Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

As a seller, I no longer leave feedback for Buyers unless they leave feedback first.

Am tired of leaving instant feedback upon buyer's immediate ebay payment, with nothing in return when the item is delivered. Gen Z will be the end of the world.

Comments

• Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭

We need larkincollector to save us from this hideous ebay and delayed sub poppage world ! ]

Help Us Larkin, Help Us !

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:
    Feedback means literally nothing anyways. When you can't give negatives to deadbeat buyers what's the point of a feedback system in the firstplace?

that is a very true. i have sold a few big dollar cards when i sold most of my late nineties basketball cards and recieved no feedback at all.

• EstilEstil Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:
    Feedback means literally nothing anyways. When you can't give negatives to deadbeat buyers what's the point of a feedback system in the firstplace?

Yeah right. Typically sellers would give negs to buyers to retaliate if the buyer leaves an honest neg review. And at that time Feebay made VERY clear that even if the neg was clearly retaliatory only they won't remove it. That's one of the few GOOD changes Feebay made.

Bottom line, too many sellers abused that privilege, so they lost it. And I'm also glad we no longer live in the bad ol' days when sellers could do an awful job packaging your stuff (I've had more than one back in the day just wrap the set box in brown paper), the item arrives ruined (like a set of cards getting some of the corners dinged/smashed) and the seller can just say you didn't pay extra for the shipping insurance. Sorry. :(

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P+S, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 61D, 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

@Sgt_D said:
    Am tired of leaving instant feedback upon buyer's immediate ebay payment, with nothing in return when the item is delivered. Gen Z will be the end of the world.

I can't speak for anyone else obviously, as I always returned feedback left for me by sellers in the past, but I think you may find that your return feedback will be even lower if you stick with this policy. It does get some buyers to leave it. I have been a firm supporter of seller leaves feedback first, upon payment. The buyer certainly should return the favor once the item arrives as it was sold. Obviously there are lazy people or those that don't care though to ruin the harmonious relationship.

Currently, I have modified my approach slightly, as it takes time to leave feedback and I want those rewarded who also take the time. If the seller has not left feedback for me after the item shows up and I mark it as received, then I may or may not reciprocate later if I notice they finally got off the stick. However, If it's there for me when I get my item, they always get feedback.

As a part time seller here and there, I flipped that policy and always left feedback for the buyer once they paid. It paid off most of the time, but not always. Eventually after a particularly brutal stretch of no return feedback, I started looking at the feedback left for others by the winners of my listings and if it looked like they didn't participate, then I stopped leaving it for them. In the big picture, it's almost meaningless now days and certainly not fair that sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers when the case is warranted, but there was clearly too much retaliation feedback against sellers when a deadbeat buyer got a negative.

I'd almost prefer it went away all together.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • In the beginning, for those too young to remember, eBay was a community and you were unable to purchase items from sellers with good ratings if you had zero or negative ratings. This protected both parties because it enabled trustworthy buyers to purchase from trustworthy sellers. Now it’s just a free for all with scam artists on both ends. Feebay gets their money regardless so they are cool with it being a scammer’s paradise.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 7:27PM

I just can’t be bothered leaving feedback for sellers anymore. It really means nothing, and I frankly don’t care if they leave me feedback either.

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Jayman1982 said:

Agree. don't leave feedback anymore. Waste of time.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

After every shipped order, i always leave positive feedback, of course along with the tracking number.

Has worked well for many years, but i guess everyone has their own business model.

• pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as the buyer pays promptly, I always leave feedback. I don't sell to build up my feedback score nor do I care if they leave me positive feedback in return.

• blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

early days feedback was key. nowadays basically useless. especially when its so easy to get removed.

personally, i think the only time feedback SHOULD be listed is when something went bad. no news is good news.

mounds and mounds of “A+ ebayer” are pointless. you are supposed to get that.

id rather see 3000 rating w 1 neg. or 200 rating w 18 negs. and thats it. would be so much easier to determine risk vs reward.

• detroitfan2detroitfan2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Call me old fashioned but I leave feedback 100% of the time

m

Agreed, and I am loving the fact that ebay extended feedback well past 80 characters. Now if only we could attach a photo to feedback so we could show other potential buyers how some jackleg sellers ship graded cards.

• ckimckim Posts: 24 ✭✭

As buyer/quick payer, I expect positive feedback from seller as token "thank you for your business". When I don't see feedback from seller first for quick payment rendered I am thinking seller is either passive-aggressive type, "lazy" or both that ruins the hobby community for everyone. So I definitely don't leave feedback for such seller even if I am happy with the product.

@ckim said:
    As buyer/quick payer, I expect positive feedback from seller as token "thank you for your business". When I don't see feedback from seller first for quick payment rendered I am thinking seller is either passive-aggressive type, "lazy" or both that ruins the hobby community for everyone. So I definitely don't leave feedback for such seller even if I am happy with the product.

isnt quick shipping in return a form of feedback itself? as a seller, i never left feedback until it was left for me first. and for obvious reasons. as a buyer, it wasnt left it until item arrived safely. and for obvious reasons. now i dont really care either way nor waste the time until something goes haywire.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

My policy remains unchanged: As a seller, I leave positive FB when the buyer pays ("Thanks for the purchase! -Shipping on 5/20"). As a buyer, I leave FB if I receive the seller's FB first. I really don't look at my own FB but I have noticed most of my buyers do not leave any. Not a big deal.

Daniel
  • PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface nailed it. I do not read any seller’s positive feedback, only the negatives. So what’s the point of leaving positive feedback for an established seller? No one is going to read it. I might consider it if it was a good transaction with a new seller with hardly any feedback. But anyone with multiple hundreds of feedbacks, my feedback is just going to go down the rabbit hole.

• thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

@Sgt_D said:

I'm in that crowd that has angered you so, except I'm not Gen Z, so blast away at Gen X. I usually write up feedback every month or so all at one time. I don't check to see whether they left me feedback first. If it was a good experience, I'm happy to write some positive feedback, but I guess it's not on the timetable of some sellers.

• clarke442clarke442 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am mostly a buyer on eBay and always leave feedback (mostly positive) when items are received.
    I feel it's my way of saying I received my item (even if tracking provides this to the seller) and Thank You.

• Jayman1982Jayman1982 Posts: 464 ✭✭✭

@Estil said:

@Jayman1982 said:

Yeah right. Typically sellers would give negs to buyers to retaliate if the buyer leaves an honest neg review. And at that time Feebay made VERY clear that even if the neg was clearly retaliatory only they won't remove it. That's one of the few GOOD changes Feebay made.

Bottom line, too many sellers abused that privilege, so they lost it. And I'm also glad we no longer live in the bad ol' days when sellers could do an awful job packaging your stuff (I've had more than one back in the day just wrap the set box in brown paper), the item arrives ruined (like a set of cards getting some of the corners dinged/smashed) and the seller can just say you didn't pay extra for the shipping insurance. Sorry. :(

When a buyer with 100% feedback score refuses to pay, wastes a week of my time, and then eBay won't allow me to tell other sellers about them, that's a problem, EOS

these are my favs:

ø¤ºUSELESSº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºFEEDBACKº¤ø,¸¸,ø¤ºWAS LEFTº¤ø,¸¸,

• Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭

Just over the last couple of months, I finally started selling off some of the larger stuff. I got a couple thousand feedbacks from lower dollar sales, but when it's time for letting buyers see some good feedback on a few 5 figure items, the buyers aren't leaving the feedback.

Would like to have the visible feedback on the larger items so when selling more larger items, folks could see there has been some very successful and satisfied buyers on some of the larger items.

When I see a seller who historically has sold a million 5 dollar things, then puts up a 20k item, it's just weird, like I don't trust it.
    I forget who Gen Z and Gen X are actually .. heh. I meant the brainwashed people doing all the freakish stuff out there now.

edited May 20, 2021 7:32AM

@Sgt_D said:
    Just over the last couple of months, I finally started selling off some of the larger stuff. I got a couple thousand feedbacks from lower dollar sales, but when it's time for letting buyers see some good feedback on a few 5 figure items, the buyers aren't leaving the feedback.

Would like to have the visible feedback on the larger items so when selling more larger items, folks could see there has been some very successful and satisfied buyers on some of the larger items.

When I see a seller who historically has sold a million 5 dollar things, then puts up a 20k item, it's just weird, like I don't trust it.
    I forget who Gen Z and Gen X are actually .. heh. I meant the brainwashed people doing all the freakish stuff out there now.

the reason the 5 figure buyers arent leaving feedback is because they are out there using their time in a much more valuable manner. in turn, that's why they can buy 5 figure cards. dont take it so personal. i can assure you, they arent doing a forensic breakdown on your past. if anything, and as a buyer of decent valued items, i look for other items listed to see if it's a 1 off listing and how thorough and complete your listing and pics are. i never delve through feedback. check the above, overall rating and any recent negs. that's it.

eta: also, for your generational profiling purposes, i am only 42 & three quarters year old.

the reason the 5 figure buyers arent leaving feedback is because they are out there using their time in a much more valuable manner. in turn, that's why they can buy 5 figure cards.

Ugh, so that's the key! All this time I could have been rich but I've spent upwards of 90 seconds every two days leaving feedback. Who knew?

edited May 20, 2021 8:09AM

@detroitfan2 said:
    the reason the 5 figure buyers arent leaving feedback is because they are out there using their time in a much more valuable manner. in turn, that's why they can buy 5 figure cards.

Ugh, so that's the key! All this time I could have been rich but I've spent upwards of 90 seconds every two days leaving feedback. Who knew?

me.

of course i dont run up to the suggestion box and spend 90 seconds dropping in a love letter each time the cashier checks me out in an orderly fashion either, so...

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a seller, I don't leave feedback until the buyer does simply for one reason - If I leave positive feedback upon payment and the buyer later decides to be an a**hat about something trivial, ebay can't automatically side with the buyer because I left positive feedback and said all was well.

As a buyer, I leave feedback immediately upon receipt of the item to let the seller know all was well.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always find it entertaining that though most people don't care or bother with feedback at all anymore, these threads always seem to generate a lot of feedback either way. ;)

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Does everyone know both feedbacks from buyer & seller perspective can be set up automatically.

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

@blurryface said:

@detroitfan2 said:

me.

of course i dont run up to the suggestion box and spend 90 seconds dropping in a love letter each time the cashier checks me out in an orderly fashion either, so...

And that doesn't surprise me in the least!

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

Feedback means alot to a new seller. Its sad to see that some heartless people on this site don't care.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

Feedback means very little anyway, but I have seen buyers leave a neg simply because the seller wont leave FB. In my opinion, even as a seller, the BUYER paid, that is is only job, not to tell you of an issue. Not leaving feedback is why ebay started the whole "no negs for a buyer" to begin with.

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 22, 2021 3:13PM

Some advice for the newbie sellers on Ebay if ya want it. If you really wish to grow your business on Ebay, i say always leave positive feedback for your buyers. Yes, it may be "meaningless" in the abstract sense of the word. However leaving them nice feedback with a sincere "thank you", i believe is part of a successful business model for repeat customers, and that my friends is real. To truly grow into a good business on Ebay, you really do need repeat customers.

How much time do you spend sorting the items, uploading pics, writing a description, and then processing and shipping the orders? A few extra seconds to leave feedback after all that work, in my view is time well spent. :)

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

As a buyer, I find it lazy for a seller not to oblige with FB as I promptly give it when my item is received.
    Not a big deal for many users, but the newbie sellers (and buyers) rely on it.

• BigTex22BigTex22 Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

Gen X here, and exclusively a buyer. I rarely read feedback on me (I always pay immediately) and leave feedback on all my purchases after the card arrives. Fortunately, so far, all of my purchase experiences have been great.

• IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭

I leave FB the day I ship the item & rarely do I receive it back

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • mrmoparmrmopar Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭

How about multiple feedback between the same seller/buyer.

Here is where I feel a little guilty, but will give the excuse of it takes too much time. I will leave feedback for a seller, but only 1. I tend to buy multiple items from the same seller whenever it makes sense. Some sellers I have gotten to know and will let me hold items for a while to combine shipping together. I figure that benefits both of us, because packaging and shipping is a pain.

Anyway, I realize that only 1 feedback per a certain period of time makes the overall feedback number change, so if I bought 20 items from a seller, who leaves me 20 feedback, I only leave 1 it return. Again, I feel a little guilty about that, but their number is only going to change with the 1 I leave. I would be fine with only 1 per transaction as well, but as noted, I think a lot of continual sellers have it set up for automatic feedback.

I collect Steve Garvey, Dodgers and signed cards. Collector since 1978.
  • PSARichPSARich Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

I leave feedback to buyers when tracking shows me they have received the card. About 30% of buyers reciprocate.