Home Sports Talk
Options

Ebay has ruined my life

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

As most of you know, I search ebay all day long for the latest listings for boxing cards. I type "boxing trading cards" into the ebay search box and it always shows me the latest listings for boxings cards as they are listed all day long. Well, yesterday, ebay changed their policy for sellers to list their cards specifically. I noticed that when I started searching yesterday on ebay, a message kept popping up that said, "We removed some search results to show the most relevant listings". I can no longer see the latest listings for boxing cards like I usually do, it is pure chaos. They're showing me all kinds of cards from every sport when all I want to see is the latest listings for boxing cards. Here is their policy change, and the ebay community is up in arms about this. Not only does it apply to sports cards, but I think it applies to everything sold and bought on ebay.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

“If it’s not broke don’t fix it”.

• Options

@perkdog said:

Yes, absolutely, they should have just left things alone, everyone was all settled in and used to the way things were, and now there's complete chaos. It's dark, and I can't find the light switch!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Yes, absolutely, they should have just left things alone, everyone was all settled in and used to the way things were, and now there's complete chaos. It's dark, and I can't find the light switch!

Seriously, it’s ridiculous. It’s like that in all areas of the workforce, things get switched by some goon who sells it to admin to justify their job and for job security

• Options

My god man, I just typed in boxing cards in the ebay search box and this is was the first listing that popped up. WTH?

• Options

I just typed in boxing cards in the ebay search box again and this is what popped up, a pair of floral greeting cards!

• Options

That is ridiculous

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I just typed in boxing cards in the ebay search box again and this is what popped up, a pair of floral greeting cards!

maybe its your lucky day. those are some really nice greeting cards!!

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I keep trying to tell everybody, bird watching is much more enjoyable than cards, coins, or following sports. Also much less costly and infinitely less aggravating.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

DD have you tried searching for “boxing trading cards” in All Categories? Even with ebay’s new changes nearly all of my saved searches still post the same results as before because each search was made in All Categories(New Listings.)
    Some did say “We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings” but once I click on “View all results” at the end of that sentence I get everything my original saved searches would have shown. I’d just need to spend 10-15 minutes updating any saved searches that had that “We removed” message.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    DD have you tried searching for “boxing trading cards” in All Categories? Even with ebay’s new changes nearly all of my saved searches still post the same results as before because each search was made in All Categories(New Listings.)
    Some did say “We removed some search results to show you the most relevant listings” but once I click on “View all results” at the end of that sentence I get everything my original saved searches would have shown. I’d just need to spend 10-15 minutes updating any saved searches that had that “We removed” message.

Yes, I've also tried boxing trading cards and same thing, everything is all out of whack. Every now and then there will be a boxing card sprinkled in, but it's nothing like it was before when it was nothing but the latest listings of boxing cards. Instead it's mostly stuff like this.

• Options

@stevek said:
    I keep trying to tell everybody, bird watching is much more enjoyable than cards, coins, or following sports. Also much less costly and infinitely less aggravating.

I am going to agree with you here. the kids put out a couple of Hummingbird feeders and it is relaxing to watch them fly around.

I am beginning to think it would be more fun to collect them though. I am still a little slow yet, (they are really fast) but I am trying to figure out what size magnetic to use when I catch one. maybe 360 pt?

• Options

Sorry, maybe that search term isn’t specific enough. Most of mine are something like this one “Michael Jordan Nike (card,poster,set,sample,promo...etc) or “Michael Jordan Star BGS” or something similar but for a specific item(s).
    Not that I’ve bought anything in awhile though,with all of the crazy prices on literally everything I like to collect I’ve just been on the sidelines watching since December. I can’t justify paying 10-20x more on stuff that I was paying $100-150 for just 8-9 months ago.

• Options

This is having a backlash on ebay already, people are starting to complain on ebay community forums about this. I just left a reply to an ebay rep on an ebay community forum and I told them straight up, you guys dropped the ball on this one.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@stevek said:

I am going to agree with you here. the kids put out a couple of Hummingbird feeders and it is relaxing to watch them fly around.

I am beginning to think it would be more fun to collect them though. I am still a little slow yet, (they are really fast) but I am trying to figure out what size magnetic to use when I catch one. maybe 360 pt?

I saw a Youtube video whereby you can actually train hummingbirds to feed out of your hand. It's a little circular feeder around the size and shape of a silver dollar, with a hole in the center for their long beak. I guess there is some sort of nectar that is used. Fill it up, leave it out, and the hummingbirds will figure it out. Then after some time when they get used to it, hold the little feeder in your hand and you may have a number of fine feathered friends coming to personally see you on a regular basis. :)

• Options

i will have to get one of those. the kids will love it!!

• Options

And this is not just affecting the sports card community, there's comic book sellers, action figure sellers, and other sellers complaining on the ebay community forums as well. Yes, I'm freaking out here man!

• Options

@craig44 said:
    i will have to get one of those. the kids will love it!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM8PyDbhOqs

Yes, i think the kids would get quite a thrill over this.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2021 9:06AM

i just typed in golf cards and the first listing that popped up was this trio of 7-11 cups

wth

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    This is having a backlash on ebay already, people are starting to complain on ebay community forums about this. I just left a reply to an ebay rep on an ebay community forum and I told them straight up, you guys dropped the ball on this one.

I think eBay is at the point where they don’t care what anyone thinks. Whether it’s stuff like this or forcing sellers to use Managed Payments or numerous other complaints, they know that they’re the main game in town and can do whatever they want. Sure there are other venues to buy/sell but most if not all come with their own issues and they don’t get anywhere near the amount of eyes on their listings that eBay gets.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2021 9:17AM

@galaxy27 said:
    i just typed in golf cards and the first listing that popped up was this trio of 7-11 cups

wth

Dammit, you know that picture is going to turn this thread into another “Who was the best 3rd baseman?” debate now lol. ;)

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

wth

Maybe because Schmidt used to play a lot of golf. :p

• Options

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

wth

Here you go Steve, your all time favorite baseball player, looking cool on the course, enjoy this fabulous image. No need to thank me, I'm glad to help.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the search box at the top of the page type in "boxer cards". It will show some results and off to the left you can click the box by the specific sport, ie, boxing can be selected. An extra step but it can be done.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

I think eBay is at the point where they don’t care what anyone thinks. Whether it’s stuff like this or forcing sellers to use Managed Payments or numerous other complaints, they know that they’re the main game in town and can do whatever they want. Sure there are other venues to buy/sell but most if not all come with their own issues and they don’t get anywhere near the amount of eyes on their listings that eBay gets.

Yes, unfortunately that is the case, they don't care what we think, they control everything. They're getting as bad as Jeff Bezos!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

wth

Here you go Steve, your all time favorite baseball player, looking cool on the course, enjoy this fabulous image. No need to thank me, I'm glad to help.

That's not funny. 😒

• Options

@telephoto1 said:
    In the search box at the top of the page type in "boxer cards". It will show some results and off to the left you can click the box by the specific sport, ie, boxing can be selected. An extra step but it can be done.

Yes, I have tried that and it's just totally different now. It will show me the same boxing cards that have been there for a while, it used to be a steady stream of new listings all day long.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

I am glad I sold all my coins and do not have to deal with ebay any longer. It has become a joke!

• Options

"We removed some search results to show the most relevant listings."

• Options

Oh, I just tried boxer cards again, and now they're showing me listings for boxer shorts, this is what popped up!

• Options

If this thread turns into a boxers versus briefs, advantages and benefits, then i will never again open this thread.

• Options

@stevek said:
    If this thread turns into a boxers versus briefs, advantages and benefits, then i will never again open this thread.

No Steve, we're not going that route, I refuse to discuss men's panties any further.

• Options

I'll fight ebay every step of the way on this, I've been messaging ebay reps, although it probably won't do any good!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wsEwK69LXjQ&list=PLb9JbJHS-mSMnqp2h83yvKAmYQlZjf3rv

• Options

Sadly, I might have to start collecting boxer shorts, it's the only dang thing I can find!

• Options

^^^^^^

• Options

Could make for some interesting buying opportunities.

I'd love to pickup a genuine '52 Mantle for $1 with free shipping, because nobody else could find the auction.

Of course whether or not the seller ships it, that's another matter. LOL

• Options

I noticed a particularly nasty outrage from one buyer.

• Options

@stevek said:

I noticed a particularly nasty outrage from one buyer.

Yes, isn't it beautiful!

• Options

• Options

• Options

My goodness, stop the madness!