Home Sports Talk
Options

As Casey Kasem would say: And The (no) Hits Just Keep on Comin'!

SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cory Kluber just no-hit the Rangers.

6th no-hitter this season, and we're still in May.

Steve

Comments

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SDSportsFan said:
    Cory Kluber just no-hit the Rangers.

6th no-hitter this season, and we're still in May.

Steve

And the first NY Yankee no no on the ROAD since 1923 when the original Yankee Stadium opened. Crazy.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 8:27PM

Also the Yankees' first no-hitter of the century.

Their last one was David Cone's perfect game in 1999.

Steve

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

it is getting easier and easier to both amass strikeouts and no-hitters in today's game. hitters have become one dimensional trying to swing for the fences. it makes hits that are non-home runs mistakes in a sense.

there is no such thing as protecting the plate anymore. just grip it and rip it. or strike out trying.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭

Seattle has been no hit twice this year already, the season is young there is time for Seattle to be no hit several more times this year, and to make matters better we just got swept by the Tigers same old Seattle Mariners the laughing stock of the league.......

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 7:36AM

You know who won't have a no hitter this year...the Braves. Man our starters and bullpen just suck.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

My lowly M’s usually only get 2 or 3 hits per game, so no hitting them is no great feat.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    it is getting easier and easier to both amass strikeouts and no-hitters in today's game. hitters have become one dimensional trying to swing for the fences. it makes hits that are non-home runs mistakes in a sense.

there is no such thing as protecting the plate anymore. just grip it and rip it. or strike out trying.

That and MLB changed the balls. On pace for the worst offensive season collectively in a very long time

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@craig44 said:

That and MLB changed the balls. On pace for the worst offensive season collectively in a very long time

good point about the balls. I also believe pitchers are now allowed to use a sticky like substance similar to bug spray to get a better grip which makes their spin rate increase.

• Options

I love home runs and all, but the current game makes me miss guys like Boggs, Carew and Gwynn. I think it is safe to say there would be no shifts employed on guys like that.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

No hitters are exciting. But more no hitters means more games with anemic offense, and those are not fun.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s because of the lowly salaries MLB pays their hitters. I mean you can’t expect guys to hit making a measly $20M a year. Barely a living wage.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

this is true. you cant expect much working out in the off-season when they have to hold down a job just to make ends meet.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

plus MadBum had a 7 inning No-No

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

As mentioned above, MLB made changes so as to allow the pitchers more advantages. And this definitely is helping the no hitters. Like I said, a no hitter is exciting. Fans love it. They keep the game on until the end and stay in the seat until the 9th. But the residue of more no hitters is more two and three hit snooze fests. So this is unfortunate.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrBuster said:
    You know who won't have a no hitter this year...the Braves. Man our starters and bullpen just suck.

As a Braves fan I have to unfortunately agree with you. Snit about cost us that game last by taking Morton out after 6. He was dealing. My opinion is the bullpen is the real issue. Snit has to let a starter stay in games as long as possible to lessen the effect of this bullpen of shambles. At least Chris Martin is back. Maybe he should be closing because Will Smith is not that guy that was promised when we signed him. Sorry for my Braves rant, frustrated.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@craig44 said:

I have heard about this and it makes sense. How did they alter the balls? By weight?

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Dave99B said:
    My lowly M’s usually only get 2 or 3 hits per game, so no hitting them is no great feat.

Dave

After the no-hitter by Detroit, Seattle was hitting .199 as a team.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:

@Justacommeman said:

@craig44 said:

I have heard about this and it makes sense. How did they alter the balls? By weight?

I think they over did whatever they sought out to do

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-to-alter-baseballs-for-2021#:~:text=Major League Baseball will alter the baseball slightly,feet shorter on balls hit over 375 feet.

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 4:38PM

Back when Lassie was a pup, I seem to remember Casey was married to a tall, voluptuous, blonde woman. They looked like the odd couple.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Justacommeman said:

@craig44 said:

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-to-alter-baseballs-for-2021#:~:text=Major League Baseball will alter the baseball slightly,feet shorter on balls hit over 375 feet.

@Justacommeman said:

@LandrysFedora said:

@Justacommeman said:

@craig44 said:

Thanks.