Home Sports Talk
Options

Did Julio Jones know he was on-air?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if you've been following this, but while Shannon Sharpe was on live TV during "Undisputed" he called Julio Jones to ask him if he was going to the Cowboys. Shannon didn't tell Julio that they were on air until the end of their conversation and now Fox Sports is in hot water. Here's the story and the video of the on-air phone call.

Report: Julio Jones Interview Causes Concern for FOX Sports, Shannon Sharpe

According to FOS, it was not clear if Jones knew he was live on air with Sharpe along with co-host Skip Bayless.

Falcons wide receiver Julio Jones's interview with Shannon Sharpe of FOX Sports' Undisputed on Monday has reportedly caused concern for the network's relationship with the NFL, according to Front Office Sports.

Sharpe, who called Jones live on air on Monday, asked the seven-time Pro Bowler if he wanted to stay in Atlanta next season and where he wanted to play.

"I'm out of there," Jones told Sharpe. "I ain't going to Dallas, man. I never thought about going to them."

Per FOS, it was not clear if Jones knew he was live on air with Sharpe along with co-host Skip Bayless. The Falcons had no advance knowledge or input into the interview per FOS. The franchise, however, failed to respond to the incident on Tuesday.

Creative Artists Agency, Jones's representatives, reached out to FOX about the situation saying that it has become a "huge deal." FOX recently agreed to pay more than $2 billion a year for 11 seasons to keep its Sunday afternoon NFL TV package.

As an NFL TV partner, this could potentially limit FOX in getting access with the Falcons, access with other teams as well as missing out on premier game matchups.

According to FOS, the Falcons could seek an on-air apology. Undisputed is also produced out of FOX Sports’ studios in Los Angeles. California is a two-party consent state when it comes to capturing a phone conversation similar to that of Sharpe and Jones.

But, both Jones and Sharpe would have needed prior knowledge of the call being aired and recorded. Sharpe could face a misdemeanor charge for violation of California Penal Code Sec. 632, although a complaint would have to be filed.

The misdemeanor charge calls for a $2,000 fine and/or a year in jail. A spokesperson from the Los Angeles Police Department told FOS Tuesday that no complaint had been filed.

Comments

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing burger. Everyone in ATL knows Julio is out and he's fine with it and has said so previously if my memory isn't too pre-coffeed distorted this morning.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was having a conversation with anyone on a network I’d assume it was on air. Either way Julio wants out of Atlanta and everyone knows this is old news. No biggie

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

My money is on him knowing. Listen to the female host, she says they need to "remind him he's on the air", which implies they'd told him once already. Not to mention all 3 people yelled when he answered the phone.