Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Thank you atom!

My dear co collector of Ottoman coins from Egypt and Turkey when in high grades, alerted me to the latest auction of the Egyptian gold lira (100 qirsh) from 1293/12 , a one year type that I owned in MS62 and resold in 2012 and I’ve been trying hard to get a decent if possible MS64 example, but there were only two in the census, now three and one 65 on a total mintage of 40-60000, not sure because I’m quoting from memory.

So after all that wait and with more Darkside help, it seems that this is now finally mine:

https://www.numisor.ch/coins-auctions/online-auction-18/may-2021-online/343/egypt-ah-1293-12-100-qirsh-abdul-hamid-ii-graded-m/

I welcome atom, to post his photo of his NGC MS64 for much better enjoyment of the coin. Thank you Aaron.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

Comments

• Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2021 3:17PM

Sorry double post! 🥴

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 16, 2021 5:26AM

Enjoy!

• Options
    edited May 14, 2021 6:07PM

You can add a 3rd in MS64 now Aaron, even though by looking at the census,mthey have two different 1293/12, with one 64 in the second category and two 64 in the first. A mini variety perhaps? I have no idea. Dream coin for so long. :)

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/egypt-1595-1914/sc-106/100q/

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2021 6:34PM

This is an image taken from our host’s site of a lowly MS62, one of four in this grade by our hosts with none better. And four more in AU58, this coin flocks towards NGC in its higher grades by a big but thin margin, only 3-4 coins in 64 and 65.

There are of course 15 MS63s in NCC’s census but only two 64s and a single 65. And an additional 64 in a subcategory that I do not grasp in the census.

You can all see, by looking at any other Egyptian Ottoman and much less Turkish Ottoman that this is a one year type by its beautiful floral decorations around. A classic world gold coin IMHO that will at some point appreciate a lot in value, not that now it is cheap, but the big scarcity of 64 and 65 in a total mintage of 50 or 60 thousand clearly shows that these were used into circulation and the exceptions are counted in the fingers of one hand so far with fingers to spare.

It is not as popular as later Egyptian gold lira, like the ones with Fuad or the 1938 Farouk one, but their mintage is even smaller, 15 or 20 thousand, and mostly, they have a head on the obverse.

A coin with no head on the obverse, but a toughra instead is hard to impossible to swallow by many collectors. This is the only factor keeping this coin still affordable, otherwise it has among the highest premiums in Ottoman gold liras (100 qirsh or 100 Kurush are called liras when in gold) of no special status ,such as 20-30 pieces struck to commemorate some of the Sultan’s most important visits.

Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    FilamCoinsFilamCoins Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭

Nice looking coin!

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful calligraphy ❤

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some of my best coins have been obtained either from friends or because friends have alerted me! Puts the icing on the cake and congratulations on a great coin for both of you!