Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How does this even happen?

My brother's recent package.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes! It got caught in between two moving parts. Sad to see the actual coin damaged in that way.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's terrible! I've gotten a cracked slab, but nothing that harmed a coin. I hope that isn't a one of a kind.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's heartbreaking :(

Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why do bad things happen to good coins?

Oh man hope your brother gets made whole.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like the Italian auction house is giving him a run-around in terms of who's responsible for getting paperwork from USPS, filing the claim, etc... Hope he's made whole.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed the packaging from European auction firms isn't as protective as those I received from US firms like Stacks and Heritage.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoKopeiki said:
    Sounds like the Italian auction house is giving him a run-around in terms of who's responsible for getting paperwork from USPS, filing the claim, etc... Hope he's made whole.

Regardless of how the responsibility for filing gets sorted out, be sure your brother is aware of this (from USPS DMM):

2.0 Providing Proof of Loss or Damage
    If a claim is filed because some or all of the contents are missing or damaged, the addressee must retain the mailing container, including any damaged articles, all packaging, and any contents received. Upon written request by the USPS, the addressee must make this proof available to the local Post Office for inspection, retention, and disposition in accordance with the claims decision. Failure to do so will result in denial of the claim.

• Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

I saw the first photo, and thought "Well, at least the coin looks ok", then I scrolled down to the second photo. Ouch. Hope this manages to get resolved, shame about the damage to the coin.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2021 10:18PM

Occasionally, coin sellers (and book sellers too) do not properly pack their items for what can be an arduous trip. Foreign or domestic, sometimes the post is rough and items need to be packed for that eventuality.

I have had foreign auction firms (I'm looking at you, Fruhwald) throw the items in a bubble bag and pop them in the post (see the pic of my package from Austria which, as expected from the packaging, arrived empty). I have had multiple items in one flip (can you say cheap!), and of course they rub together in shipment. One time, I even specifically asked the auction house to be sure it was well-packed (and it was not an inexpensive order), and it just so happened US Customs decided to open that package. Well, it wasn't packed well, and US Customs are animals. Again, coin damage.

One domestic seller of numismatic books (supposedly a professional, and they charge professional prices for packaging) sent me my order with what I call "ebay packing" complete with reused boxes and reused materials complete with cockroach in the box! Way to convey that professional image, dude!

Sorry for my rambling. As you can see, this touches a nerve.

Edited to add: all of the auction houses responded apologetically to my complaints about poor packaging, though they did nothing to offset the damage. All except my buddy Fruhwald that is. They never responded to multiple emails nor did Sixbid, who I used to send my bids.