Home Q & A Forum
Options

Crossing a NGC coin to Pcgs for a possible higher grade

RubiconRubicon Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

Does Pcgs ever give a higher grade to a Ngc crossover or is it a very rare occurrence.

Best Answer

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

@Rubicon said:

@MFeld said:
    Yes and yes.

So chances are very low even if you have a legitimate undergraded coin!

I don’t think that’s what @MFeld said. I believe his answers were:
    1. Does PCGS ever give a higher grade to an NGC crossover, and his answer was yes.
    2. Is that a very rare occurrence, and his answer was “Yes” to that too.
    I don’t believe he said at all that chances are very low even if you have a legitimate undergraded coin. If a coin is legitimately undergraded, then getting an upgrade by PCGS on a crossover has a better chance.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

Answers

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is no general answer. It depends on the coin and how it was originally graded.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes and yes.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    RubiconRubicon Posts: 201 ✭✭✭

@MFeld said:
    Yes and yes.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rubicon said:

@MFeld said:
    Yes and yes.

Frequently, the owner of a coin grades it higher than other do, either because he’s not objective or isn’t proficient at grading. However, if the coin is obviously under-graded, it should receive a higher grade.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.