Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1990 Toys R Us Griffey Jr. Rookie - worth grading at lower price level?

I was going through some of my old cards today and found a 1990 Topps Toys R Us Rookie set. I assumed it was worthless but was surprised to see Griffey Jr 10s selling for $300-500 and 9s going for $50-60ish. Would you grade this card at a $20-25 price point? Thanks in advance and sorry for the lack of sophistication with photos/scans.

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

no real input on that, but thanks for a stroll down memory lane...

these & kay bee toys sets were always in the bottom of the stocking every christmas!

card looks to be in great shape, btw.

• Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2021 12:53PM

Ha. Kay bee toys...hadn’t thought of that store in 20+ years

• Options
    billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭

It's up to you, bro...it definitely looks minty fresh!

Do you want to spend almost $30 to grade a card that may or may not be sell-able for $50 or $300 if you're REALLY lucky?

• Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Geoff76 said:

KayBee Toys by me was selling MIB SWRoTJ Imperial Shuttles for $10 each in 1991. An entire wall’s worth. Must have found a case in a warehouse. I bought one and ultimately blew it up in the back yard.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Nice card. Send it in when there's a discount - monthly special or whatnot.

• Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:

@Geoff76 said:

KayBee Toys by me was selling MIB SWRoTJ Imperial Shuttles for $10 each in 1991. An entire wall’s worth. Must have found a case in a warehouse. I bought one and ultimately blew it up in the back yard.

you jedi scum.

• Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

@billwaltonsbeard said:
    It's up to you, bro...it definitely looks minty fresh!

Do you want to spend almost $30 to grade a card that may or may not be sell-able for $50 or $300 if you're REALLY lucky?

Thanks. If it has a decent shot at a 9 ($50-60) I’d send it. 10 (very unlikely, I’m sure) would be a bonus. Not sure I would sell...just don’t want to waste money

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

Wish I could find one of these mini case cards! Came on the case the sets were sent to the store in. I have seen one in 30 years and it sold for 9.99 on eBay..

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options

@jackstraw said:
    Wish I could find one of these mini case cards! Came on the case the sets were sent to the store in. I have seen one in 30 years and it sold for 9.99 on eBay..

very cool. never seen that before. is griffey the only card?

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

i remember buying 1980 football rack packs from kaybee toy store.

• Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@jackstraw said:

very cool. never seen that before. is griffey the only card?

It's the only one I have seen for any year of any player..

Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@Nathaniel1960 said:

@Geoff76 said:

you jedi scum.

Woot.... I liked the diecast cars they had at Kay bee too!

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    UlyssesExtravaganzaUlyssesExtravaganza Posts: 478 ✭✭✭✭

Loved Kay Bee. They used to have a stack of cards that came from busted Rack Packs that they would sell for like 3 cents a piece. Wasn't thinking Gem Mint back then so it was cool to just grab stars and ones I didn't have. Then spend another half hour looking at every single rack pack to see if some nice cards were on top. They sold the Emmitt Smith RC Pro Set box at one point for like $5 a box so I bought a lot of those. Wanted the Jeff George too. Ha. Also loved to stare at the remote control cars I couldn't afford.

• Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

Always did well at KB pulling racks with stars.

Also was able to scoop D&d shrink wrapped adventure modules at clearance for $1.99 each and made a mint selling them on this new site called Amazon in the 90s.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Was rummaging through an old box of cards and found a couple of sets of Kmart cards still the cello wrapper. I gently put them back. I found some bizarre Mothers Cookie's with yellow and brown rays in the background, Jr was on one of them.
    Don't remember how I came by them. Cheers.

• Options
    ABellPharmDABellPharmD Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

Cards like this are what i get down with. The more obscure or odd, the better. There were so many cards made in the late 80s and early 90s that getting all of the odd giveaway or store specific cards can make for a fun set and brings back tons of nostalgia for those of us who grew up back then.

I collect Cal Ripken cards, T206, E95, E210, R319.