Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Proof like designation?

ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you have to ask PCGS to check for the proof like designation on a coin? Or will they just assign it if they feel it meets the requirements. Say on a Barber Quarter. Has anyone been surprised by receiving a PL designation on a submission?

Comments

  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2021 5:50PM

    Designations are part of the grading process so they are automatically evaluated.

  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @david3142 said:
    Designations are part of the grade so they are automatic.

    I think they’re automatic, too. However, while I admit to being picky, I believe that though they’re usually mentioned along with the grade, designations are separate and apart from the grade. For example, PCGS used to have a separate “designation review” and it had nothing to do with a review of the (numerical) grade.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2021 5:40PM

    I don't understand how any designation such as PL, DMPL, FB, FH etc can be "automatic". Am I missing something?

    65 is the Grade. It is numerical and based, for the most part, on surface impairments.
    PL is a Designation. I'd consider it an appended modifier signifying a distinctly different attribute than one normally encountered for that design.

    If the question is
    "If I send a raw coin to PCGS will they, without being prompted in any way whatsoever, apply a designation" ,
    the answer is yes. :D

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ColonelJessup said:
    I don't understand how any designation such as PL, DMPL, FB, FH etc can be "automatic". Am I missing something?

    65 is the Grade. It is numerical and based, for the most part, on surface impairments.
    PL is a Designation. I'd consider it an appended modifier signifying a distinctly different attribute than one normally encountered for that design.

    If the question is
    "If I send a raw coin to PCGS will they, without being prompted in any way whatsoever, apply a designation" ,
    the answer is yes. :D

    “Automatic” as in automatically applied, if merited. The submitter need not list or designate the coin as such on the submission invoice. But your post was most excellent and said it much better.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @MFeld said:

    @ColonelJessup said:
    I don't understand how any designation such as PL, DMPL, FB, FH etc can be "automatic". Am I missing something?

    65 is the Grade. It is numerical and based, for the most part, on surface impairments.
    PL is a Designation. I'd consider it an appended modifier signifying a distinctly different attribute than one normally encountered for that design.

    If the question is
    "If I send a raw coin to PCGS will they, without being prompted in any way whatsoever, apply a designation" ,
    the answer is yes. :D

    “Automatic” as in automatically applied, if merited. The submitter need not list or designate the coin as such on the submission invoice. But your post was most excellent and said it much better.

    I would trade all the compliments in the world for the return of the "disagree" button :#

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    ironmanl63ironmanl63 Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It sounds like if the see it as meriting the designation they will automatically apply it. I can’t help but feel like graders will miss some coins that merit a designation if not alerted to it before hand. I am a novice and may be wrong but knowing graders only look at coins for mere seconds is not reassuring.

  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2021 7:55AM

    Speaking as a former TPG grader: A strong grader can pick up PL and DMPL as soon as the raw coin is out of the flip and in their hand. This particular attribute (designation) is easily picked up naked eye.

    Be reassured :D

    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ColonelJessup said:
    Speaking as a former TPG grader: A strong grader can pick up PL and DMPL as soon as the raw coin is out of the flip and in their hand. This particular attribute (designation) is easily picked up naked eye.

    Be reassured :D

    On the other hand, for coin types that have only been eligible for the PL designation more recently, the graders might not have the designation as firmly implanted as they do for Morgan dollars (and other long-standing designations, such as FH, FBL, etc.).

    If the OP is concerned, he might want to write "PL" on the submission invoice or see if there is already a unique PCGS number assigned to the coin in "PL". And if there is, include it on the submission invoice.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file