Homeβ€Ί Sports Talk
Options

Brutal assault at Padres game

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wednesday night at the Padres vs Rockies game, two fans were involved in a verbal altercation that led to one fan brutally punching the other fan in the face, it was all caught on tape. The fan that was assaulted was later cintacted by police and decided not to press charges. Here's the video of the incident.

Comments

• Options

Here's the other angle of the video.

• Options
    edited May 14, 2021 4:26AM

As you can see in the first video, after the assault occured, some other fans came to the victims rescue and jumped on the attacker.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

he gets jumped by like 3 people what an idiot did he think he was just going to walk back and sit down?

the after the fact jumpers should have given him a good shoe shining on the ground

You never forget the first time you get shoe shined :D it leaves a big impression on you , and a few indentations sometimes too

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

The kid that got hit is an idiot, he needs to understand that when someone is marching towards you after a verbal exchange you need to throw punches as soon as he gets within striking distance. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    he gets jumped by like 3 people what an idiot did he think he was just going to walk back and sit down?

the after the fact jumpers should have given him a good shoe shining on the ground

You never forget the first time you get shoe shined :D it leaves a big impression on you , and a few indentations sometimes too

That was standard operation procedure pre 2000 lol

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

What was the verbal argument about?

@perkdog said:
    The kid that got hit is an idiot, he needs to understand that when someone is marching towards you after a verbal exchange you need to throw punches as soon as he gets within striking distance. πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

@perkdog Considering it is all on camera, and everything is on camera these days, I don't advise throwing the first punch unless necessary. But I would advise having your hands up. You can raise them in a manner which sort of says "hold on, I don't want any trouble". But they are up in a defensive position, He could have deflected/blocked that punch and immediately retaliated. Just my opinion. Having your hands up as he approaches is definitely number one on my list. Second, don't get caught just looking him in the eye. Be watching for that swing, etc. I guess that guy really wasn't expecting that. He truly got knocked out. I like how those guys go after the attacker, and the one jumps over the seats!

• Options

Is there follow up video? I'd like to see the next thirty seconds.

I'm replaying this and looking at the expressions of the people in the back. Some are horrified. Some, even the ladies, are smiling ear to ear and excited to see a fight.

I think all people, regardless of size, skill, etc should watch videos of actual fights and altercations and learn from them. That guy who gets knocked out does everything wrong. I really believe in that hands up position I mentioned above. It is not threatening, doesn't put you as the aggressor, but leaves you 100% able to block, defend, and strike as needed. But the thing is that you need to be thinking about that and prepared before this happens. He was totally caught off guard. Even the way he is standing. That guy is obviously walking over there on a mission. And you know he is going to come in with that big swing.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

He is clearly a beta male.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@perkdog Considering it is all on camera, and everything is on camera these days, I don't advise throwing the first punch unless necessary. But I would advise having your hands up. You can raise them in a manner which sort of says "hold on, I don't want any trouble". But they are up in a defensive position, He could have deflected/blocked that punch and immediately retaliated. Just my opinion. Having your hands up as he approaches is definitely number one on my list. Second, don't get caught just looking him in the eye. Be watching for that swing, etc. I guess that guy really wasn't expecting that. He truly got knocked out. I like how those guys go after the attacker, and the one jumps over the seats!

I have been in many fights on the street and seen more fights in my 20 year jail career than 95% of the population that I would bet money on. Street smarts tell you when you need to throw hands, cameras or not that kid should have thrown first or did a better job with his hands, I mean he gets smashed, falls and who knows where his head could have hit. I’m punching someone if they are advancing towards me like that pretty much every time, especially if they are bigger than me.

• Options

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

I have been in many fights on the street and seen more fights in my 20 year jail career than 95% of the population that I would bet money on. Street smarts tell you when you need to throw hands, cameras or not that kid should have thrown first or did a better job with his hands, I mean he gets smashed, falls and who knows where his head could have hit. I’m punching someone if they are advancing towards me like that pretty much every time, especially if they are bigger than me.

I understand and agree completely. I wanted to put my two cents in regarding the hands because I think that is smart. What I am saying is, yes as that guy approaches he should have his hands up and be squared off. And then keep your eyes where they need to be.

• Options
    edited May 14, 2021 7:19AM

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

@thisistheshow said:

@perkdog said:

I understand and agree completely. I wanted to put my two cents in regarding the hands because I think that is smart. What I am saying is, yes as that guy approaches he should have his hands up and be squared off. And then keep your eyes where they need to be.

We are on the same page πŸ‘πŸ‘. In most cases you can literally sense physical danger from someone unless your the type that walks around with perma grin thinking everything is sunshine and rainbows lol

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

while i havent been in as many altercations as Perk, it sounds, I have been a part of a few donnybrooks in my time. I wholeheartedly agree that you can sense physical danger when it presents.

at this point in life, I am far far removed from initiating anything like that, but I cant imagine just standing there while another Male rolls up on me like that. you are almost asking for a broken jaw or orbital bone.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    while i havent been in as many altercations as Perk, it sounds, I have been a part of a few donnybrooks in my time. I wholeheartedly agree that you can sense physical danger when it presents.

at this point in life, I am far far removed from initiating anything like that, but I cant imagine just standing there while another Male rolls up on me like that. you are almost asking for a broken jaw or orbital bone.

Just so you know β€œDonnybrook” is one of my all time favorite words, it absolutely does not get used enough πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

• Options

I read a bit more about it, but I can't find anything about what was said between the two. One thing is for certain, the guy that got punched was a Rockies fan and the puncher was a Padres fan. I'm guessing they were going back and forth at eachother and it just escalated and the Padres fan decided it was time for violence. The other fans jumped on the attacker and threw some shots and held him there until the police got there. It said the victim was knocked out cold and his glasses flew off. When the victim woke up, he told the police he did not want to press charges.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man that guy got wrecked,hardcore. Kevin Love’s intent there was clearly obvious,why would you not make any effort to defend yourself in that situation?

• Options

If I were the victim, as soon as I saw Kevin Love walking toward me, I would have immediately gotten into my praying mantis karate stance, and warned, "stay back hooligan, I've got a black belt in Kung Fu!" If Kevin continued towards me, then I would be forced to go Daniel son on him!

• Options

@perkdog said:

@craig44 said:

Just so you know β€œDonnybrook” is one of my all time favorite words, it absolutely does not get used enough πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚.

I agree.

That is one of the small details that made this MLB fight great. Go to about 55 seconds and let it play.

https://youtu.be/y61xK2GzFDM

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was sucker punched once in high school thanks to a buddy. Not fun. :s
    My buddy didn't sucker punch me, but was the root cause of it.
    Bad thing was, him and me in town next county over, and up against six of them bastiges!
    In retrospect I wonder why he was my buddy?

• Options

Just so you guys know, you haven’t enjoyed the special kind of getting blasted by someone until you get hit so hard that you crap your pants. It happened to me once 😟. It wasn’t fun πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    If I were the victim, as soon as I saw Kevin Love walking toward me, I would have immediately gotten into my praying mantis karate stance, and warned, "stay back hooligan, I've got a black belt in Kung Fu!" If Kevin continued towards me, then I would be forced to go Daniel son on him!

That Rockies fan should have just thrown a ball to Kevin Love, he probably would have just quit what he was doing at that point. ;)

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

That Rockies fan should have just thrown a ball to Kevin Love, he probably would have just quit what he was doing at that point. ;)

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    I was sucker punched once in high school thanks to a buddy. Not fun. :s
    My buddy didn't sucker punch me, but was the root cause of it.
    Bad thing was, him and me in town next county over, and up against six of them bastiges!
    In retrospect I wonder why he was my buddy?

Bill Burr has a great bit about a guy he just met almost drawing him into a beatdown by throwing out racial slurs. It's hilarious.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

That guy was old enough to be his father. Punk move by a punk.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2021 12:58PM

A couple of weeks ago at the Ruiz vs Arreola boxing match, fans had some words with eachother and an all out brawl took place in the stands.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K_Ldn0F7ue4

• Options

Here's another angle of the fan brawl at the Ruiz vs Arreola match.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hZYDnfJ-A-k&t=41s

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2021 1:11PM

@grote15 said:

That guy was old enough to be his father. Punk move by a punk.

yup. there is nothing that guy could've done. he was a middle-aged man, much smaller, and he was dealing with a drunk. he was gonna get it one way or another. if you slow the clip down, he actually extends his hands and puts them on the punk right before his lights were turned out -- but he was at a reach disadvantage and it was too late. i'm sure he anticipated a lot of jawing, but not that.

edit: the most alarming thing of all is that someone can do something like that in broad daylight, with innumerable witnesses, with a crystal clear phone vid, and he gets off scot-free because the victim won't press charges. welcome to bizarro world.

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Thus far in life I have avoided any major fisticuffs and I have been to a ton of sporting events, a ton of bars, parties, etc.... Seems to me most of the time it starts with smack talking. I wish they had a mic on the guy that knocked the __ out because I would love to know what he said. He isn't 100% innocent I am quite sure.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another reason I don't go out to sporting events nearly as much as I used to. People are insane. The mix of adult beverages and testosterone at these events doesn't help much either. If you ever want to see a crazy full stadium brawl just google up Miami Hurricanes/FIU brawl. Me and my wife were there. Teams on the field in a full brawl and fights everywhere in the stands. It got pretty dicey at one point. I just stood there with my wife watching the stadium implode around us there.

• Options

About a year ago, I was at the Wal-Mart neighborhood market right across the street from where I live and it was about 7:30 a.m. and the place had just opened. So, I'm standing in the self check out lane ringing up my stuff and this girl about 25 years old comes walking in and goes to the customer service desk and she wants them to cash a check for her. They told her they couldn't cash the check, and all of a sudden she explodes. She starts yelling profanities at the employees, and then starts going ballistic and goes running over to the candy isles and starts grabbing the boxes of candy and throwing them everywhere. They had some balloons for valentines Day sitting out and she runs over there and starts tearing up and popping the balloons. Next, she runs over to a table where they had some stuff and flips the table over. I'm standing there in disbelief and in shock as she goes crazy on them because they wouldn't cash her check. The police have been called by this point and are on the way. So, she's on the warpath and just destroying anything she can get her hands on, I mean, she's running around demolishing the store, turning over racks, grabbing everything she can get her hands on and slinging it all over the place, and the employees are chasing her around and trying to stop her from tearing the place apart. Next she goes over to a store window and starts trying to bust it out, so finally one of the male employees grabs her and picks her up and starts carrying her out of the store and she's kicking and screaming and trying to get free, and then she bites his arm and he starts bleeding and blood from the wound starts dripping on the floor, but he manages to get her outside and get her on the ground. I am in total disbelief, so I finish ringing up my stuff and when I head outside, the police are outside fighting with the girl. She had somehow gotten free, and now they're trying to get her in handcuffs. So I go around to my car, and I can't help but watch because I have to see the ending to this show. So finally they get her in handcuffs and into the patrol car. Next thing I know, an ambulance shows up to treat the guy who was bitten on the arm. It was quite an experience to watch drama like that just explode out of nowhere, you never expect things like that to happen and when it does, it's surreal, almost like a dream or something. You just can't believe what you're seeing. Here is a photo of my Wal-Mart where this event happened.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    About a year ago, I was at the Wal-Mart neighborhood market right across the street from where I live and it was about 7:30 a.m. and the place had just opened. So, I'm standing in the self check out lane ringing up my stuff and this girl about 25 years old comes walking in and goes to the customer service desk and she wants them to cash a check for her. They told her they couldn't cash the check, and all of a sudden she explodes. She starts yelling profanities at the employees, and then starts going ballistic and goes running over to the candy isles and starts grabbing the boxes of candy and throwing them everywhere. They had some balloons for valentines Day sitting out and she runs over there and starts tearing up and popping the balloons. Next, she runs over to a table where they had some stuff and flips the table over. I'm standing there in disbelief and in shock as she goes crazy on them because they wouldn't cash her check. The police have been called by this point and are on the way. So, she's on the warpath and just destroying anything she can get her hands on, I mean, she's running around demolishing the store, turning over racks, grabbing everything she can get her hands on and slinging it all over the place, and the employees are chasing her around and trying to stop her from tearing the place apart. Next she goes over to a store window and starts trying to bust it out, so finally one of the male employees grabs her and picks her up and starts carrying her out of the store and she's kicking and screaming and trying to get free, and then she bites his arm and he starts bleeding and blood from the wound starts dripping on the floor, but he manages to get her outside and get her on the ground. I am in total disbelief, so I finish ringing up my stuff and when I head outside, the police are outside fighting with the girl. She had somehow gotten free, and now they're trying to get her in handcuffs. So I go around to my car, and I can't help but watch because I have to see the ending to this show. So finally they get her in handcuffs and into the patrol car. Next thing I know, an ambulance shows up to treat the guy who was bitten on the arm. It was quite an experience to watch drama like that just explode out of nowhere, you never expect things like that to happen and when it does, it's surreal, almost like a dream or something. You just can't believe what you're seeing. Here is a photo of my Wal-Mart where this event happened.

The surreal part of one of these events is so true. You just keep saying to yourself is this really happening?

• Options

People are capable of ANYTHING.

• Options

@LandrysFedora and @perkdog, Yes these types of events just happen out of nowhere, one minute everything is calm and normal and the next minute it's pure chaos! And if there is one thing I have learned, it's that people are definitely capable of anything, this world is filled with nuts!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    @LandrysFedora and @perkdog, Yes these types of events just happen out of nowhere, one minute everything is calm and normal and the next minute it's pure chaos! And if there is one thing I have learned, it's that people are definitely capable of anything, this world is filled with nuts!

100% agreed