wish eBay would also be more active and block clowns like that. Probably why he only has feedback of 8. Account closed originally or bogus side account (probably more accurate). Either way, it's just sad the type of folks this hobby attracts. No offense to all who do things the right way. I certainly appreciate those folks and also glad there's a lot of honest collectors out there.

its not just sports cards. if theres money to be had, scammers will be there, hobby or not. art, wine, insurance, watches, airports, shoes, you name it.

and thats right. airports...

https://www.bosshunting.com.au/hustle/nigerian-fake-airport-scam/

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

To add insult to injury he is charging $10 for shipping

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2021 4:39PM

@Vagabond said:

I also collect rare coins and rare wine. Those hobbies are fraught with land mines and shady actors as well

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • DaveSpiwakDaveSpiwak Posts: 40 ✭✭

I’m guessing the seller isn’t really trying to scam but was rather just trying to be funny. All the posts above though make great points about how there’s some pretty serious repercussions though that the seller probably didn’t know about...

Nevertheless, it’s pretty shocking that there would be that many high dollar bids on an item so clearly marked as being not-the-actual-card....

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

I agree. Many people don't read the whole title or don't read descriptions, but I'm surprised it has that high of bids. When I sold my broken Apple watch, I had to list it three times because people didn't realize that "parts only" in the title and then a great description of what was wrong with it meant that it was a broken watch.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Wondering why the seller has pictures of the front and back of the card in the listing? If he really wasn’t trying to confuse bidders.

• georgebailey2georgebailey2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Perhaps it should be marketed as a non-fungible token?

• winterwinter Posts: 73 ✭✭

probably end top money, with payment

• nendeenendee Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Can you edit the description after you list?

Cubs and Purdue Fan - Ouch!

My collecting blog: http://ctcard.wordpress.com
  • SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2021 4:16AM

You can't edit the description after a bid is placed - you can only add to what's already there.

This guy has no clue about the seriousness of what's going to happen. Does he really think it's that easy to scam someone out of hundreds of thousands of dollars and face no consequenses? The "read the description" excuse won't hold water.

I hope someone follows this story.

• DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

This is crazy! To bid that much on any item, and not even read the details?
    1) Title says picture of card -- but that can be open to interpretation as in providing picture of card, or selling just a picture of card...
    2) serial numbers are different on picture of front vs. back
    3) description states it's only a picture -- multiple times even

Looks like a Non-eBay-Store -- so the seller fees might be capped at about $750 (plus the payment processing fees associated with Managed Payments or PayPal).

I'd give this a zero chance of actually selling with money changing hands. eBay would HOLD the payment anyway, and once the buyer gets their picture shipped to them, they will file for a return (after the initial panic and shock calms down). eBay usually sides with the Buyer -- but if this one went to court I wonder what the outcome would be considering the facts...

Just crazy there are several different bidders with good feedback ratings bidding on this picture...

• WalkinDudeWalkinDude Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

I sent the seller a question asking what the size is and will it be printed on glossy paper. He said he doesn’t know the paper or size yet. Apparently the seller has not produced the product yet. What a joke.

Patrick

• professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
    1. People bidding are likely trolling the seller.

2. eBay could / would never collect the fees from a non-sale like this. The idea that the seller would be on the hook for a huge amount is incorrect.

3. It would be quite difficult to prove that this listing is criminally fraudulent, given all the disclaimers.

4. It seems wrong to call the bidders stupid, say fools and their money are easily parted, etc. It's blaming the victim. The seller is in the wrong here. Buyers should do due diligence but only one party is being a jerk.

• jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The listing is gone

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

@WalkinDude said:
    I sent the seller a question asking what the size is and will it be printed on glossy paper. He said he doesn’t know the paper or size yet. Apparently the seller has not produced the product yet. What a joke.

Aren't you supposed to have the item in hand, or have the listing state that it's a presale? It would be a tragedy if that is what brought this whole thing down.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.