Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Misattributed Coins in TPG Plastic Up for Auction

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

How have you seen issues like this handled? Should I just contact the TPG Customer Service, ask for their variety attribution department or try to go higher up the ladder? Or is there a guarantee department of sorts? Will the TPG try to buy the coin back at auction or reach out to the auction venue and pull the lot and then try to buy it from the current owner. Should I notify the auction venue, if it's not eBay?

Any stories along these lines people can share and what might be the most efficient way of getting something like this handled? Specific names of TPGs or Auction Houses need not be shared. Mistakes happen. It's more important that these things just get handled properly. I've seen a number of misattributed coins in TPG holders but had not run into this specific situation before.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@astrorat said:
    Notify the auction company.

Agreed, and we appreciate it when we’re made aware of such errors.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@astrorat said:

Thanks. So, what normally happens? Misattribution confirmed, lot is pulled, consignor is notified and then what? Does the consignor normally want the auction house to contact the TPG on their behalf...does the TPG offer to buy it off the market and the consignor made whole (or close) so it can be corrected?

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@keyman64 said:

@MFeld said:

@astrorat said:

Thanks. So, what normally happens? Misattribution confirmed, lot is pulled, consignor is notified and then what? Does the consignor normally want the auction house to contact the TPG on their behalf...does the TPG offer to buy it off the market and the consignor made whole (or close) so it can be corrected?

The majority of the time, the coin is withdrawn from the sale, sent to the grading company, re-attributed and offered in a future sale. Once in a while, the consignor wants the coin returned, instead.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2021 3:48PM

@astrorat said:

Others have simply posted the coins here. Mark is here for Heritage and there are Stack's people here as well who have found coins and had them pulled.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@astrorat said:

Others have simply posted the coins here. Mark is here for Heritage and there are Stack's people here as well who have found coins and had them pulled.

Believe it or not, there are times when I will see an email to Heritage faster than a post here.😉

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@astrorat said:

Believe it or not, there are times when I will see an email to Heritage faster than a post here.😉

You mean indirectly contacting someone on a site they may not monitor isn't more efficient than just calling them directly? I'm skeptical.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

I won a misattributed coin in an auction from a well known dealer but they listed the coin correctly and clearly described the TPG lable mistake.
    It was valued about 5 or 6x more than labeled.
    I think it still suppressed the bidding.
    Once received, I let PCGS know and it went through the re-slabbing process at their expense.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    edited May 29, 2021 3:52PM

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@astrorat said:

Don't short change yourself. You're pretty quick!

Of course both are good, but if one is already posting here, it works.

• Options
    edited May 30, 2021 3:40AM

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@Zoins said:

@astrorat said:

Don't short change yourself. You're pretty quick!

Of course both are good, but if one is already posting here, it works.

Thanks, but you should see how (fast) I handle emails.😉

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭✭✭

Have had it happen Twice on heritage and mark helped make it right Within a few hours.

Almost like Jimmy Johns.. WICKED FAST

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    MetroDMetroD Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64

You do not want to mention the TPG by name, and I respect that decision.

That said, this forum is hosted by PCGS. So, I think that it would be 'appropriate/informative' to review how PCGS handles these situations once the coin actually gets back to them. Again, not saying that PCGS is involved ...

The 'PCGS Guarantee of Grade and Authenticity'.

Note the section on "mechanical" errors, which are not covered by the guarantee.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

We all KNOW how you do THAT.

Your administrative assistant prints out your emails on high linen count 75# weight paper.

You read them, take out your quill pen and ink well, and - after proper consideration - pen a response.

Your administrative assistant decyphers your chicken scratch and replies to the original sender. Placing a carefully crafted entry in the correspondence index after filing the original document in one of 100 five drawer filing cabinets in a temperature and humidity-controlled vault.

Then when - sadly - the day comes, the index will be scanned into the NNP, allowing generations of future numismatic scholars to make the journey to your beloved Alma Mater, Watsamatter U to learn from the master.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@BStrauss3 said:

@MFeld said:

Your administrative assistant prints out your emails on high linen count 75# weight paper.

You read them, take out your quill pen and ink well, and - after proper consideration - pen a response.

Your administrative assistant decyphers your chicken scratch and replies to the original sender. Placing a carefully crafted entry in the correspondence index after filing the original document in one of 100 five drawer filing cabinets in a temperature and humidity-controlled vault.

Then when - sadly - the day comes, the index will be scanned into the NNP, allowing generations of future numismatic scholars to make the journey to your beloved Alma Mater, Watsamatter U to learn from the master.

Close, but no cigar. I don’t have an administrative assistant and even if I did, he or she wouldn’t be able ro decipher my chicken scratch. 😉

• Options

@MFeld said:

@BStrauss3 said:

@MFeld said:

Close, but no cigar. I don’t have an administrative assistant and even if I did, he or she wouldn’t be able ro decipher my chicken scratch. 😉

You know how hard medical trascriptionists have it!

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seriously, despite all the processes, and procedures, and quality assurance, and care the TPGs apply, humans make, well human errors. Rarely, but it happens.

Any reputable TPG - and that includes our hosts - will reholder the coin to make sure the label is accurate.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keyman64 said:

@MFeld said:

@astrorat said:

it also depends if consignor was original submitter or bought and their purchase price.

• Options

I have seen a fair few misattributions before. Always wondered how this was handled. Personally I usually just sell them as is but make clear it is a different VAM and provide closeups of the relevant areas

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file