Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Return prevention?

I'm about to spend a lot of time packing and shipping 600+ slabs and I want to reduce odds of having to reverse this deal in the future. Aside from utilizing PP Gift as the means of payment, is there any other way to ENSURE that I won't be saddled with a return because someone just changed their mind a couple months later?

What if I get the guy to agree in writing that as long as the items are delivered 100% as expected, return is not an option? Is that a thing?

Comments

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

wire trasfer.

• Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭

What kind of dollar amount are we talking about? If lots, you may consider delivery in person, he reviews the cards, and when satisfied he hands you cash and you hand him the cards.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options

venmo , zelle , bank check from a national bank, good old fashioned cash.

honestly if you are selling the guy 600 slabs and have distrust or there is a potential for a return , sounds like a messed up deal to start. most of these delayed returns are on individual cards that the price has cratered I believe, also there are scumbags out there. but if someone is buying 600 slabs, I hope the person has some history. if it is a 5 feedback person on eBay or something like that , then I guess you should be worried

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@beachbumcollecting said:
    venmo , zelle , bank check from a national bank, good old fashioned cash.

honestly if you are selling the guy 600 slabs and have distrust or there is a potential for a return , sounds like a messed up deal to start. most of these delayed returns are on individual cards that the price has cratered I believe, also there are scumbags out there. but if someone is buying 600 slabs, I hope the person has some history. if it is a 5 feedback person on eBay or something like that , then I guess you should be worried

not disagreeing but just stating venmo & zelle will have a very low sending limit initially. usually nothing over $500 - $1k is able to be sent w/o prior history. i would hope that the 600 slabs deal exceed that threshold.

beachbaum brings up a great point though. make sure this isnt some guy wanting to buy a large 1 and done deal using fake or stolen accounts and credentials. even checks, pp fnf or wire transfers can be overturned if the deal wasnt authorized.

• Options

As has been eluded to by several members, more details would give us the ability to give more pointed comments and opinions. Are we talking $1,000, $10,000, $100,000? How far are the two of you located from each other? Was this deal done on some platform like ebay or facebook? What history do you know of the buyer?

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    thehallmarkthehallmark Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

High 4 digits for a junk wax bonanza. 4 states apart. We both have immaculate feedback. There's nothing sketchy - it's a good deal for both of us. My main fear was that this buyer has another buyer lined up, and if his deal fell through he'd just initiate a return and dump it back on me. Or just a last second change of heart.

I don't like having to hold funds aside, hoping for no problems for some vague period of time. I don't like the hassle of accepting a return for one card. Hundreds? No thanks.

Buyer isn't going to be a problem, I'm 99% sure. Thanks for the ideas.

• Options
    edited May 24, 2021 9:18AM

Thanks for the details. I would have the same concerns. How about going a different route than G&S? I've always had the same concerns when selling a large hod podge of stuff. I recently sold a comic book collection. I was concerned about a return, and just like your 600 slabs, it would be an inconvenient and expensive return.

With your buyer, I wouldn't have any concerns. Since they seem to be upstanding, I would think they would work with you if something devastating happened.

>

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thehallmark said:
    High 4 digits for a junk wax bonanza. 4 states apart. We both have immaculate feedback. There's nothing sketchy - it's a good deal for both of us. My main fear was that this buyer has another buyer lined up, and if his deal fell through he'd just initiate a return and dump it back on me. Or just a last second change of heart.

I don't like having to hold funds aside, hoping for no problems for some vague period of time. I don't like the hassle of accepting a return for one card. Hundreds? No thanks.

Buyer isn't going to be a problem, I'm 99% sure. Thanks for the ideas.

Meet half way and do it in person.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭

If you meet in person, better video it. So very easy for the buyer to claim items not received if this was done through ebay.

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

4 States in New England is a nice jaunty drive. 4 states out west is a 1000+ miles.

If I were the buyer, just simply verifying 600 slabs is a good chunk of time. Pack a lunch. Have a bill of sale that includes some detailed language about receipt of and satisfaction with the product that both of you have reviewed and approved before hand.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sgt_D said:
    If you meet in person, better video it. So very easy for the buyer to claim items not received if this was done through ebay.

Cash or approved money order/cashiers check only, ebay can pound sand.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

bitcoin or another crypto of choice?

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

meet in person, exchange cash for cards.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

For that amount of money, I would want to meet and do the deal in cash. He can see what he is getting as you load him up. I would do it in the parking lot of a courthouse or police station. If at a police station, just take a walk in and ask permission to do the deal in the parking lot. They are normally very considerate with these types of things.