Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Currency
Options

Star notes

Can anyone tell me what these star notes are worth? I can't seem to find any info on them except that they are rare.

Best Answers

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29, 2021 7:16AM Answer ✓

Unfortunately that website is extremely misleading. Modern Star notes are printed and released in massive quantities in full consecutive packs... not individually peppered in one at a time like back in the day. The website breaks down individual print runs for different series, denomination, and FRB’s. No one collects circulated Star notes by print run... sure someone may, even 10 people might... but the website makes people think that these beat up modern notes, often printed in the tens of millions, are going to make them rich, because on their computer screen they see the fancy word “Rare”! 😢

At a recent show I saw a young guy with a pack of 100 cull “Modern” $1 star notes. He was looking at notes for sale at my table and I asked him about his bundle of notes. He said he bought them at the show for $150! He paid $1.50ea for heavily circulated modern $1’s... he even paid the dealer an additional 3% to use his grandmother’s credit card. My heart sank! I’m thinking, ugh this guy just got hosed big time. Fifty bucks isn’t a life changing loss but still I felt really bad for the guy for buying face value material for 53% above face value! 😬 Can you imagine take a $100 bill out of your wallet and selling it to some kid for $153.00?? I’d feel like a royal scumbag.

Did I rub it in and point out his huge blunder of a purchase. Of course not, I tried to be nice and if anything, I remember telling him that if he really likes star notes he could go and buy $1’s from his local bank and search through them for stars... like coin roll hunting! At least then he’s just paying face.

Then the best part of the story happened... he was extremely excited about his purchase because he planned to flip the pack of junk stars on eBay!!! He saw what people were “Asking” for them on the internet and though he was going to surely double his money! 🤦‍♂️

I love this hobby!! 🤪

P.S. - If your modern Star notes have any folds and handling crinkles ...spend them!

• Options
    redsealguyredsealguy Posts: 56 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

In my opinion the whole print run thing on modern star notes is a total internet scam where beginners are misled and taken advantage of. Everyone and their mother are out there looking for star notes in circulation. The vast majority are not rare and never going to be rare. Spend them unless mint condition.

Answers

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Try this website: https://mycurrencycollection.com/reference/star-notes/lookup

You can look up how rare or common they are on this site but it doesn't tell prices -

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got a couple * notes and no idea their value. Thanks everyone for the insight here.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Are they not replacing with star notes the notes that end in 9999 and 10000? That was always a sure way of finding at least a couple of short run star notes in a brick of new ones.