Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Herschel Walker the greatest college running back of all time?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was looking over some lists this morning, and a lot of people think Herschel Walker was the greatest college running back of all time. A lot of people rank him above Archie Griffin, Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, and Tony Dorsett. What do you think, is he the best college running back ever?

Comments

• Options

He was a beast, that's for sure.

• Options

He was in phenomenal shape.

• Options

Some people have him as the greatest college PLAYER of all time.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tough call, there have been some insanely great college backs. I Walker sits at 16 & 19 ( with and without bowl games stats included ) on the list/s of all time leading rushers in NCAA history. We might need to start a thread on which college put out the most top tier running backs in history!!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

barry sanders 1988 season was the greatest season a college running back ever had.

i would say barry was the best

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    barry sanders 1988 season was the greatest season a college running back ever had.

i would say barry was the best

Best season but overall career is different. Everyone here knows I’m the biggest Barry Sanders fan and say he is the #1 Back of all time but for college he isn’t even remotely near the top, he literally only had one good season..

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was in elementary school when Walker was in college. I was really getting into football at the time as a fan. I was a huge fan of his. I remember I was playing "hangman" with my friend up the street, and I made his name as the answer. 😂

Best or not, the guy was amazing.

• Options

I watched an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary a few years back that was very interesting, it's called "The best that never was", and it's about Oklahoma Sooners running back Marcus Dupree. He was 6"3' and ran a 100 in 9.5, and it's very interesting. He broke Herschel Walker's high school records and some people say he would have been the best ever if his career had not been derailed by injuries and conflict with his head coach Barry Switzer at Oklahoma. Very fascinating story.

• Options

Here's the preview for the ESPN 30 for 30 about Marcus Dupree.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BAwBqlGqGgE

• Options

And in case anyone is wondering, yes, I'm starting a college running back card collection and I have my eye on a few items on the bay, and no I don't feel guilty about it!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I watched an ESPN 30 for 30 documentary a few years back that was very interesting, it's called "The best that never was", and it's about Oklahoma Sooners running back Marcus Dupree. He was 6"3' and ran a 100 in 9.5, and it's very interesting. He broke Herschel Walker's high school records and some people say he would have been the best ever if his career had not been derailed by injuries and conflict with his head coach Barry Switzer at Oklahoma. Very fascinating story.

I couldn't remember his story much at all, so I just did some googling. Looks like he had a bad knee injury in his second USFL year and it ended everything for the most part. He also had injuries his first year.

The USFL was pretty interesting and wild, imo. It was a different time. A lot of great players went there. I remember loving it. I was finishing up elementary school at the time, huge football fan, and it was exciting.

• Options

I saw that Marcus Dupree 30 for 30, his story is such a shame.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Archie Griffin was pretty good too.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@perkdog said:

@perkdog said:

Yes it is a shame, another "what might have been" type of story.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

I couldn't remember his story much at all, so I just did some googling. Looks like he had a bad knee injury in his second USFL year and it ended everything for the most part. He also had injuries his first year.

The USFL was pretty interesting and wild, imo. It was a different time. A lot of great players went there. I remember loving it. I was finishing up elementary school at the time, huge football fan, and it was exciting.

A fascinating time period for football, players would choose the NFL or USFL, Jim Kelly, Steve Young, Reggie White, and Herschel Walker ended up choosing the USFL I believe, before they made their way to the NFL. I think the CFL was an option also.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Herschel is up there with Barry and Archie as the greatest college RB. Feel bad for Marcus Dupree. Marcus had all the physical tools, and injury eventually ended his USFL career. He did make a brief comeback with the Rams. At Oklahoma, his career ended before it ever truly began. He and Barry Switzer just didn't work out.

• Options

I don't like it, I just don't like it. Look at this, I hate it when card conpanies put images like this on a card. This is a Herschel Walker card, I mean, put him in a football uniform for crying out loud. I like some of the Goodwin Champions cards because some of them have cool backs, but they can really screw up the photos on the front sometimes. He looks like a UFC fighter.

• Options

Oh mama, check out this Bo Jackson Superfractor 1/1. This puppy is listed on the Bay for $50,000!

• Options

I wish paypal would stop sending letters about my account overview to my home. It shows what I've been spending on cards, and sometimes my wife intercepts the mail. There's just some things a woman doesn't need to know!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I wish paypal would stop sending letters about my account overview to my home. It shows what I've been spending on cards, and sometimes my wife intercepts the mail. There's just some things a woman doesn't need to know!

Maybe she has a secret account on here. Just maybe. 🤔

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I don't like it, I just don't like it. Look at this, I hate it when card conpanies put images like this on a card. This is a Herschel Walker card, I mean, put him in a football uniform for crying out loud. I like some of the Goodwin Champions cards because some of them have cool backs, but they can really screw up the photos on the front sometimes. He looks like a UFC fighter.

To be fair, he's got a 2-0 record in MMA.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

He may not be the greatest, but being a Miami Hurricane guy I nominate Edgerrin James. He was an absolute stud at the U.

• Options

Ron Dayne = Bell Cow for Wisconsin. It’s not even remotely debatable

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

Stop it, you're scaring me!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

hasn't she already done enough by holding back those delicious brownies from you?

man I love brownies

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

The answer to the OP's question is yes

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@craig44 said:

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

hasn't she already done enough by holding back those delicious brownies from you?

man I love brownies

Yes, she has, and brownie neglect is a serious offense. I can forgive, but I won't forget!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Archie Griffin was pretty good too.

Ohio State LEGEND. Heisman Trophy winner Twice? Ridiculous

• Options

USC. Mike Garrett, Marcus Allen, Orenthel James, Anthony Davis, Charles White, Ricky Bell... ‘Nuff Said

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Melvin Gordon was amazing. Should've won the Heisman in 2014. Rushed for 2,587 yards. One game that year, he set the single-game NCAA Football Bowl Subdivision rushing mark with 408 yards on 25 carries in just three quarters against Nebraska.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2021 5:50AM

There are too many great college backs. To say that one was better than the other is just not reasonable.

Here’s one for you. Tell me the only college football player who was the MVP of three consecutive national championship games, yet he never played a down in the NFL.

He was just the perfect fit on one of the greatest teams of all time.

• Options

@Goldenage said:
    There are too many great college backs. To say that one was better than the other is just not reasonable.

Here’s one for you. Tell me the only college football player who was the MVP of three consecutive national championship games, yet he never played a down in the NFL.

He was just the perfect fit on one of the greatest teams of all time.

I won't give away the answer, but I will add... I thought his never playing a down in the NFL had more to do with health issues than anything else. Please correct me if I am wrong. Either way, the three MVPs is an amazing record to hold, and I think one of them was even in a loss.

• Options

I’m going to take a stab at this. Would it be Tommy Frazier?

• Options
    edited May 18, 2021 9:11AM

If there was instant replay back then, Tommie Frazier would have beaten Florida State, MiamiFla, and Florida in three consecutive national championship games. He beat Warren Sapp and Ray Lewis in their home stadium. Destroyed Florida 62-24 in Arizona. An 18-16 loss to FSU where he was also MVP.

It’s hard to measure his greatness because he was an option QB who had incredible athletes around him.

To be in 3 consecutive national championship games is just amazing, and then two years later they destroyed Peyton Manning and Tennessee to share another championship.

• Options

So I guessed correctly?

• Options

@perkdog said:
    So I guessed correctly?

👍👍

• Options
    edited May 18, 2021 11:36AM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    So I guessed correctly?

👍👍

Wow and I really didn’t cheat either

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    So I guessed correctly?

👍👍

What Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong said for 200 Alex.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    So I guessed correctly?

👍👍

Well my reputation here speaks for itself 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    So I guessed correctly?

👍👍

I actually read @Goldenage 's comment as a well-placed joke, not as an accusation that you cheated. Either way, I know you didn't. I didn't know the answer, but I was so intrigued by it I looked it up myself. That led to what I knew about his injuries.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@Goldenage said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:
    So I guessed correctly?

👍👍

I actually read @Goldenage 's comment as a well-placed joke, not as an accusation that you cheated. Either way, I know you didn't. I didn't know the answer, but I was so intrigued by it I looked it up myself. That led to what I knew about his injuries.

I did too that’s why I gave his post a “LOL”. And gave the emoji on my response. @Goldenage is all good as far as I’m concerned 👍👍

• Options

My remark wasn’t pointed at perk. I believed him.

• Options

@Goldenage said:

I'm glad we got this sorted out 😂 it looks like I was the only one confused....

• Options

@Goldenage said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Goldenage said:

I'm glad we got this sorted out 😂 it looks like I was the only one confused....

All good all around 🍻🍻🙌🙌