Home Sports Talk
Options

Any chess players?

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I played quite a bit as a youth. I rate myself as a player that would beat a lot and get beat a lot. Maybe a PSA 7.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I learned the game as kid, I played with my grandmother in the 70’s and after that never really played much again. It’s a great game, I just never kept up with it.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

They say that football is like a chess match using players:

Nice to see Bill Belichick shake the kid's hand and offer him a job as assistant offensive coordinator.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 1:21PM

I’m reigning champion between my
    Pops and all the brothers, haven’t had a match in 3 years though, they’re dukeing it out at holidays for the right to challenge the champ again.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried to learn to play but couldn't get the hang of it. I gave up and moved on to the sports forum, this is my chess, and I love it

• Options

Love it I say!

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

The King hides behind the Queens' skirt.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2021 4:29PM

I played a lot in the day. It's hard to find people now to play

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

I wonder if Tim Tebow plays chess? 🤔

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

I play my son every day.
    Usually after work and dead tired.

I used to win now he wins 95% of the time.
    He plays online and gets on "learning" sites"

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

In sixth grade i was by far the best chess player in the school in which the highest grade in the school was sixth grade. The school had a "chess club" and i joined it. Perhaps around ten or fifteen other kids in the club and none of them could give me any worthy competition.

In seventh grade it was a new school, and I discovered organized school sports such as football and baseball, and also, how do i say it...girls. LOL

So i was busy with all that, besides they didn't have a chess club.

I don't recall playing another game until college. Until one of my fraternity brothers had a chess set and we decided to play. I figured I would leave off where i did in sixth grade and beat him easily.

We played two games. The first game he checkmates me in around four moves. I couldn't believe it. He called it some sort of two word name, can't recall the name, but it's a common trap that amateurs fall into. The next game I sharpened up, concentrated more, and lasted around five minutes before being checkmated. Turns out he plays a lot and had read a number of books about chess strategy.

Haven't played a game since.