Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Wet note transfer error?

So I was looking through x125 $1 notes and saw this. is this what they call a "wet ink transfer" error?
If yes, what is the value of this note? Should I get it graded?
thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I call it an offset error (front-to-back) and consider it minor. When the error occurs, the first note affected is much darker, with the following notes getting lighter and lighter. With the note being circulated and the error being minor, I wouldn't bother with the expense of having it graded.

• Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭

@mbwizkid said:
    I call it an offset error (front-to-back) and consider it minor. When the error occurs, the first note affected is much darker, with the following notes getting lighter and lighter. With the note being circulated and the error being minor, I wouldn't bother with the expense of having it graded.

Cool. Thanks for letting me know. :)

• Options

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's certainly worth a small premium but, yes, I agree with Steve, the transfer is too light to make it worth certification. On the positive side, it's a 100% transfer and better than a similar note with only part of the design transferred.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed ... too light. I also like to look for a good balance on the four edges of the front on the back of the note.

• Options
    luckyrollersluckyrollers Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭

@mbwizkid said:

Steve, another note I want you to check out. Error it just dirty? Thanks!!

• Options

Good question. I’m not familiar with the LEPE presses and how the sheets are fed through. I guess it’s possible the marks are from rollers or guides in the presses. I don’t know enough to give you an accurate answer.