Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Grading on edges

NaithGNaithG Posts: 21

Hi all. I’m new to having cards graded so apologies if I’m asking something obvious here but I really don’t understand how cards can be graded when they clearly have really poor edges? I’ve seen some cards that I think look like they’ve been cut with a blunt spoon and they’re getting 9’s or 10’s?! I’ve read that grading firms mark down for printing errors so I would think that this would come under the same thing?
I have loads of original Topps Star Wars that I purposely haven’t had graded as I assumed they would grade badly. I’ve noticed PSA don’t se to mind but I’m not sure about other firms like SGC? Hopefully I’ve enclosed a pic of that I mean. I would have assumed this card would be nowhere near a 10.......

Comments

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2021 6:49AM

I think it has to do with how they were originally issued. If it was like O-pee-chee, where the default was a rough edge, then a 10 would be with a rough edge. Maybe they were made in Canada?!

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2021 7:47AM

PSA is more kind to O-Pee-Chee than any black bordered cards. Their "policy" seems non congruent to me.

^ no not my card. Image direct from PSA's 1973 O-Pee-Chee Baseball Population Report. click image to go to the page.

While many O-Pee-Chee's do appears to have been cut with old dull box-cutters in a dark room some are much nicer than others. Was not easy to find the one I wanted that did not have an eye appeal reducing cut (at least on from of card). Glad I pulled the trigger last Spring on my 70's O-Pee-Chee "grail"

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    edited May 16, 2021 8:48AM

@RufussCkingston said:
    I think it has to do with how they were originally issued. If it was like O-pee-chee, where the default was a rough edge, then a 10 would be with a rough edge. Maybe they were made in Canada?!

I do have some Canadian issue Topps Star Wars and some of those are similar along one edge so I assume they wouldn’t be down graded then because of it.
    It’s the same with the Topps 1987 NFL set I have. On a lot of these one edge looks like it’s been cut by a drunk child! Again though PSA don’t seem to mind. The second pic below is one ive seen that looks nowhere near the grade it received to me, and the first is a couple from the set I have that I thought wouldn’t be good enough to grade. Don’t get me wrong I know they’re not high value cards but I was going to get the graded

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NaithG said:
    Hi all. I’m new to having cards graded so apologies if I’m asking something obvious here but I really don’t understand how cards can be graded when they clearly have really poor edges? I’ve seen some cards that I think look like they’ve been cut with a blunt spoon and they’re getting 9’s or 10’s?! I’ve read that grading firms mark down for printing errors so I would think that this would come under the same thing?
    I have loads of original Topps Star Wars that I purposely haven’t had graded as I assumed they would grade badly. I’ve noticed PSA don’t se to mind but I’m not sure about other firms like SGC? Hopefully I’ve enclosed a pic of that I mean. I would have assumed this card would be nowhere near a 10.......

Unlike many here, I think the "rough cut" cards are ugly and PSA should downgrade for this.

PSA makes their decisions and they have decided to accept the rough cuts.

Many believe this cut is a guarantee of authenticity, they are mistaken, I am sure a "good" card alterer could mimic it.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@NaithG said:

Unlike many here, I think the "rough cut" cards are ugly and PSA should downgrade for this.

PSA makes their decisions and they have decided to accept the rough cuts.

Many believe this cut is a guarantee of authenticity, they are mistaken, I am sure a "good" card alterer could mimic it.

I do agree - it just seems odd that if a card isn’t centred properly it gets down graded (obviously a fault at printing and not the buyers fault) but if it has a hideous edge (again a fault at printing) then it doesn’t get down graded. Does anyone know if that’s just PSA or are SGC etc the same??

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am not sure on SGC. Do a search on ebay and see what you find.

I understand the reasoning on "allowing" the rough cut, but in fact OPC did cut some cards very sharply.

A rough cut card should (imo) never get a "mint" grade, as a nicely cut one is (to me) more desirable.

If ALL the OPC's were badly cut there might be an argument to be made.

Some of the rough cuts are horrible, who decides how much (if any) to penalize a card for any reason. Similar with print flaws, some are ignored or at least downplayed on some cards .

Too much subjectivity in grading.

Buy the card, not the holder and buy what you like.

Have fun collecting!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Yeah, good advice. I’ll check out how SGC grade rough edge cards. I may well send a few to get graded just to test what happens
    Cheers
    Naith