Home Sports Talk
Options

All time defensive outfield

GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Range, speed, and arm.

Who do you have in center, right, and left ?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Willie Mays in CF that’s for sure. I can’t really think of LF & RF

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am honestly unsure who I would pick. But I would like to say that as I was thinking of an answer , I thought about how good Josh Hamilton was in right field. I know that he is not the answer, but he was great. Not sure why I thought of him, but......

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I'm making an OF and get to pick anybody, I'm going to pick the three best outfielders I can. And they will all be, by definition, center fielders. Yes, two of them will have to slum it in RF and LF, but that's not my problem. I'll take Mays, Blair, and Andruw Jones. And I'll also say that you couldn't go wrong with Richie Ashburn, Gary Maddox, Bill Virdon, Curt Flood, any of the DiMaggios, Amos Otis, or the completely overlooked because he couldn't hit a lick Ken Berry.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    If I'm making an OF and get to pick anybody, I'm going to pick the three best outfielders I can. And they will all be, by definition, center fielders. Yes, two of them will have to slum it in RF and LF, but that's not my problem. I'll take Mays, Blair, and Andruw Jones. And I'll also say that you couldn't go wrong with Richie Ashburn, Gary Maddox, Bill Virdon, Curt Flood, any of the DiMaggios, Amos Otis, or the completely overlooked because he couldn't hit a lick Ken Berry.

Good call on Virdon.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:
    If I'm making an OF and get to pick anybody, I'm going to pick the three best outfielders I can. And they will all be, by definition, center fielders. Yes, two of them will have to slum it in RF and LF

This makes a lot of sense.

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

1 has to be Andruw Jones. He is unmatched in OF defense. Then I’d go Mays as an unquestioned #2. #3 becomes tough. Jim Edmonds? Griffey Jr.? Paul Blair? Kirby Puckett? Tris Speaker? Yaz? Kaline?

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dallas' list might be a good one, but Amos Otis isn't the best defensive outfielder the Royals ever had.
    That would be a young Carlos Beltran. I think people forget how fast he was when he first came up.
    Think of how good Lorenzo Cain was in chasing down fly balls' at spacious Kaufman Stadium.
    Beltran was even better and he was faster than Cain.
    I saw him hit a routine ground ball to Yankee second baseman Alfonso Soriano and Beltran beat it out.
    Not really softly hit, just routine and Beltran just blazed to first base. Alfonso just looked around at his
    teammates like he was thinking, did you guys just see what I did. How the hell did he get there that fast?
    Beltran IMO the best defensive outfielder KC has ever had and maybe Amos Otis or Cain second and
    I would put Willie Wilson after them since he couldn't supplant Otis as a starter in center when Willie fist came up.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m not a baseball guy and there are probably better but I just liked to watch him play. I’m taking Griffey jr

Martin

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

You're joking about Amos Otis, right? Anyway, Speaker was a lot better than any of your honorable mentions.

Also, while I agree with your rule, I don't think it's playing fair. As far as actual left fielders, I'd take Rickey Henderson, Willie Wilson, or Barry Bonds.

Right should be Clemente, the criminally underrated Jesse Barfield, or Hooper.

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@daltex said:

You're joking about Amos Otis, right? Anyway, Speaker was a lot better than any of your honorable mentions.

Not at all; Otis was a great CF. One of very few players at any position that has several Gold Gloves and probably deserved more than he got. The WAR system says he sucked, but I consider that just more proof (as if any were needed) that the WAR system is useless.

And I intentionally left out the old-old-timers like Speaker and Fielder Jones. No doubt they were the best of their eras, but I have very little confidence in my (or anyone else's) ability to compare them to the modern fielders.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like answering questions like this with guys I saw play. For me it would be Dwight Evans, Cesar Geronimo and Gary Maddox.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

JBJ didn’t make it here yet. The guy is a human vacuum cleaner.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2021 11:03AM

If going by position, I was lucky enough to watch Dewey Evans patrol Right field for most of his career. if there was a better right fielder in the history of baseball, it couldn't have been by much.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

No love for Roberto Clemente?

• Options

@PaulMaul said:
    No love for Roberto Clemente?

Personally I never saw him in his prime. Nor Al Kaline so I left them off my list. Both make a lot of top ten lists

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    I like answering questions like this with guys I saw play. For me it would be Dwight Evans, Cesar Geronimo and Gary Maddox.

m

@Justacommeman said:

m

That's why I just listed Royals. Beltran is the best I ever saw, its funny he started winning gold gloves
    with the Mets when he was already getting slower. He was an absolute lightning bolt as far as speed
    when he was 21-27 with the Royals but no gold gloves.
    Check out his stolen base percentage, I believe its one of the best in history as far as not getting thrown out.
    If he wasn't as fast as Willie Wilson in his prime he was damn close.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember watching a game years ago. Kaline in RF. Last of ninth, runner on third, two outs. Batter hit a single to right. Kaline charged the ball, got it on one hop, fired to first. Runner was safe but I was so impressed at how close he made the play.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Darin said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

@Justacommeman said:

m

That's why I just listed Royals. Beltran is the best I ever saw, its funny he started winning gold gloves
    with the Mets when he was already getting slower. He was an absolute lightning bolt as far as speed
    when he was 21-27 with the Royals but no gold gloves.
    Check out his stolen base percentage, I believe its one of the best in history as far as not getting thrown out.
    If he wasn't as fast as Willie Wilson in his prime he was damn close.

Beltran was great. He would make a lot of peoples lists

m