Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

AU or Unc on 1934 $20 Note?

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

The seller called this an AU, but he is usually conservative on grading. I didn't see any circulation or handling, how would you grade?

Comments

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭

Yup, side light w/ LED and candle-light = shine a bright light behind the note to make an X-Ray effect.

No way to tell otherwise... you'll just be guessing on condition!

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

As above.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some notes can look Unc in pic but in hand are AU or even XF. Buy TPG graded notes.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

I agree with the above but just from looking at the OP image, I can see that the back borders look a little sketchy (somewhat darker suggesting it has been worn, or sitting in a wallet for a while). The lower back border seems to show/suggest more wear than the front bottom border but both appear a bit darker than the remaining border.

For me: If a seller states it's AU than it usually is (& I just hope not EF).

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Some notes can look Unc in pic but in hand are AU or even XF. Buy TPG graded notes.

Many notes worth a few hundred dollars are not worth the submission with fees substantial. How can a dealer justify the costs and will buyers be willing to pay them? I would certify virtually everything if the cost of grading were $10-$20 and done in several weeks.