Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Value Added pack

Hope this doesn't come off sounding ignorant, or something I should know...I have two packs of 1996-97 Collector's choice series one basketball packs. Instead of being marked "Retail" or "Hobby" they are marked "Value Added". What does that mean? Thanks...John

Comments

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know the answer to this question, but wanted to reassure you that this hobby is so incredibly diverse that there is nothing everyone is expected to know.

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

I can give a general answer, but not a specific one. Upper Deck used that terminology in the mid-late 90's for packs sold at Walmart with special inserts. Does the UPC start with 0 28074 or 0 53334? If it starts with 0 28074, that was a Walmart exclusive.

No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    JohnnyDJohnnyD Posts: 520 ✭✭

We have a winner...28074...

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

@AlanAllen said:
    I can give a general answer, but not a specific one. Upper Deck used that terminology in the mid-late 90's for packs sold at Walmart with special inserts. Does the UPC start with 0 28074 or 0 53334? If it starts with 0 28074, that was a Walmart exclusive.

My goodness, the knowledge some people have on here . . . 🙌

• Options
    BatpigBatpig Posts: 460 ✭✭✭

@AlanAllen said:

Ha, that’s your “general” answer.

• Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭

@Batpig said:

@AlanAllen said:

Ha, that’s your “general” answer.

LOL, I mean I don't know what inserts might have been exclusive to the 96 collectors choice packs.

For many years I tried collecting one of every pack from every sport, and I tracked them by UPC in my spreadsheets. Topps, Upper Deck, Fleet, etc each had their own company prefix, but every pack sold at Walmart regardless of manufacturer started with 0 28074. I belive that was the prefix for TREAT, which supplied Walmart's cards at the time.

No such details will spoil my plans...