Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How to Sell Expensive Items

I'm considering selling some high end ($1k+) from my collection and wondering what the best way to do this is.
Any opinion/experience?

I sell cheaper stuff on Ebay and haven't had any problems. But the adage there is "Don't sell anything you can't afford to lose," and I've got some things that run afoul of that bit of advice.

Seller protection is an oxymoron, and I just can't risk a buyer claiming I sent an empty box or returning a rock instead of the graded Nolan Ryan RC I sent him.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

PWCC?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

eBay.

• Options
    jimqjimq Posts: 256 ✭✭✭

I agree with JoeBanzai. They're well organized and take care of everything, All you have to do is make sure they have it listed correctly and then cash the check. You get paid about the middle of the month after the auctions. The cards have to be graded.

That said, you might try the Buy sell Trade forum here too if you have good pics. What do you have?

• Options

Complete sets from 1970-78 with most big $ cards graded. Overall condition ranges from EX-EX+ on the early 1970s sets to NM-MT on the later.

I've been buying/selling on eBay since they gave me $5 to spend on the site in 1999, and the only prob I had was a buyer who negged me for no reason once. But I haven't sold anything more than $300.

• Options

Guys here collect that stuff. Describe it honestly, plenty of pics, fair prices and you might be surprised. Centering and back scans are important

Good luck!

• Options

I don't think I'd want to sell sets on ebay. Too many chances of a buyer replacing your good cards with their crummy ones!

• Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭

As much as I hate to say it, PWCC. They are organized. They respond to you email inquires and you know when you are getting paid. It is what it is.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Vagabond said:
    As much as I hate to say it, PWCC. They are organized. They respond to you email inquires and you know when you are getting paid. It is what it is.

PWCC doesn't list ungraded cards. Otherwise I would agree with sending to them.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

For graded items, consign with PWCC. Sets and raw cards, you can sell it here, blowout, local show or even craigslist. Good luck.

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

most of the Facebook groups have items this expensive all the time with no issues. there are even some high roller Facebook selling groups for the 5-6 digit cards.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options
    winterwinter Posts: 73 ✭✭

I think it's time for ebay, implement a escrow program like they have for watches for expensive cards, lets say over $ 10000
    https://robbreport.com/style/watch-collector/ebay-escrow-protect-luxury-watchs-sales-1234610147/

• Options

Escrow.com seems like a possibility. For a $2500 transaction, it charges $157 if buyer pays with PP/CC.
    I'll have to look into it some more.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jskirwin1 said:
    Escrow.com seems like a possibility. For a $2500 transaction, it charges $157 if buyer pays with PP/CC.

thank you for this. if you end up using them or know of anyone that has, please report back.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@jskirwin1 said:

thank you for this. if you end up using them or know of anyone that has, please report back.

I use them almost all the time for the sale of Domain Names (4, 5 and 6 figures). I know of giants in the Domain Name industry that have used them for 7-figure sales. NOTE: Domain Name sales are much different in that there's no actual shipment of merchandise. Ownership is transferred between accounts at Domain Registrars -- so it's not quite the same as for selling tangible assets such as sportscards or watches.

On their site they mention their partnership with eBay for the sale of watches $10K and up -- it walks you through the process on how the Escrow transaction is conducted.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Would anyone use PWCC for smaller dollar items like BBCE wrapped 80s baseball wax?

No big boxes, all sub $1k for sure.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too