Home Sports Talk
Options

Thoughts on NFL jersey change policy

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thoughts on the NFL's new jersey policy and other rule changes for the 2021 season?

NFL approves jersey number rule change, expands single-digit number usage
NFL fans, get ready for a trove of jersey number change fun.

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reported that NFL owners approved the proposal on changes to jersey numbers, per sources informed of the situation.

The proposal, submitted by the Kansas City Chiefs, adjusted the restrictions on who can wear which jersey numbers. Specifically, the approval unlocks the number of players eligible to wear single-digit numbers, which had previously been relegated to QBs, kickers and punters.

The expanded jerseys will allow running backs, tight ends, fullbacks, H-backs and wide receivers to wear numbers 1-49 and 80-89; defensive backs can choose from 1-49; linebackers 1-59 and 90-99; offensive linemen 50-79; and defensive linemen 50-79 and 90-99. QBs, kickers and punters will remain in 1-19.

Expanded practice squads due to the COVID-19 led to some number issues for certain clubs last year, precipitating the number use change.

A plethora of players could look to change numbers, particularly skill position players and defensive backs who might move to single-digit numbers they wore in college or younger years.

Other issues undertaken by the clubs during Wednesday's meeting, per Pelissero:

The league approved expanded booth-to-official communication. The hope is the increase in allowed communication will lead to fewer errors on objective calls that can be clearly seen on television.
A onside kick proposal from the competition committee to limit the receiving team to players in the "setup zone" was approved. The hope is that the tweak will help make onside kicks easier for the kicking teams to recover.

With the competition committee's proposal on onside kicks passing, the Eagles tabled their fourth-and-15 alternative. Pelissero noted that Philly still believes in its motion to add a fourth-and-15 option to retain possession but agreed to test out the onside kick change this year. The Eagles could bring back their proposal next year.
Owners eliminated preseason overtime. It was a no-brainer change. Coaches often avoided tying preseason games late, but the rule ensures playing overtime won't be an option in exhibition games.

The proposal to change the GM and head coach hiring cycles -- pushing back the start of interviews for all clubs until after conference championship games and no hires until after the Super Bowl -- was tabled for more discussion by the diversity committee, per Pelissero. The Buffalo Bills proposed the change to the cycle.
Owners approved a rule proposed by Chicago to ensure the enforcement of all accepted penalties committed by either team during successive extra point try attempts.

The league approved a rule propose by the Los Angeles Rams to add a loss of down to a penalty for a second forward pass from behind the line and for a pass thrown after the ball returns behind the line.

According to Pelissero, one point of emphasis in the NFL competition committee's report will be focused on taunting, per chairman Rich McKay. Pelissero adds that the feeling within the coaches' subcommittee is officials have gotten lax on players going face to face, standing over people, pointing fingers, etc. They won't focus so much on touchdown celebrations in this regard, but expect more flags to be thrown.

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

It wasn't mentioned in the article, but I read where beginning in the upcoming season, it will be lawyers officiating the games, not referees.

There will be a little court room setup in each end zone to litigate the plays as needed.

• Options

@stevek said:
    It wasn't mentioned in the article, but I read where beginning in the upcoming season, it will be lawyers officiating the games, not referees.

There will be a little court room setup in each end zone to litigate the plays as needed.

Your favorite team, the Dallas Cowboys, is making headlines concerning the jersey change. The Cowboys LB Jaylon Smith is going to pay six figures to be able to wear Tony Romo's number 9 next season.

Yahoo Sports

Cowboys LB Jaylon Smith will pay six figures to wear No. 9 next season, spoke with Tony Romo.

Dallas Cowboys linebacker Jaylon Smith will sport a new look in the 2021 season, and it's one Cowboys fans should recognize well. Smith will change his number from No. 54 to 9, according to Todd Archer of ESPN.

It wasn't long ago that four-time Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo wore No. 9 for the Cowboys. Smith reportedly reached out to Romo about the number change. Given that Smith is going through with the change, it's fair to assume that Romo is on board with — or at least didn't object to — Smith wearing No. 9.

Smith must really want the number, which he wore in college at Notre Dame, because he's willing to shell out six figures to wear it.

Under NFL rules, players who want to change their number in 2021 have to buy out stock of jerseys and shirts featuring their old number. Smith is willing to do that. Had he waited until next season, Smith would not be required to buy out his old merchandise, according to Archer.

Cowboys don't retire numbers, but ...
    The Cowboys don't formally retire numbers. With that said, some numbers are off limits.

"Bob Lily's No. 74, Roger Staubach's No. 12, Troy Aikman's No. 8 and Emmitt Smith's No. 22 are not assigned," according to David Helman of DallasCowboys.com. No Cowboys player has worn No. 9 since Romo retired following the 2016 season. Smith will be the first.

In four seasons with the Cowboys, Smith racked up 498 tackles and nine sacks. He was elected to the Pro Bowl during the 2019 season.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m fine with it, I think Smith is an idiot to spend that kind of money though. I read it was north of $550K which is ridiculous

• Options

@perkdog said:
    I’m fine with it, I think Smith is an idiot to spend that kind of money though. I read it was north of $550K which is ridiculous

It is ridiculous, I would keep number 54 before I would pay over half a million dollars to wear number 9, or any other number for that matter.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can see the inherent problem with asking for #9 considering all the championships that Romo won.

🙄

• Options

This is what Smith will look like in his number 9 when he's chasing down Eagles.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

it really doesnt matter all that much to me.

Now Tommy on the other hand...

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps he will get a cut of the action when someone purchases a #9 jersey. How many people were buying #54 jerseys?

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I really liked Jaylon Smith's story. If anyone doesn't know, it is worth looking into. (I'm referring to his injury during his last college game). And living here in Cowboy country, I saw that he seemed like a good guy. But over the last few years, it has become evident that he is all about "his brand" over the team. So him paying that doesn't surprise me. The Cowboys gave him a huge contract that he was not worthy of, so he has a lot of cash.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

I really liked Jaylon Smith's story. If anyone doesn't know, it is worth looking into. (I'm referring to his injury during his last college game). And living here in Cowboy country, I saw that he seemed like a good guy. But over the last few years, it has become evident that he is all about "his brand" over the team. So him paying that doesn't surprise me. The Cowboys gave him a huge contract that he was not worthy of, so he has a lot of cash.

Outside of him being from Notre Dame I didn’t follow him much, sounds like a good story but too bad his attitude has changed

• Options
    edited May 27, 2021 11:15AM

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

Outside of him being from Notre Dame I didn’t follow him much, sounds like a good story but too bad his attitude has changed

He overcame tremendous medical obstacles to get to where he is now. I'm only guessing, but I would say that the belief he needed to have to play football again, combined with maybe not realizing he can't use his feet the same way he could in college, has left him unable to be objective when he looks at his performance. I am going to link a short article here that pretty much sums things up.

Edited to add: Everything I have heard about him is that he is a great, upstanding guy .

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/jaylon-smiths-dallas-cowboys-defense-watch-the-film

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

For a fan it makes it easy to recognize players position the way it was. A 50 something was a LB. It was easy to spot a blitz now it will take some getting used to. My thought is it’s been this way since forever so why mess with it? So what’s the purpose? So college players can keep their #?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    For a fan it makes it easy to recognize players position the way it was. A 50 something was a LB. It was easy to spot a blitz now it will take some getting used to. My thought is it’s been this way since forever so why mess with it? So what’s the purpose? So college players can keep their #?

There was some negativity thrown at Brady and Belichick for their dislike of this change. But I think they were making sense.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

There was some negativity thrown at Brady and Belichick for their dislike of this change. But I think they were making sense.

My take on what Brady said was that it didn’t make any sense really, if a player is blitzing towards you then you would react the same way regardless if his jersey was #99 or #1 right?

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

My take on what Brady said was that it didn’t make any sense really, if a player is blitzing towards you then you would react the same way regardless if his jersey was #99 or #1 right?

AFAIK, his main complaint stems from the disruption it will cause to his pre-snap reads (54s the MIC) . And just the mental/muscle memory of seeing a number and knowing what to expect.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

AFAIK, his main complaint stems from the disruption it will cause to his pre-snap reads (54s the MIC) . And just the mental/muscle memory of seeing a number and knowing what to expect.

Agree 100%. Instincts. If 97 is 5 yards away you have a fraction of a second longer that if 54 or 24 is coming.

So my biggest question still unanswered is why the change?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

That is understandable I guess

• Options

@2dueces said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

Agree 100%. Instincts. If 97 is 5 yards away you have a fraction of a second longer that if 54 or 24 is coming.

So my biggest question still unanswered is why the change?

I think there is/was a number shortage? I’m not certain but I believe it was part of the conversation