Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The 2021 National Sports Collectors Convention Official Thread

Just wondering if anyone here is planning on attending. I will be there as I am feeling a lot more optimistic than 2020 for obvious reasons. Already got my hotel booked and have been putting aside spending cash away in hopes of picking up one or two cards from my small list. Only thing I have not purchased yet is the plane ticket but i will probably wait another month before that happens as we get closer to the actual dates. Just to make sure no last minute changes happen.

To be honest, I cant even imagine how crazy it will be this year with so many new people in the hobby. I attended in 2019 and it was a pretty healthy show. It was my first one but everyone just kept talking about what a great turnout it was. I did meet up with a lot of folks there in the evening at a local hotel bar and many would bring their card purchases to share over some cold beers and one was were even doing a live rip for their YT channels inside the bar.

All in all, I am excited to attend and I wanted to see who from here would also be attending and if so, what are you planning on picking up? If you aren't planning on attending but have in the past, perhaps you may share a nice or funny story over something you saw once in attendance. And for those who have never attended, perhaps you have questions about the show that perhaps you may get answers to so that you know what to expect.

Below, I added the link to the National which includes entrance prices along with the guests expected to appear and then just below that, I added a video I did when I was at the last show (2019). It's a little long but it certainly gives a nice glimpse of what to expect because sometimes, its hard to explain in just a few typed words.

https://nsccshow.com/home

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IrfXt_wkpDk&t=1s

Comments

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

I'll be there.
    Have hotel.. Airline ticket today.
    Setting up at show. Nervous & excited.

• Options
    tulsaboytulsaboy Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

Frankly I'm not sure if I want to go this year and if it will be worth my time. Prices have skyrocketed, and are arguably at the highest they have ever been. There is ample room for debate and discussion about why that is the case, but there can be no question that the massive infusion of cash into the economy plus the inability of folks to spend it on typical entertainment options have at least partially driven the increase. That said, I don't think that the National will be a place to bargain hunt. It will, as it always has been, be a source of the rare and hard to find, along with an opportunity to commune with fellow collectors. But for a little guy like me, the expense of getting there and getting into the show probably consumes too much cash given the fact that my spending dollars will not go as far this year as they did in 2019. I am hopeful for an awesome, healthy show with tons of transactions and good opportunities for collectors to find what they need. But because of the huge increases in prices, I'm not sure that I will attend this year.
    kevin

• Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be there. Hotel is booked and I am looking forward to walking the endless aisles, seeing the BBCE booth and catching up with fellow board members. Feel free to reach out if you want to connect at the show. So glad this COVID thing is coming to a close!

• Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will be there, hotel and plane tickets booked. Can't wait to see friends, look at cards and eat deep dish pizza!

Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach
  • Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

May drive in for a day, only a few hours away. Haven't been to one since 91...tried trading my 3 1980 Hendersons for a nice 86 Fleer Jordan....no takers at any table. Very disappointed....came away with a busted out car window and missing stereo though! Good times, good times...

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Question to anyone who lives in or near Chicago. PLEASE PLEASE don't make this political, I'm just trying to get information to make an informed decision as to whether I want to go.

Ive heard Chicago is one of the more strict areas of the country regarding entry into indoor events with the pandemic. I'm not vaccinated nor will I be prior to the show. Does anyone know if they are requiring some sort of proof of vaccination to get into events like this ? I've heard that is the case. I don't mind wearing a mask to the show, I'm just wondering if it is going to be more of a burden than just brining a few masks. Again, I'm not trying to start up any political arguments so please leave hat off the boards and just answer if you live in the are and know the policies.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2021 8:19AM

Jeff: I am in Chicago and while we have been super-regulated, I think the current rule is a maximum number of Unvaccinated people for events. For instance a restaurant may only be llowed to be at 50% capacity, however the restaurant does not have to count vaccinated people in that 50% - if that makes sense....

https://chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid-19/home/reopening-chicago.html

That said, the event is actually in Rosemont, and Rosemont is mostly just big venues - I think they will be full speed by then, and not nearly as controlling as Chicago proper.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

No National for me this year, but for sure 2022. I am playing it safe.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoDodgersFan said:
    No National for me this year, but for sure 2022. I am playing it safe.

Same, with hopes that the prices decline. I am still looking for a nice Jerry Rice rookie in PSA 9 and possibly a Pete Rose rookie in lower grade.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tulsaboy said:
    ......, I don't think that the National will be a place to bargain hunt........ >

It never has been. The few times I've gone, prices were really high. Great stuff to drool at, though :-)

Daniel
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bosox1976 said:
    Jeff: I am in Chicago and while we have been super-regulated, I think the current rule is a maximum number of Unvaccinated people for events. For instance a restaurant may only be llowed to be at 50% capacity, however the restaurant does not have to count vaccinated people in that 50% - if that makes sense....

https://chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid-19/home/reopening-chicago.html

That said, the event is actually in Rosemont, and Rosemont is mostly just big venues - I think they will be full speed by then, and not nearly as controlling as Chicago proper.

Thanks Mike, exactly what I was looking for.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope to see and read everyone's show reports. Lots of pictures please, especially the BBCE booth with all of their treasures. Also a report on the T206 action. Have a great time and safe travels.

• Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

I’ll be there. Everything lined up and will be hunting for interesting non-sport and Japanese cards.

• Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:

@tulsaboy said:
    ......, I don't think that the National will be a place to bargain hunt........ >

It never has been. The few times I've gone, prices were really high. Great stuff to drool at, though :-)

I agree but it also seems like there are always recent price increases right before the Nationals.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    VagabondVagabond Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2021 11:58AM

I attended in 2019 after many years of hearing how high prices are. I got a great deal on a pretty big card and it was all about the cash. I always recommend to bring cash to the National. I saw plenty of cards that were well priced and within range as well. You just have to walk around but you will see them. Lots of competitiveness between tables so one or two of them are going to give you a better deal in order to make a sale. Keep in mind that the tables aren't cheap but that one reason could
    be enough for someone to take you offer (as long as its reasonable as they are looking to break on their table(s) cost.

• Options
    mexpo75mexpo75 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

here is the National in 2022?

PackManInNC
  • Options

Just purchased my flight ticket this past weekend. Already have the hotel reserved. I'll be arriving early Thursday morning and attending the show all day along with Friday and half of Saturday as I will have to leave midway through to go grab lunch and catch my flight back home. There will be meet ups on Thursday and Friday night. I'll post the details here once they are confirmed but I believe the meet up for Friday night will be at the Loews Hotel (bar room area downstairs) which is a couple of minutes away (walking distance) from the convention center.

• Options
    mrburns443mrburns443 Posts: 203 ✭✭✭✭

Here’s a list of the signers scheduled to appear
    https://www.tristarproductions.com/schedule.html#National

• Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thinking of driving out this year for a few days. Does anyone know if the National is an ideal place to sell a high value card if I were to bring one with me ($50k+) ? Do dealers there generally pay good prices for high end items on the spot at the show? Was thinking of bringing and selling a card and using the money to purchase other items at the show.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    edited June 9, 2021 5:13PM

@orioles93 said:
    Thinking of driving out this year for a few days. Does anyone know if the National is an ideal place to sell a high value card if I were to bring one with me ($50k+) ? Do dealers there generally pay good prices for high end items on the spot at the show? Was thinking of bringing and selling a card and using the money to purchase other items at the show.

I believe your best bet would be to sell the card(s) prior to attending. However, you will always get a better deal handling cash.

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

Is PSA having their luncheon this year? They usually send the RSVPs out by now, don't they?

• Options

I will be there. First time attending.
    Got the hotel booked along with some Autograph tickets purchased.
    4.5 hour drive for me so not that bad.

Very excited, hoping to pick up some nice vintage cards.

• Options

Nice! What is everyone looking to pick up? Any specifically. Although I adore vintage, I would like to add a 2018 Topps Update Ronald Acuna (SSP) White Jersey to my collection. How about everyone else?

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

If anyone is on the fence about going, I am looking to split a room at the crowne plaza for Thursday through Sunday. Pm me if interested

• Options
    edited June 17, 2021 7:11PM

@maddux69 said:
    If anyone is on the fence about going, I am looking to split a room at the crowne plaza for Thursday through Sunday. Pm me if interested

Although I am attending with the wife, I'll also be staying there as well (Thursday & Fri) and leaving Saturday afternoon, feel free to reach out for after hours drinks.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cubs are home Wednesday night and Thursday afternoon. I have season tickets if anyone is looking to take in a game PM me. I can usually get additional seats in my section from other season ticket holders I trade with if there is interest from several people. I personally only have a pair of tickets. Just thought I would throw it out there as an option for people.

• Options

• Options

@Vagabond said:

Thanks for the map Vagabond. You hear about how big it is, but seeing the map puts it into perspective

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

wow! that's quite a map....I wonder if by then they will require masks indoors. some places are starting with that again.

• Options
    GOBUCKSGOBUCKS Posts: 47 ✭✭

I got a RSVP to attend the Southern Hobby event on Friday after the show ends for the day. Its really cool to go to, they walk around and throw packs on your table all night to open and then they do raffles into live breaks that the run on the TVs at the restaurant. If you can get in its a must attend event.

• Options

If anyone has an extra room or has decided not to attend please let me know. Last minute decision to go, flight is easy to get but hotels close to the venue are all booked up.

• Options

Has everyone who is attending already booked their flights and hotel?

• Options

I bought 4 day tickets and can't attend. If anyone needs them let me know I think I can email them. Not looking for anything just pay it forward

• Options

What happens if the convention gets cancelled due to the concerns over the delta variant ? Gov seems pretty convinced that indoor super spreader events are leading the away to more cases.

• Options
    momo1234momo1234 Posts: 349 ✭✭✭

@basketballcollector said:
    What happens if the convention gets cancelled due to the concerns over the delta variant ? Gov seems pretty convinced that indoor super spreader events are leading the away to more cases.

The way I see it. Worst case they’ll make you wear a mask. Chicago can’t survive another shutdown. I was just at a conference where they checked your vaccine card and your temp. And if you didn’t have either you wore a mask. I can see that happening but doubt it will before august 1

• Options

@zilli1010 said:
    I bought 4 day tickets and can't attend. If anyone needs them let me know I think I can email them. Not looking for anything just pay it forward

Tickets are no longer available. Enjoy the show

• Options

@zilli1010 said:

@zilli1010 said:

Tickets are no longer available. Enjoy the show

It's the thought that counts, that was a generous offer.

Welcome to the boards!

• Options

Flying out Thursday morning at 7am. Should be landing in Chicago around 9:20am and I plan on being inside by 11. I cannot wait!!

• Options
    robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2021 5:15PM

@Vagabond said:
    Flying out Thursday morning at 7am. Should be landing in Chicago around 9:20am and I plan on being inside by 11. I cannot wait!!

Awesome! Had to cancel last month and am hating it today!

Looked at a lot of setup pics and posts on Instagram today and I'm bummed I won't be there.

Rosemont is the best location for the show IMO. Oh well, I hope to give Atlantic City a shot in 2022!

Everyone going this year, please have a great and safe time and post pics of the show and your pick ups!