Home Sports Talk
Options

Acts Of Sportsmanship

LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

So much in sports nowadays seems to revolve around negative stories. Whether it be on-field violence, fan involved confrontations, or even off-field domestic issues involving athletes. This stuff seems to pop up every day or so. So I wanted to begin a thread about sportsmanship. As a Braves fan I will begin with a 2010 game 4 nlds 3-2 loss by the Braves at the hands of the Giants. It was Bobby Cox's final game as a manager. After the final out was made the Giants were in celebratory mode and heading to the nls when manager Bruce Bochy held the celebration back to take a moment to salute Mr Cox. I thought that was one of the classiest moments of sportsmanship I have seen on a ball field. I'm sure there are many others. Let's hear them!

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,059 ✭✭✭✭✭

This one happened a few months ago, after Dillian Whyte knocked out Alexander Povetkin, he saw that Povetkin was struggling and he brought him a stool to sit on.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had forgot about boxing when trying to think of some examples. That is an excellent example.

I've seen a number of times when a boxer is being pummeled, and the opponent who is doing the pummeling looks at the ref, to signal to please stop the fight.

Ali did that a few times when he was teeing off on a hopelessly beat fighter.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 31, 2021 7:18AM

The Jacob Webb/Kevin Pillar incident was a good example. Webb texted Pillar to express his concern and check on how Pillar was doing after being hit in the face by a fastball.

Pillar said: “ I’m almost more worried about him than I am myself because I saw his reaction and I know how tough that can be on someone who feels responsible for someone getting injured.”