Home Sports Talk
Options

Last time you went to the mall?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,019 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just realized, I haven't been to my local mall in years. I used to go there as a teenager all the time and hang out, but as I got older, I just never go as much. When's the last time you went to your local mall?

Comments

• Options

Yes, I remember going to the Four Seasons Mall with my friends, and hanging out all day up there, always up to no good, rebel rousing young punks. My old stomping grounds, I miss the place.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 8:22AM

One place we would always go to was Footlocker to see what the latest shoes were. I remember buying a pair of Air Jordan's for $140 from there back in the 90s.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 8:29AM
    1. December.
  • Options

Spent plenty of time here, pissed away thousands! I don't even think arcades exist in malls anymore, though I could be wrong.

• Options

And escalators were always a fascinating thing to mess around with!

• Options

KB Toys was another fun place to mess around in, I think they also closed down for good.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 9:02AM

You get a toy and then you take it home and unleash it on the family pet, just to get his reaction, his reaction was the real prize!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to talk about malls, and even incorporate sports, there is a lot there. Particularly if you are discussing the way malls used to be before the internet. Or atleast before online shopping was so prevalent. Different times. Different times.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    If you want to talk about malls, and even incorporate sports, there is a lot there. Particularly if you are discussing the way malls used to be before the internet. Or atleast before online shopping was so prevalent. Different times. Different times.

One of the reasons I haven't been to the mall in so long is ebay. I can get pretty much anything I want from ebay delivered to my home with the press of a button.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 9:44AM

Another place I used to love to go to was a store called Spencer gifts. It was like a playland, they had all kinds of novelty and joke items and I remember I bought a novelty Road Kill Diner menu there one time. This was how it looked back in the 90s, I don't even know if they exist anymore.

• Options

And I remember they had a coin fountain and my buddies and me would swipe quarters from it. After a while, you would have enough change for an ice cream cone from Baskin Robbins. >:)

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right before the Covid hit. It was to go to Maceys

• Options

I also remember they had a store called Halloween City, and we would go in there and check out the masks and costumes. I remember I bought a Freddy Krueger glove from there one time.

• Options

This is real mall footage, a swedish dude actually did this.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last week. My wife goes at least twice a week.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

I try to avoid going with the wife at all costs!

• Options

Champs sports store was one of the hot spots at the mall, I don't know if they still exist either.

• Options

And then there's those weird booths and the creepy guy working there!

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was a favorite store during the golden age of video games!

• Options

@perkdog said:
    This was a favorite store during the golden age of video games!

Oh yeah, I remember that, I loved that place!

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are YouTube channels devoted to "Dead Malls" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zov7PEXdVZk

• Options

Yes, we have a dead mall in my city that used to be booming with business, and I remember going there as a kid with my parents. This is Carolina Circle Mall, and it used to have an ice skating rink inside where I would go ice skating and shopping with my parents, and it's completely dead now. It's sad to see these places gone.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,756 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WingedLiberty1957 said:
    There are YouTube channels devoted to "Dead Malls" ...

Any blasters still available?

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was at the mall three weeks ago. Sometimes they have HOF baseball, and football players doing autographs.

Yeah, Spencers store is still there. Sadly, no more record/CD, or arcade stores :(

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 3:03PM

Last year. PF Chang's is at the entrance. I eat there and don't go in the mall.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our local mall has changed to fun activities:

With most of the retail stores either relocating or closing down, Chesterfield Mall has attracted a unique accumulation of entities that provide sporting events, entertainment, creative endeavors, and gathering spaces.

On any given day, walkers can be found everywhere. The Mall Walkers Club provides walkers a great way to get exercise and track their steps for a chance to win prizes. Only the Dillard’s and Sears wings are currently closed to traffic.

Perhaps most notable, are the badminton and pickleball courts set up in the center of the mall. Last month, the courts were full while a pickleball tournament was taking place and in the midst of all that, badminton players were practicing their shots.

At one end of the mall, Earth Surf Indoor Skate Park boasts the largest indoor skatepark at around 45,000 square feet with pop decks, vintage decks, and well over 2,000 decals for skateboarders and scooters. It also claims to have the largest selection of skateboards and longboards in the Midwest.

Then, there’s ProlevelRC – an indoor carpet race track for radio control racing, complete with a small pro shop on site.

YS RHO Martial Arts studio has classes for children 2 years old and adults. There are classes for everyone from traditional Tae Kwon Do and Hap Ki Do to Kum Do.

At the Neutral Zone you can play arcade games and pinball machines with a daily admission rate. Arcade Amusements Plus sells and repairs arcade games and pinball machines and jukeboxes.

For those who would prefer to watch entertainment, Circus Kaput offers a wide variety of novelty acts, shows and strolling performers for any occasion, including jugglers, magicians, stilt walkers and face painters.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 3:21PM

Years and years I doubt I will be going back any time soon (possibly never again they have nothing I want here in my city) not because of Covid-19 just rather order online.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 3:20PM

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

Hey while she is gone do some online purchases for your collection. And pretend nothing happened while sipping your coffee.

Collecting interests: Coins from Latin American (2020-present)

Sports: NFL & NHL

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

Actually she’s pretty good when I’m with her. She goes often enough alone to do her serious shopping. I’m usually with her for Bath and Body sales and Victoria Secret. We usually spend a few hours about town then lunch. She likes the mall as she can do her walking in the air conditioning or when it’s raining.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@KingOfMorganDollar said:

@doubledragon said:

@2dueces said:

Hey while she is gone do some online purchases for your collection. And pretend nothing happened while sipping your coffee.

Oh don't worry, I make up for it on ebay everyday, plus I steal from her purse twice a month!

• Options

I remember when I was young, I went to see the mall Santa. His fake beard was obvious and corny, and he reeked of Stetson. And he was a liar, I never got my ninja turtle!

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 3:51PM

The food court was always fun, there used to be these people that would stand out in front of the restaurants with a tray of free samples and my buddies and me would get full off of them. Suckers.

• Options

The Saturday Matinee was a cool store to visit, it had all of the newest movies and classics.

• Options

There was a music store called Sam Goody, and they would let you listen to CDs.

• Options

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Every few month I go with the wife to the Gardens Mall (Palm Beach Gardens, FL) to Bath and Body Works. Nice selection of dispensable hand soaps there that we use all the time in our house.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

oh the mall. loved it back in the 90s. the place to be. everyone loved to hang out at the mall. ours has been in a slow and steady decline for at least 10-15 years.

kind of sad to see stalwarts of your youth go down.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    YoloBagelsYoloBagels Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

2018, the mall was abandoned for a couple of years by then. Cool place to explore.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭

Went to my first mall back in 1949 or so. It was in Framingham Mass and it was with my parents. I loved going on the escalator as it was a new thing. I quickly found out that the high prices were a good reason not to go there and have not even been in one in 50 years.