Home Sports Talk
Options

If you're a Argentinian doctor, don't screw up treating soccer stars

hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 20, 2021 12:16PM in Sports Talk

Leopoldo Luque, who performed the brain operation on Maradona, and psychiatrist Agustina Cosachov were among those charged with "simple homicide with eventual intent," ESPN reported Thursday. Additionally, two nurses, a nurse coordinator, a doctor and a psychologist are also facing charges. They could each face up to 25 years in prison if convicted.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/diego-maradona-death-arrests

Comments

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 12:30PM

One of my sons lived in Argentina and Brazil for two years. One of his observations was that they take soccer very seriously down there. He said, "Those people will kill over a soccer match.....Literally."

• Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 12:30PM

Yes, some countries take soccer very seriously.

In this June 22, 1994, file photo, Colombia's Andres Escobar, lies on the ground and watches a shot by America's Eric Wynalda miss the Colombian goal, during the World Cup match, in the Rose Bowl, Pasadena. The Unites States defeated Colombia by two goals to one. Escobar was shot six times by a man employed by two drug traffickers, who had been complaining to him about his blunder 10 days earlier in Los Angeles. Escobar had knocked Colombia out of contention by kicking the ball into his own net in game against the United States.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 1:12PM

Shame on any rich person, athlete or not that would trust a major surgery to any DR or Hospital in South America. You fly to the USA and get it done here

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

And by all means don't score an own goal in The World Cup. Andres Escobar did against the US in 1994 and paid for it with his life.

The goal had tragic consequences, as a matter of weeks later Escobar was gunned down in his hometown of Medellin, Columbia —with Phil Davison of the Independent reporting that he was killed on account of the own goal.

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Germany beat Brazil 7-1 in a World Cup in Brazil and there were images like this all around the stadium. These people were totally heartbroken and in shock, overwhelmed with sadness and anxiety. This is what happens when you worship a team.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    Germany beat Brazil 7-1 in a World Cup in Brazil and there were images like this all around the stadium. These people were totally heartbroken and in shock, overwhelmed with sadness and anxiety. This is what happens when you worship a team.

I mean I might have looked like that after the 1986 World Series, the 2003 ALCS Championship Series, the 2007 Super Bowl and the 2011 Super Bowl 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

I mean I might have looked like that after the 1986 World Series, the 2003 ALCS Championship Series, the 2007 Super Bowl and the 2011 Super Bowl 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

I think the top and middle reflects my looks best 😩

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a blubbering mess after the 07 SB.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

It was tough. Very tough. But like @perkdog has said, 11 was tougher for me. That was supposed to be the redemption game. And the drop. ☹️

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

It was tough. Very tough. But like @perkdog has said, 11 was tougher for me. That was supposed to be the redemption game. And the drop. ☹️

I’ve never been more ANGRY after any other game ever. All the other games I was upset but 2011 pissed me off so bad, uhhk

• Options

We’ve gone from Argentinian doctors to Patriot Super Bowl losses in a flash. Only a bunch of idiots like us could accomplish that great feat.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

I’ve never been more ANGRY after any other game ever. All the other games I was upset but 2011 pissed me off so bad, uhhk

2011 was so bad. SO bad. At the time, I was not here on Sports Talk. In fact, I wasn't online in any way where I could have found people to commiserate with. Here in Tex, no other Patriots fans around.

Looking back on 07, then 11, then that feeling as the Seahawaks were about to win, is incredible. And the three SB wins after 11, forming a double dynasty bookend to those dark in-between times, is amazing. It is interesting to think about the narratives and how they would have been if not for those next Superbowls. And I think abut how the narratives changed around Brady and the franchise.

@Goldenage said:
    We’ve gone from Argentinian doctors to Patriot Super Bowl losses in a flash. Only a bunch of idiots like us could accomplish that great feat.

Yes, we have accomplished something great indeed! :D

• Options

@Goldenage said:

Fact!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

2011 was so bad. SO bad. At the time, I was not here on Sports Talk. In fact, I wasn't online in any way where I could have found people to commiserate with. Here in Tex, no other Patriots fans around.

Looking back on 07, then 11, then that feeling as the Seahawaks were about to win, is incredible. And the three SB wins after 11, forming a double dynasty bookend to those dark in-between times, is amazing. It is interesting to think about the narratives and how they would have been if not for those next Superbowls. And I think abut how the narratives changed around Brady and the franchise.

@Goldenage said:

I had a Gold Patriots logo ( Charm ) on my gold chain and took it off. I was seriously angry at them

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@Goldenage said:

I had a Gold Patriots logo ( Charm ) on my gold chain and took it off. I was seriously angry at them

I'm sure you've talked about it before here, and maybe even since I've been here and I don't remember, but I'm curious .... Right after that loss, was your anger directed at anyone in particular? I've said here before that it took me years to forgive Welker for that drop. I finally did it and felt better. 😀

• Options
    edited May 21, 2021 4:57PM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@Goldenage said:

I'm sure you've talked about it before here, and maybe even since I've been here and I don't remember, but I'm curious .... Right after that loss, was your anger directed at anyone in particular? I've said here before that it took me years to forgive Welker for that drop. I finally did it and felt better. 😀

I was pissed at the entire team, my fury got extremely elevated after seeing Matt Light and Gronk dancing with their shirts off having a great time right after the game. It really annoyed me that those guys were having so much fun while I was absolutely heated. As far as Welker, I never held it against him really. Brady could have thrown a better ball but yea he should have caught it but he tried, the entire team played awful. Brady throwing that bomb down the middle of the field to NOBODY while standing g in the endzone for the safety got everything rolling in a negative way so blame goes all around

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@Goldenage said:

I was pissed at the entire team, my fury got extremely elevated after seeing Matt Light and Gronk dancing with their shirts off having a great time right after the game. It really annoyed me that those guys were having so much fun while I was absolutely heated. As far as Welker, I never held it against him really. Brady could have thrown a better ball but yea he should have caught it but he tried, the entire team played awful. Brady throwing that bomb down the middle of the field to NOBODY while standing g in the endzone for the safety got everything rolling in a negative way so Blake all around

That's right, my memory must be poor. We just recently talked about the Matt Light and Gronk thing. I remember. No shirts! Dancing away. I don't know if I'm misremembering, but I think Light knew he was retiring, and he said that was him letting off steam. Someone can correct me.

The Welker drop really got to me. Yes, there were so many other moments. But it just felt like that was the game. It took me years. When I finally got over that, it was great. Especially just being able to really appreciate Welker without that hanging over every thought of him. The guy was so amazing. And the other part of it was, I was angry with Brady. It was obvious Welker thought the ball was going to the other side. Ahhhhhhh! And then after the game Gisele was talking all that trash. 👎👎

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@Goldenage said:

I was pissed at the entire team, my fury got extremely elevated after seeing Matt Light and Gronk dancing with their shirts off having a great time right after the game. It really annoyed me that those guys were having so much fun while I was absolutely heated. As far as Welker, I never held it against him really. Brady could have thrown a better ball but yea he should have caught it but he tried, the entire team played awful. Brady throwing that bomb down the middle of the field to NOBODY while standing g in the endzone for the safety got everything rolling in a negative way so Blake all around

That's right, my memory must be poor. We just recently talked about the Matt Light and Gronk thing. I remember. No shirts! Dancing away. I don't know if I'm misremembering, but I think Light knew he was retiring, and he said that was him letting off steam. Someone can correct me.

The Welker drop really got to me. Yes, there were so many other moments. But it just felt like that was the game. It took me years. When I finally got over that, it was great. Especially just being able to really appreciate Welker without that hanging over every thought of him. The guy was so amazing. And the other part of it was, I was angry with Brady. It was obvious Welker thought the ball was going to the other side. Ahhhhhhh! And then after the game Gisele was talking all that trash. 👎👎

Yea it is as just an epic fail all around really. I thought Brady was a lot to blame as well. The Pats made good down the road though 👍👍

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@Goldenage said:

I had to fight my way out of an Irish bar in NYC. Scarred physically and mentally. I didn’t sleep for 3 days. When I finally did I dreamt things only a serial killer might

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@Goldenage said:

I had to fight my way out of an Irish bar in NYC. Scarred physically and mentally. I didn’t sleep for 3 days. When I finally did I dreamt things only a serial killer might

m

Sounds like an interesting story.

• Options
    edited May 21, 2021 6:00PM

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@craig44 said:

@Goldenage said:

m

I remember you mentioning that Mark, that must have been a grueling experience. I was at a bar with my buddy and I had on my Brady jersey, I remember at the time I’d smoke a butt here and there when I was drinking, well I went outside to smoke since I had a really good buzz on and the Pats were down 9-0 in the first quarter and this girl was outside with a Giants jersey on!! Mind you this was at a bar on the Seacoast of Massachusetts and the girl looked at me and said “The Giants are going to win” I wanted to say a very offensive word to her but I didn’t since it was a woman, but that fired me up and the rest of the game as you know was a gut wrenching affair 😭