Home Sports Talk
Options

French Open starts Sunday

coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 2nd Tennis Grand Slam of the year to begin on Sunday in Paris, for the next two weeks on Tennis channel. Once again, Rafael Nadal is the heavy favorite to win his record 14th Title. However, there are plenty of worthy contenders in the men's field that is capable of doing some damage. And then two weeks after the French Open is over, the first Wimbledon in two years will begin.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this will be the tournament Rafa takes over the all-time men's grand slam lead.

i remember when Sampras retired I thought no one would ever challenge his mark. boy was I wrong.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I think this will be the tournament Rafa takes over the all-time men's grand slam lead.

He's the heavy favorite for sure. His career record at the French Open is 100 - 2. Amazing.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

One of the hardest things to achieve in pro tennis is to defeat Rafael Nadal at the french open. Coming in today with a 105-2 french open record. He lost to #1 player in the World Novak Djokovic in the semifinals.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Djokovic has seemingly found a level of play that no one in the history of the game has found. He is tough as nails. Novak over the past 3 years has simply been darn near unbeatable. Federer is my favorite; but his window is closing very fast. He probably has a slim shot at Wimbledon; but that is it. I think Novak may run the table in Grand Slams this year; but he still has to win tomorrow. Last nights match should have been the final; but that's a story for another day.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:
    Djokovic has seemingly found a level of play that no one in the history of the game has found. He is tough as nails. Novak over the past 3 years has simply been darn near unbeatable. Federer is my favorite; but his window is closing very fast. He probably has a slim shot at Wimbledon; but that is it. I think Novak may run the table in Grand Slams this year; but he still has to win tomorrow. Last nights match should have been the final; but that's a story for another day.

Agreed on all points. If Novak wins tomorrow, he will be halfway there to the hardest achievement in tennis. Win the calendar year grand slam. He could do it. He will be the heavy favorite to win Wimbledon.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

Novak Djokovic Makes history by winning the French Open, becoming the only man in history to win all four grand slams at least twice in the open era.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

On another level right now. Is he the greatest of all time?? He is certainly on his way to the crown. He almost seems unbeatable when he is playing at a top level. Different sport; but kind of like Michael Jordan in his prime. His mental toughness is unmatched. 0-2 twice in a Grand Slam and pulls it off. Especially in the Final. Just unreal. CONGRATS.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

Is he the greatest of all time?? .

Yes.

He keeps breaking records.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:

@Mickey71 said:

Yes.

Not so sure. All of the dust has to settle in a few years. Hard to pick because they play hundreds of matches. Here's my point.... Head to head Novak leads both in win %; but a CAREER in tennis is not really head to head. There's a few stats that are just mind boggling that no matter I can not ignore:

Federer- 24 straight SEMIS in Grand Slams ( I simply can not get around that record). I can't even comprehend doing that when everyone was gunning for him the whole time. It shows dominance with almost no room for error over a long period of time.

Federer- 10 straight Grand Slam Finals. (Again, I simply can not even imagine this stat)
    - 8 straight Grand Slam Finals. """"""

I actually put Federer, Nadal and Djokovic at a tie. All are incredible.

• Options

@Mickey71 said:

@coolstanley said:

@Mickey71 said:

Yes.

Not so sure. All of the dust has to settle in a few years. Hard to pick because they play hundreds of matches. Here's my point.... Head to head Novak leads both in win %; but a CAREER in tennis is not really head to head. There's a few stats that are just mind boggling that no matter I can not ignore:

Federer- 24 straight SEMIS in Grand Slams ( I simply can not get around that record). I can't even comprehend doing that when everyone was gunning for him the whole time. It shows dominance with almost no room for error over a long period of time.

Federer- 10 straight Grand Slam Finals. (Again, I simply can not even imagine this stat)
    - 8 straight Grand Slam Finals. """"""

I actually put Federer, Nadal and Djokovic at a tie. All are incredible.

Actually its 23 straight semis but you were close. That was a great run for sure. After yesterday, Novak's records impress me a little more.
    2nd career grand slam
    Most weeks ranked #1
    Most season ending years ranked #1
    Only player in history to win every masters 1000 event.
    Most Australian open Championships
    Head to head advantage over Rafa and Roger
    Rafa has only 3 losses at the French Open. Two of those losses to Novak.(Federer never beat Rafa at the French)
    Novak is 3-1 against Roger at Wimbledon..(Rogers best tournament)

I actually put Novak and Laver as the two best in history.

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

And there's a better-than-decent chance Novak would have another Grand Slam title if he hadn't DQ'ed himself at the US Open.

• Options

@Tabe said:
    And there's a better-than-decent chance Novak would have another Grand Slam title if he hadn't DQ'ed himself at the US Open.

True. He could've had two more slams last year if Wimbledon wouldn't had gotten cancelled.

Ignore list -Basebal21