Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Lundy Island puffin coin dates

3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know of any other dates beside the original 1929 coins and the 1965 and 2011 restrikes? My bucket list is to get to Lundy, I wonder if they sell the coin sets in their one store?

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2

Comments

• Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Cool coin !

Here's what Numista lists for Lundy : https://fr.numista.com/catalogue/lundy-1.html

• Options

Thanks! Interesting they don’t list the 2011 versions.

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2011 "coins" are unofficial, made and issued by a coin dealer in Germany for sale to OFEC collectors who couldn't afford (or weren;t aware of) the "genuine" Lundy puffins.

There wouldn't be any coins for sale on the island; the 2011 replicas would not have been made available to Lundy's operators and the original coins would have sold out long ago. Any Puffin coins still on the island would be mounted in historical displays. You can, however, buy puffin-denominated unofficial postage stamps.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

I have one - an original.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I also have a 1929 1/2 Puffin.

• Options
    StellaStella Posts: 689 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 1929 1/2 Puffin as well. It has a happy home in my bird collection!

Coin collector since childhood and New York Numismatist at Heritage Auctions.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

This coin carries such a unique history, that it’s probably worth owning an original just for that. A lot of Darksiders loved them and bought them over the 19 years I’ve been here. I wouldn’t mind adding one or two originals to my own collection.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options

One thing about the design I like is the half puffin shows half a puffin figure, the one puffin shows a full puffin figure.

• Options
    carabonnaircarabonnair Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

A set would have cost you 50¢ around 1940.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have both 1929 issues in ANACS AU58.

thefinn
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

I own a half puffin from 1929 that I bought when I was a kid. IMHO the 1966 coins are more in the fantasy realm as they were not made so much for an attempt and circulation and just were created as a curiousity. The 2011 coins are just fantasy fluff IMHO. I also still have a collection of the original postage stamps that were issued - the stamps were used for postal carriage from the island to the mainland.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

What's everyone's opinion on the 1977 special issue - should it be considered more like the 1965 issue or the 2011 issue? These were made in commemoration of the Queens silver Jubilee.