Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

eBay Payment Dispute

This is the first time I had a dispute filed on an item I sold. It was a payment dispute filed by the buyer. They never contacted me, they just filed a dispute through their CC company. eBay ruled in their favor but said I'm covered by eBay's seller protection program. I called eBay Concierge and asked what the dispute was because the buyer never reached out to me with a complaint. They didn't give me much info on the dispute, only telling me that the buyer submitted it outside of eBay and that eBay took care of the credit. It was only for $50. My question is, should I block this bidder? They have a 130 feedback rating, all positive. The tracking shows the items were received on May 13. The dispute was filed on May 14. Should I worry they're running a scam and that my luck might run out if they do this again on items I sell to them?

Comments

• Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 9:55AM

Msg him & ask whats up..
    What was issue.. & send card back.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 12:30PM

@gemint said:
    My question is, should I block this bidder? They have a 130 feedback rating, all positive. The tracking shows the items were received on May 13. The dispute was filed on May 14. Should I worry they're running a scam and that my luck might run out if they do this again on items I sell to them?

Really?? So they tried to/did screw you and now you think you should maybe keep selling to them?

In reality maybe someone hijacked the account and bought a bunch of stuff with stolen credit cards.

What's the username so we can all be on the lookout?

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 12:45PM

first is first. ebay said “you were covered, nothing to worry about”, right?

so you did your part.
    mailed item and it shows delivered, right?

upon opening the dispute, they yanked out the sales price from your account and put it on “hold”, correct?

so, big question...did they release that money from hold and it went back into your account? 😉

my guess is nope. and that them telling you that you are good means nothing. “youre good” bc they already yanked that money outta your account, so technically you owe nothing...else.

the guy essentially stole from you and ebay did nothing. but gave you a warm fuzzy feeling by saying “youre good” when they sucked that money out the second his bank filed the claim.

eta: if the og amount was minimal then there is a chance ebay did release it back to you on their dime. if its a $501+ card, you got jacked. ebay seller protection program is a joke.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:
    first is first. ebay said “you were covered, nothing to worry about”, right?

so you did your part.
    mailed item and it shows delivered, right?

upon opening the dispute, they yanked out the sales price from your account and put it on “hold”, correct?

so, big question...did they release that money from hold and it went back into your account? 😉

my guess is nope. and that them telling you that you are good means nothing. “youre good” bc they already yanked that money outta your account, so technically you owe nothing...else.

the guy essentially stole from you and ebay did nothing. but gave you a warm fuzzy feeling by saying “youre good” when they sucked that money out the second his bank filed the claim.

eta: if the og amount was minimal then there is a chance ebay did release it back to you. if its a $2100 card, you got jacked.

I checked my payout log. I did receive payout on May 7, when I shipped the item. I don't see any charge back after that. So it does look I got paid.

• Options

wow! usually the instant a buyer or their bank opens a dispute that amount goes directly to “held” status on that day until its resolved. and when found in the buyers favor those funds on hold typically get transferred from that held escrow to their account.

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

Yep. It's a "block and move on". I wouldn't even message the person---you're likely to only find frustration. It's a big sea out there, no need to waste time with folks who cause trouble (that are the significant, significant minority of buyers on eBay).

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@gemint said:
    This is the first time I had a dispute filed on an item I sold. It was a payment dispute filed by the buyer. They never contacted me, they just filed a dispute through their CC company. eBay ruled in their favor but said I'm covered by eBay's seller protection program. I called eBay Concierge and asked what the dispute was because the buyer never reached out to me with a complaint. They didn't give me much info on the dispute, only telling me that the buyer submitted it outside of eBay and that eBay took care of the credit. It was only for $50. My question is, should I block this bidder? They have a 130 feedback rating, all positive. The tracking shows the items were received on May 13. The dispute was filed on May 14. Should I worry they're running a scam and that my luck might run out if they do this again on items I sell to them?

eBay ruled in their favor but said I'm covered by eBay's seller protection …...I don't understand this statement. Do you mean CC ruled in their favor; but Ebay backed you up?? I'm a little confused.

• Options

Feebay doesn’t care because they get their fees regardless. Always check https://badbuyerlist.org/ before shipping stuff and update to help others out.

• Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mickey71 said:

@gemint said:

eBay ruled in their favor but said I'm covered by eBay's seller protection …...I don't understand this statement. Do you mean CC ruled in their favor; but Ebay backed you up?? I'm a little confused.

I assume that's the case. The buyer got the ruling but I still got my money. So I assume eBay took care of it and the CSR I spoke with implied that.

• Options
    professorpuckprofessorpuck Posts: 148 ✭✭✭

That's common -- in many cases, eBay makes it right with both sides and pays themselves.

• Options

I think the issue is it was probably a fraud chargeback.... If it was an issue with the item as not being described or fake, then eBay would have asked the seller for documentation or rebuttal. But since it is most likely fraud, there is no information the seller can provide as all they did was follow the directions of the eBay site to ship to the address that eBay provided. Plus, eBay can't pull money back when it is credit card fraud as the seller had no role in it and no way to filter/qualify the customer..... That's an eBay issue.

• Options
    mtcardsmtcards Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭

I insta-block anyone that opens a return or refund request for any reason, unless I made an obvious mistake

IT IS ALWAYS CHEAPER TO NOT SELL ON EBAY
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mtcards said:
    I insta-block anyone that opens a return or refund request for any reason, unless I made an obvious mistake

100% agree with this.

• Options
    edited May 26, 2021 5:20AM

(didnt think it needed its own thread and technically a payment dispute)

ok, so heres a first. i am the buyer here. purchased a card that was listed as a jersey # card. well it wasnt. seller totally cool and acknowledged the mistake and refunded accordingly. however ebay managed payments only refunded me the purchase price of $15.99 of the $17.27 total. not a big deal considering the minimal amount. my concern is a bigger purchase down the road. did i miss a new policy or something?

i know as a seller they keep the transaction fee, but as a buyer?

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

Along these same lines, did you know Ebay has removed the seller's option to open up a "buyer hasn't paid" claim in the Resolution Center? Apparently the Resolution Center is eventually going away altogether. Now your only options are to keep sending an invoice, or cancel the auction after four days. I typically like to wait 10 days before submitting a "buyer hasn't paid" claim. I prefer that option as opposed to contacting the buyer personally.

The problem with my current situation is, this buyer is from Thailand and Ebay is using the Global Shipping Program, so it won't even let me send them an invoice. I don't like to cancel a transaction without having Ebay give them the standard 3-day warning first. Even if I did contact this buyer personally, there's likely a language barrier.

I really wish Ebay would stop making things worse. They're on a streak of bad updates.

• Options

@jeffcbay said:
    I don't like to cancel a transaction without having Ebay give them the standard 3-day warning first. Even if I did contact this buyer personally, there's likely a language barrier.

Well, ebay doesn't send the Unpaid Item warning email, but I would think that they still send an email telling the customer to complete/pay for the item. I know when I message a seller for a combined invoice and the seller takes a few days, I usually get an email from eBay telling me to pay, days before it would ever get to the formal Unpaid Item email.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

This makes me feel a little better about Ebay's new NPB cancellation procedure. Crediting fees, removing related feedback, and free relisting is good with me.

• Options

@jeffcbay said:
    This makes me feel a little better about Ebay's new NPB cancellation procedure. Crediting fees, removing related feedback, and free relisting is good with me.

agreed. ive also heard they are working on a "cert number box" that is linked to the psa site. so all you will have to do is enter the cert number and most of the pertinent info will be filled in automatically. of course their fees are still gross.