Home Sports Talk
Options

Dad posts video of Tampa Bay Lightening employees making him and his son remove jerseys

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 28, 2021 12:34PM in Sports Talk

Evidently, visiting fans aren't allowed to wear opposing teams jersey's to Tampa Bay Lightening games. A dad has posted a video of Tampa Bay Lightening employees making him and his son remove their Florida Panthers jersey's or get a refund and leave.

Edited to add: This rule applies to club sections only, therefore, this thread is now condemned!

https://youtu.be/oK2egrnbNtA

Comments

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm interested in reaction and follow-up from the team, fans, and the league.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is absurd!

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not sure why this is suddenly big news. The policy (which only applies to “club seating”, not the entire arena) has been in effect since 2015.

• Options

Rear Admiral of Barstool Sports certainly had a colorful reaction. I edited out the bad language and there was a lot of it!

First off, clean this up, Tampa Bay Lightning. Such a bad look. Can't wear opposing jerseys? Then threatening to call the cops on a kid over a jersey? Your policy sucks, whoever decided it. Speaking of...

Secondly, the rest of teams doing this is so lame. Yeah, let's market the league, get fans, then tell a little kid he can't wear a jersey because...who knows? So stupid.

Judging by all the empty seats and dim lights, this guy and his kid went into the arena for warm-ups and had these two hardos tell them that they could not wear their Florida Panthers jerseys. Bad enough they're enforcing a lame policy but it's not even during the game. Father and son take a trip to the big game and get harrassed because they want to support their NHL team.

"If we come back down here, we're getting TPD (if he doesn't remove Panthers jersey)." Are you kidding me? Summoning a cop to enforce a foolish policy on an 11-year-old kid and his dad?

The guy recording even gives them a name of person he spoke to regarding the jerseys but the security tells them that person was wrong and he needs to take his jersey off. Imagine having to speak to a team rep just because you want to wear a jersey after you just spent a nickel on tickets?

"We can't allow you to sit here with this jersey on."

WHAT ARE WE EVEN DOING HERE, TAMPA?!? THIS IS SO EMBARRASSING!

Listen, I've been a huge Tampa/St. Pete/Sarasota guy for decades. The Lightning were my side piece back when I stuck around St. Petersburg when I saw it was a time for a change. Hell, the first Stanley Cup celebration I ever crashed was in Tampa.

I'm a big fan of what they've built and how they showed how well hockey can work in Florida. But, as the kids say, this aint it chief.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would be in favor of a rule, not allowing anyone to wear a Dallas Cowboys jersey anywhere within 500 miles of Philadelphia.

Ya know what, make it a thousand miles just to be on the safe side.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I’m not sure why this is suddenly big news. The policy (which only applies to “club seating”, not the entire arena) has been in effect since 2015.

Ok different story since it was club seating. I thought it was to basic entry into the arena

• Options

@stevek said:
    I would be in favor of a rule, not allowing anyone to wear a Dallas Cowboys jersey anywhere within 500 miles of Philadelphia.

Ya know what, make it a thousand miles just to be on the safe side.

Cat Jerry is not amused!

• Options
  • Options

@Doubledragon it appears this policy is only enforced in the "club" sections. You might to edit the OP to reflect these new developments.

I do want to say that there was no need for her to almost get the police on this case! 😂

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    @Doubledragon it appears this policy is only enforced in the "club" sections. You might to edit the OP to reflect these new developments.

I do want to say that there was no need for her to almost get the police on this case! 😂

Ok, I edited it, and this thread is now condemned. Get out while you can, this whole place could come down any second!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't google it but I can't think of any reasonable business explanation for this jersey rule?

Just a ridiculous rule and i'm presuming the owner personally initiated it for whatever silly reason came into his head?

• Options

@stevek said:
    I didn't google it but I can't think of any reasonable business explanation for this jersey rule?

Just a ridiculous rule and i'm presuming the owner personally initiated it for whatever silly reason came into his head?

It is a ridiculous rule, and I believe season ticket holders are behind it. I think season ticket holders suggested it to the owner and that's how it got started, but I could be wrong. But I think I'm right, but remember, I could be wrong!

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

They just reversed the policy after all the attention this got.

• Options

@PaulMaul said:

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 Good job @Doubledragon. This thread was the difference maker!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@PaulMaul said:

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏 Good job @Doubledragon. This thread was the difference maker!