Home Sports Talk

trout out up to 2 months

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

just saw the angels expect Mike Trout to miss 6-8 weeks with the calf injury. it seems we are seeing a trend with Trout that full seasons may be a thing of the past for him. I understand last season was shortened, but he hasn't played a full season in 5 years. He has missed significant time in 2 of the last 3 full seasons and now up to 2 months this year.

He turns 30 in a few months. I don't anticipate him becoming more durable as he ages. It is beyond time to move him out of Center. I also think he has been carrying too much weight for a number of years now. he will not have a long career playing outfield at 240 pounds. not a good track record for OFers at that size.

I realize it was for very different reasons, but this is starting to feel like Daryl Strawberrys situation. He was fantastic in his 20s, a future HOFer for sure, then could not stay on the field in his 30s. trout is just about to enter his 30s and he has had a very difficult time with injuries for years now.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

He hangin with Stanton?

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that's the case, i'd sure hate to be loaded up with his rookie cards. 💸

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel bad for the guy. He seems like a very likable person and not a diva. i think it robs us fans of watching him play.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@softparade said:
    He hangin with Stanton?

Stanton is a great comparison. I would say that both guys are fairly big and musclebound.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭✭

Both will make great d/h candidates going forward but will sit well with either of them?

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Given last year (COVID) and now this injury, some career benchmarks may not be reachable, such as hitting 600 home runs. He is 29 with 310 home runs so 500 is definitely doable. Say he comes back and get 10 more this year. Going into 2022, he will have about 320 home runs. Six more seasons of 30 would being him to 500. Father time is unforgiving and I like to believe that Mike Trout will remain productive to his mid 30s. Only time will tell. We have seen many great players fade in their 30s. Albert being the most recent example.

• Sgt_DSgt_D Posts: 85 ✭✭

Pujols is like 50 now. Trout is God.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

So what does this mean for the Angels as a team?

Trout probably would have a WAR of around 10 if he played the full season.
    So with Trout playing all six months the Angels record would be about 71-91.
    (win percentage of .438 which is where it was when Trout went down)
    If he's out for two months or a third of the season let's subtract 3 or 4 wins.
    So they'll finish around 68-94 with him gone for two months.

So basically it doesn't matter one way or another team wise if he misses two months.
    Losers' with him in the lineup, modestly bigger losers' when he's not in the lineup.
    Same as every other year of his career, absolutely zero team success.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭

Honestly, isn't there a certain point where guys are just getting too big. I mean really. He needs to play CF for the Angels not work for Vince McMahon. And yes, Trout is built like a fullback. In the long run it is not healthy. It's out of hand and makes you wonder what is going on. What was his weight when he entered MLB ?? Going forward does he break the 120 game mark ever again??

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

Trout lost most of his age 28 season to COVID and now injured in age 29 season, which are typically peak seasons for baseball players (26-29 peak age). I think this kills most career milestones for him. He will still end up as an all time great (even if he has a Pujols-esque decline as he ages) but top 5-10 pantheon seems less likely unless he can fix his injury bug problems and have at least one amazing postseason run (though signing for life with the Angels doesn't seem to have been the best move for a postseason resume).

As for his card values, he is an all time great and the best of his generation. IMO any dips for his rookie cards (2009 & 2011) should be bought. In the long run, you just can't go wrong with rookie cards for all time great players.

Robb