Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Novice collector needs some advice

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum. Just a very novice collector of sports cards right now. I recently acquired a few thousand mid 90's baseball stars. Anywhere from 10 to 200 of individual cards such as Griffey Jr., A-Rod, Clemens, Piazza, Juan Gonzalez, Barry Sanders, Deion Sanders etc. Some rookies. They are all sleeved sitting in a 5000 card box. Most of my collection of other cards are in binders. I like the binders because we can open up and look at the cards. Graded versions of some of the recently acquired cards have recently sold for decent numbers, others not so much.

So I have some questions...

Should I sort through and pull out grading candidates for when PSA starts taking submissions again?

Is storing the cards sleeved in the 9 pocket sheet in binders ok?

Is there any value in the raw cards? I dont need 200 of the same Clemens or Griffey or Rodriguez. I would be willing to do some trading as is.

Some examples:

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

Should I sort through and pull out grading candidates for when PSA starts taking submissions again? Probably not.

Is storing the cards sleeved in the 9 pocket sheet in binders ok? Sure, just don't move them around a lot from sheets to top loaders, etc.

Is there any value in the raw cards? I dont need 200 of the same Clemens or Griffey or Rodriguez. I would be willing to do some trading as is. Not likely.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Hopefully you have cards that you enjoy in there. Otherwise with the cost of grading today, I doubt there is much worth grading in there, other than rookies, and even those need to be in great shape to warrant grading with these prices for grading.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do with them, welcome to the boards, and enjoy collecting !

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2021 10:45AM

Unfortunately your pics don't show anything of grading value, let alone raw value..... But if you do have something, I would not leave them in the pocket pages. In theory they are fine if you don't turn the pages, but depending on which hole they are in and the way you turn the page, things can happen, if they haven't already....

• Options

Thanks Jeff. I agree that there isn't much value in the cards and would only consider grading special ones if the market shows I should. Being just a novice and hobby collector I have never sold or even traded. I will probably just store most and see what happens. I do enjoy looking and showing friends and family. Theres just something about sheets of the same cards and how they look. Maybe its just me. Thanks again!

• Options
    bensiebensie Posts: 59 ✭✭
    edited May 24, 2021 3:13PM

I had fun with "dumpster diving" when grading was $10-12/card. I could usually at least break even with my subs. Now with grading at double that, there's no way. I've been selling bulk lots of my junk wax raw now just to get rid of them. $0.01, 5 day auctions, and prices are nothings to write home about.