Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Card Back Etiquette

I was recently eyeing a 1978 Topps baseball card on eBay, that was PSA 9 with perfect centering on the back. Cost was ~$330, but there was no back view of the card shown. I reached out to the seller to request a pic of the back - crickets.

Question - what’s the appropriate amount threshold and/or protocol around asking for a back view on a graded card? I suppose anyone can ask on any card, but is it unreasonable to make this request on say a $50 graded card or more? Or should buyers just assume that the back is suspect if not shown, otherwise they’d proudly display and ask for more?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

It’s not unreasonable to ask on any card. If they don’t want to show, you don’t have to buy.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always post pics of the back.

Some people don't care about the backs, but some do. Is this a particularly hard card to get in a 9?

I guess you could always return it if you don't like the back.

Poor customer service would be a big red flag to me!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

you shouldn't have to ask for a back scan at all, regardless of the price tag. the reverse is integral and prospective buyers deserve to know what it looks like, whether a piece of cardboard is worth one dollar or a thousand of them. no two ways about it -- sellers who refrain are straight up lazy. if you heard crickets, then he/she deserves to hear them too. an unwillingness to fulfill a 1-2 minute obligation upon request is wholly undeserving of one red cent from your bank account. that's my moderately perturbed view.