Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Dutch Medal - Joost van den Vondel

Joost van den Vondel

Possibly attributed to Jan Lutma the Younger, dated 1679.

Silver, 62.0 mm Ø, 55.2 g

Obverse: Draped bust of Joost van den Vondel three-quarters facing right. Surrounded by a ribbon wrapped around a laurel wreath, inscribed in separate sections: JOOST VAN DEN VONDEL . Below, on the ribbon ends, inscribed: Gest · 5 Feb 1679 (Died 5 February 1679).

Reverse: A standing swan, singing, with wings outstretched. Surrounded by a ribbon wrapped around a laurel wreath, inscribed in separate sections: Slants Outste en Grooiste Poeet (The Oldest and Greatest Poet of the Land). Below, on the ribbon ends, inscribed: Geb · 17 Nov 1787 (Born 17 November 1587).

Joost van den Vondel (1587-1679) is considered the greatest Dutch poet and playwright. Born to Mennonite parents in Cologne, the family was forced to leave in 1595 and finally settled in Amsterdam. After the execution of Johan van Oldenbarnevelt, Vondel wrote several satires criticizing the extreme Calvinists. Vondel himself would convert to Roman Catholicism. The fourteen poets who carried his coffin at his funeral were apparently given examples of this medal.

Frederiks comments that the attribution to Lutma the Younger is weak. He notes that there seems to be an example of the medal with the Lutma silver mark on the edge. Lutma made an engraving of Vondel, also featuring a singing swan, though the imagery is quite different:

The medal is hollow, consisting of two shells soldered together with a broad rim.

References: Frederiks 1943, p. 37, no. 21/21a; Scher 1997, no. 30; Scher 2019, no. 787

Comments

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

The browser on my personal computer is so outdated that I could not see the images. However, so anxious am I to see whatever Josephus posts that I went to my work computer to check out his post. The swan always is an interesting allegorical creature.
    I had not come across any medals of Lutma the Younger, so I checked out the MA website. Only found one, on the Jongeling Numismatics page and I was quite impressed, both by the medal and by the price!

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar Hope you and yours have been keeping safe in these turbulent times.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    @Zohar Hope you and yours have been keeping safe in these turbulent times.

Thanks harasha - all good here.