Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

A set of Northumbrian coins from Anglo-Saxon England

NapNap Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

The kingdom of Northumbria, one of the petty kingdoms of Anglo-Saxon England, issued coins popularly known as sceats and stycas during the 8th and 9th century. These coins are simplistic in design, especially the later ones which just have a king's name and moneyer's name.

There are 12 different kings and 5 archbishops of York who issued coins.

Despite the relative brevity of the series, several of the coins are very rare.

I started on this set about 10 years ago and recently picked up the last monarch.

Aldfrith 685-705

Eadberht 737-758

Aethelwald Moll 759-765

Alchred 765-774

Aethelred I (first reign) 774-779

Aelfwald I 779-788

Aethelred I (second reign) 789-796

Eardwulf 796-806

Aelfwald II 806-808

Eanred 810-841

Aethelred II (first reign) 841-844

Redwulf 844

Aethelred II (second reign) 844-849

Osberht 849-867

Archbishop Ecgberht 735-766

Archbishop Eanbald I 780-796

Archbishop Eanbald II 796-808

Archbishop Wigmund 837-854

Archbishop Wulfhere 854-896

Comments

• Options
    CucumborCucumbor Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

Exceptional series, thanks for sharing !

• Options
    AuldFartteAuldFartte Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭✭

That is outstanding! All I have from Northumbria is an Aethelred II styca. I'm hoping to acquire more in the future.

My OmniCoin Collection
    My BankNoteBank Collection
    Tom, formerly in Albuquerque, NM.
  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the depictions of animals have a real flare to them!

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool set!

• Options
    ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on completing a very interesting set.

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Congrats, that's a nice group coins.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the design variations. Showing real talent, even back then. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭

A very nice set you've put together. Mind if I ask what the toughest piece was for you to buy and which one was toughest to find?

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome group! :)

• Options

Thanks all!

@Clio said:
    A very nice set you've put together. Mind if I ask what the toughest piece was for you to buy and which one was toughest to find?

Aethelwald Moll is tough because only 4 examples known. But I actually bought my example several years ago; it was not the last one for me to get.

Eardwulf was the toughest for me because one collector owned 5 of the 8 known examples, and the two others that made it to market in the last 10 years made fantastic prices. However the one collector’s collection was just sold this year and the fact that all 5 were offered allowed me to snag one.

Coins of Aethelred I (first reign), Aelfwald I, and Aelfwald II are rare as well, but more obtainable than the two I mentioned. Coins of Aldfrith and Alchred are scarce. The others would be considered fairly common (more than a few hundred known).

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't believe what you have accomplished! Really amazing. It would be wonderful if you could add some narrative about each coin (maybe edit the original post?). I bet I am not the only one who would like to learn more about these coins and these rulers.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

The finest known of the Eardwulf sold for a huge discount the last time it appeared in auction relative to its previous appearance only a couple of years prior (I think). If @Nap had gone full force at that coin recently, maybe the consignor wouldn't have taken as big of a loss. (I did 'encourage' him to bid more, but he kept his sanity or was more afraid of his wife than he was of losing the coin lol!)

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

Congratulations on your set! Now what are you going to collect?

• Options

@EVillageProwler said:
    The finest known of the Eardwulf sold for a huge discount the last time it appeared in auction relative to its previous appearance only a couple of years prior (I think). If @Nap had gone full force at that coin recently, maybe the consignor wouldn't have taken as big of a loss. (I did 'encourage' him to bid more, but he kept his sanity or was more afraid of his wife than he was of losing the coin lol!)

While 10 known sounds like a very small number for most coins, 7 of the 10 known coins of Eardwulf have sold publicly in the last five years, and at least two of them sold twice. That's a considerable number of appearances for such a rare issue with admittedly a small collector base. Prices were undoubtedly going to fall.

@superpsychmd said:
    Congratulations on your set! Now what are you going to collect?

Still working on British coins. The set covers about 1400 years of history. There are still a good number missing. Maybe eventually I'll bring it back even further and work on Celtic.