Home Sports Talk

Should Reggie Bush have given his Heisman up?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was reading an article about Reggie Bush and was shocked to learn that his Heisman trophy is currently sitting in a storage unit in the New York City area. His 2005 season at USC was one of the greatest ever, he had 2,890 all purpose yards that year. If you remember, Bush and his family accepted cash, travel expenses, and a home where his family could live rent free for a year, along with $10,000 to furnish the home, that was his offense. Should he have given up his Heisman, and should he ever get it back?

Comments

• LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not. The trophy was earned by Mr Bush on the field. Punishment should have maybe been payback of scholarship money or something to that effect. IMHO he should have that Heisman in his possession.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't really have an opinion on this, and haven't thought about it. I will read any opinions that follow.

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think LandryFedora hit it right on the nose, Reggie earned that Heisman trophy and it's a disgrace that it's sitting in a storage unit. A disgrace!

edited May 16, 2021 1:29PM

@thisistheshow said:
    I don't really have an opinion on this, and haven't thought about it. I will read any opinions that follow.

Ok. I guess I skimmed through the OP. I didn't realize he already lost it. I thought you were asking us if he should.

Edited to add: Wow! They took his trophy! I had no idea. I know of many examples where a team forfeits championships, etc, but I didn't know they took his Heisman. The Heisman is so historic. The trophy. The pose.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

The school should be penalized if anyone, not Reggie Bush.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@thisistheshow said:

@thisistheshow said:

Ok. I guess I skimmed through the OP. I didn't realize he already lost it. I thought you were asking us if he should.

Edited to add: Wow! They took his trophy! I had no idea. I know of many examples where a team forfeits championships, etc, but I didn't know they took his Heisman. The Heisman is so historic. The trophy. The pose.

Reggie actually gave the Heisman back to them before they had a chance to take it. I think they were going to take it, so he decided to give it back to them. I would have made them pry it out of my hands!

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Distant memory.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bush earned it on the field. The school should have been fined and put on probation, end of story

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that storage unit comes up for auction, I think i'll put in a bid.

<<< One of the greatest college running backs in history, Reggie Bush was drafted by the New Orleans Saints with the second overall pick in the 2006 draft.

Bush signed a six-year deal worth $62 million, with over $26.5 million guaranteed. >>>

Am i supposed to feel sorry for this guy? Especially since basically everyone agrees that his NFL career was a disappointment, and that he underperformed.

Reggie Bush had the last laugh about this all the way to the bank.

@stevek said:
    <<< One of the greatest college running backs in history, Reggie Bush was drafted by the New Orleans Saints with the second overall pick in the 2006 draft.

Bush signed a six-year deal worth $62 million, with over $26.5 million guaranteed. >>>

Am i supposed to feel sorry for this guy? Especially since basically everyone agrees that his NFL career was a disappointment, and that he underperformed.

You don't have to feel 100% sorry for him, how about we compromise, just feel 45% sorry for him and I can walk away satisfied.

Steve? 45%? Do we have a deal?

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,504 ✭✭✭✭✭

i agree that he earned it. no way he should have given it up.

If played out, there is absolutely no way they could take it back from him if push came to shove.

what would they have done had bush not voluntarily given it up?

would they try to catch a B and E by entering his house by force to remove the trophy?

no way.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Tell ya what, if i buy the trophy in the storage auction, I'll list it on Ebay and Reggie can bid on it and win it back.

@stevek said:

I wasn't even considering feeling sorry for him. It didn't cross my mind. I thought we were just talking about his trophy? 😂🤷

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

I wasn't even considering feeling sorry for him. It didn't cross my mind. I thought we were just talking about his trophy? 😂🤷

You guys should feel sorry for me if i win the bid for 10k on the locker, and there's no dam trophy in there. Turns out it was a locker just for storing janitorial supplies.

Is a stadium used broom worth anything? 🧹

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't forget this:

Rams ordered to pay RB Bush $12.5 million for 2015 injury

A jury ordered the Los Angeles Rams to pay former NFL running back Reggie Bush $12.45 million on Tuesday in a lawsuit stemming from an injury Bush suffered at the Rams’ stadium in St. Louis in 2015, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Per the Post-Dispatch, the jury awarded Bush $4.95 million in compensatory damages and $7.5 million in punitive damages after finding the then-St. Louis Rams 100 percent liable.

“I’m very happy with the verdict,” Bush told the Post-Dispatch. “The people spoke and decided very fairly.”

During a game on Nov. 1, 2015 at what was then called the Edward Jones Dome, Bush ran out of bounds at the end of a play and slipped on a concrete surface between the outer perimeter of the field and the walls of the stadium seats, suffering a torn meniscus that ended his season.

Bush, now 33, played one more NFL season, tallying minus-3 rushing yards on 12 carries across 13 games with the Buffalo Bills in 2016. He announced his retirement last year.

One week before Bush’s injury, then-Cleveland Browns quarterback Josh McCown was unable to stop himself on the concrete and ran into the wall before falling on his back. He injured his shoulder on the play, though he played the next week.

For the Rams’ first home game after Bush’s injury, on Nov. 15, the concrete perimeter was covered with rubber padding.

Bush had also sued public agencies that owned and operated the stadium, but a judge dismissed them from the suit while noting the Rams controlled the state of the stadium for NFL games.

The 2015 season was the Rams’ last in St. Louis before the team moved to Los Angeles. The stadium is now called Dome at America’s Center.

One juror told the Post-Dispatch after the trial that the verdict favoring Bush, “has nothing to do with the Rams leaving. It’s just about the injury.”

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

@Alfonz24 said:
    Don't forget this:

Rams ordered to pay RB Bush $12.5 million for 2015 injury

A jury ordered the Los Angeles Rams to pay former NFL running back Reggie Bush $12.45 million on Tuesday in a lawsuit stemming from an injury Bush suffered at the Rams’ stadium in St. Louis in 2015, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Per the Post-Dispatch, the jury awarded Bush $4.95 million in compensatory damages and $7.5 million in punitive damages after finding the then-St. Louis Rams 100 percent liable.

“I’m very happy with the verdict,” Bush told the Post-Dispatch. “The people spoke and decided very fairly.”

During a game on Nov. 1, 2015 at what was then called the Edward Jones Dome, Bush ran out of bounds at the end of a play and slipped on a concrete surface between the outer perimeter of the field and the walls of the stadium seats, suffering a torn meniscus that ended his season.

Bush, now 33, played one more NFL season, tallying minus-3 rushing yards on 12 carries across 13 games with the Buffalo Bills in 2016. He announced his retirement last year.

One week before Bush’s injury, then-Cleveland Browns quarterback Josh McCown was unable to stop himself on the concrete and ran into the wall before falling on his back. He injured his shoulder on the play, though he played the next week.

For the Rams’ first home game after Bush’s injury, on Nov. 15, the concrete perimeter was covered with rubber padding.

Bush had also sued public agencies that owned and operated the stadium, but a judge dismissed them from the suit while noting the Rams controlled the state of the stadium for NFL games.

The 2015 season was the Rams’ last in St. Louis before the team moved to Los Angeles. The stadium is now called Dome at America’s Center.

One juror told the Post-Dispatch after the trial that the verdict favoring Bush, “has nothing to do with the Rams leaving. It’s just about the injury.”

Only 12.5 million? Aww, it should have been 125 million.

Poor, poor Reggie. 🎻

I think I see where others are possibly conflating their opinion about Bush with their opinion about the trophy. Maybe I am wrong. I do not think that me saying he should have the trophy in any way implies I feel bad for him. Just an observation.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:
    I think I see where others are possibly conflating their opinion about Bush with their opinion about the trophy. Maybe I am wrong. I do not think that me saying he should have the trophy in any way implies I feel bad for him. Just an observation.

I don’t think anyone of us needs to shed a tear about Reginald Bush, he is fine 🙄

If Reggie ever once woke-up in a cold sweat wondering what happened to his Heisman Trophy, i'd be very surprised. 😰

I realize the previous post wasn't really necessary. I just wanted to play the role of thread killer here, and get the final post before this thread falls into cyberspace oblivion.

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

No. He should have just given it to Vince Young, who was the best player that entire season, and proved it to the nation in Reggies home stadium and USC in the national championship game.

edited May 19, 2021 7:36AM

@Goldenage said:
    No. He should have just given it to Vince Young, who was the best player that entire season, and proved it to the nation in Reggies home stadium and USC in the national championship game.

Edited to add: When they took it from Bush, they offered it to Young, and he refused. Bush respects him for that.