Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Questions about a large collection of vintage(1950’s)football cards

I used to collect cards with my dad in in the 80’s. He recently moved and gave me all the cards. There are some really nice clean cards in the collection including almost a complete set of 1957 topps with a really good looking Bart Starr rookie. The only card missing is the Unitas rookie. Also a lot of singles from the 50’s and 60’s and complete sets of everything from 1975 to 1987. He was putting everything into top loaders in the 80’s so for the most part everything from the 70’s and 80’s is extremely sharp and most of the older stuff looks high end to me.
I don’t plan on selling the cards anytime soon but I know grading cards has become the best way to care for and certify cards. A few things I’m not sure of though, what is the threshold most people use for getting a card graded in terms of value? Also am I correct that PSA is the preferred grading company for these kinds of cards? Some of the more common cards from the 50’s are in really good shape is it worth grading them even if they are not big names? Any help is appreciated I have been out of the hobby over 30 years and clearly a lot has changed.

Comments

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

PSA is the most popular way to go. If you give us some pics or scans of some of the key cards we can give you more accurate opinions. Typically, new submitters tend to over grade their cards. Showing us some pics can give us an idea of the condition of your cards.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Thanks, i will post some pictures of some key cards. What price point justifies getting a card graded typically. The cost of grading the cards isn’t a big issue for me, but I’m not sure what most people would grade from a value stand point.

• McvillagehtxMcvillagehtx Posts: 103 ✭✭✭

I think to most people the price is a big issue, so there would be a sliding scale.
    Right now they only have Super Express and above available. If you send in something likely to get a PSA 5 and the completed sales on eBay of that grade of that card are in the $250 range then people wouldn't get it graded at this current price point, paying $300 to get it graded.
    If they open back up a service that only costs $50 bucks in the future, perhaps then people would grade said card.
    If, however, the card is good for a PSA 7 and those go for $5,000 on eBay completed auctions, maybe it would be sent in at the $300 level.

It boils down to what grade it can get, how much those go for on eBay and what price ranges are available on PSA currently.

• Here are some pictures of cards I knew had some value. There are thousands and thousands of them and I am a little out of the loop on the 50’s and 60’s stuff but too me the bart star looks pretty good. I would welcome any more experienced opinions. I don’t have any need to sell them so I certainly am not going to pay $300 a pop on them but when things return to normal I would like to get them encapsulated, at least the ones it makes sense to do. Thanks for the help.

• AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Nice cards.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS