Home Q & A Forum

Gold/Silver coins question

Hi - i'm looking for a good dealer as I would like to start buying gold/silver coins to put away as an Investment. There are so many sites out there and I was wondering what this forum's thoughts were on the best and worst dealers out there. Also any thoughts on certain coins that amy better than others for investment and a quicker sale. Apprecaite any guidence from those that have been doing this for a while. Thank you Craig

Working on 1961 1972 1973 topps sets

Comments

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2021 8:25AM

Just a couple of comments, but not addressing everything you’re hoping to hear:
    1. Your goal of successfully making profits from coins as an investment is difficult, especially short term, unless you’re buying coins/items tied heavily to the price of precious metals AND those prices go up.
    2. To make profits from numismatics, you need TIME for your acquisitions to potentially appreciate. You’ll need YEARS of grading experience to make nice profits from buying “raw” coins, and then getting them graded by a major Third Party Grading (TPG) service at a grade higher than what the seller believed the coin to be.
    3. In my opinion, the best shot at appreciation is by sticking to quality coins graded by a major TPG with excellent eye appeal!
    4. Without trying to open a can of worms, in my opinion, your chances of success are increased if you buy coins that merit a CAC. Potentially more profits can be made by those with experience in seeking graded coins without CAC stickers, and them submitting them at only $15 each, and getting them stickered. But this is super tough, as many coins of value without CAC stickers have previously been submitted to CAC, but FAILED to sticker. I buy my coins that already have CAC stickers.
    5. Rules of this forum prohibit us from posting names of dealers to stay away from. In my opinion, most dealers are honest, but even then price negotiation is still absolutely required to avoid overpaying.
    6. Don’t get super focused on price guides. Those are only guides, and numismatic coins are not commodities. Within the same grade with the same TPG, prices will vary quite a bit, and there’s nothing wrong with paying a little more for those coins with the best eye appeal. In my opinion, it’s those coins that will appreciate the most.
    7. Don’t limit yourself just to dealers. It’s also OK to buy quality coins from auctions, such as those from (in alphabetical order) DLRC, Great Collections, Heritage, Legend, and StacksBowers.

I hope you agree this is somewhat helpful.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Craig,

Welcome.

Yes, it's not clear from your question if you are interested in a gold/silver bullion investment or rare coins, valued well above their metallic value. Different dealers specialize in each category, although some do both well.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

And you need to study up on the intricacies of investment grade numismatic items which involves many factors known in statistics. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

As shown on above posts!

• pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2021 8:04PM

I would say forget about investing in numismatic coins. There are so many pitfalls and you have a much better chance of realizing appreciation investing in a good mutual fund. If you want to have some hedge against inflation buy bullion coins or bars at the lowest premium possible (price over melt value) from a reputable dealer.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin